shape
carat
color
clarity

Bridesmaid gifts HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there-

So I''m really really torn. I know 3 of my 4 bridesmaids could really use the financial help in paying for hair and makeup the day of the wedding. With that, I''d get a nice frame with a gift certificate inside that says I''m paying for that, and after I''ll send them a professional photo of us together. The problem is I was thinking that might be too impersonal. The other option is buying them a beautiful bracelet to wear the day of the wedding (and as a keepsake).

Which would you prefer? OR do you have any other ideas???

Thanks in advance!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''d prefer the makeup and the photo frame, honestly. While I feel like it''s more fun to give a sentimental gift, sometimes the more practical one is what the recipient would prefer.
A friend of mine gave me a beautiful bracelet when I participated in her wedding, but I don''t really wear it often. I think I would have much rather had my hair done for free than shelling out $60 for what was, for me, a pretty unnecessary expense, since I really could have done my own hair and makeup. That time is really more about spending the last few hours before the ceremony with the bride, and while ''maids tend to realize that, it can be a little frustrating for budget conscious friends when you have to take out your pocketbook to pay for it (especially after the dress, travel costs, wedding gift, etc).

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
I second the gift certificate/frame idea. It''s not impersonal because it''s going to contain a photo of the two of you! How much more personal can you get? And from my experience as a bridesmaid, I would hugely rather have the (extremely considerate) gesture than another piece of jewelry. I''ve been given jewelry twice, and I''ve never yet worn either piece again.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for the gift certificate as well. However, do they have to have their hair and makeup done? That always seemed like such a waste to me, to shell out $50 for my hair when I could do it just as well myself. I''d appreciate the bride paying, but I''d still feel it was a waste of money. I get it for the bride, just not for everyone else.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are making them get their hair and makeup done it is only appropriate for you to pay IMO...and personally I think that shouldn''t be their gift since you are making them do it anyway ya know?

If it''s optional for them to get their hair/makeup done then that is another story and I think a nice gift would be more appropriate than paying for hair and makeup.

Just my opinion of course though...

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely the frame and the gift certificate for hair & make-up. It''s a day of getting pampered with people whose company you enjoy. And who doesn''t like having nice pictures with their friends?

I know jewelry to wear on the day of the wedding is a very popular gift, but honestly, it always seems more like a gift for the bride than the attendant. It''s something that the bride expects their attendants to wear (like the fuschia dress and strappy silver shoes that will never be touched again), but it''s considered a present...? However, if you know your girls have had their on on particular pieces, that''s a whole other story!
emwink.gif

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, guess it''s unanimous! I''m not "making" them have their hair and makeup done, but I think it would be nice for all of them have it done since I''m bringing in professionals anyway. Plus, not sure how to put it nicely, but none of them (myself included), have the "skills" to do their hair & makeup to last all day. We''re doing pictures around the city during the day, and the ceremony is not until 7:30 at night so we really need it to last.

Thanks for the help ladies!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 1:10:28 PM
Author: parrot tulips
Definitely the frame and the gift certificate for hair & make-up. It''s a day of getting pampered with people whose company you enjoy. And who doesn''t like having nice pictures with their friends?

I know jewelry to wear on the day of the wedding is a very popular gift, but honestly, it always seems more like a gift for the bride than the attendant. It''s something that the bride expects their attendants to wear (like the fuschia dress and strappy silver shoes that will never be touched again), but it''s considered a present...? However, if you know your girls have had their on on particular pieces, that''s a whole other story!
emwink.gif
LMAO, parrot! You just described my bridal party''s attire! Thank goodness I paid for all of that for them already, too!
emsmilep.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Scarlet-

I didnt require my bm's to get their hair and makeup done for my wedding, but I offered for them to book with my stylists who were coming to do my hair and makeup the day of...All of the girls opted to go with my stylists...So, I did exactly what you are thinking of doing: I paid for their services with my stylists on the wedding day (which wasnt exactly cheap), and then after the wedding, I gave each of them a framed photo of just the 2 of us, taken by my photographer, as their "sentimental" gift....I also included a nice card to say thank you.

Being an attendant in a wedding is expensive, and all of my bm's expressed to me afterwards that taking care of their beauty services the day of was a great gift.....So I say go with your original idea!!!
2.gif
Great minds think alike!!! LOL!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 8:41:07 PM
Author: Dani
Scarlet-

I didnt require my bm''s to get their hair and makeup done for my wedding, but I offered for them to book with my stylists who were coming to do my hair and makeup the day of...All of the girls opted to go with my stylists...So, I did exactly what you are thinking of doing: I paid for their services with my stylists on the wedding day (which wasnt exactly cheap), and then after the wedding, I gave each of them a framed photo of just the 2 of us, taken by my photographer, as their ''sentimental'' gift....I also included a nice card to say thank you.

Being an attendant in a wedding is expensive, and all of my bm''s expressed to me afterwards that taking care of their beauty services the day of was a great gift.....So I say go with your original idea!!!
2.gif
Great minds think alike!!! LOL!
16.gif
Great minds do think alike!

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 8:28:25 PM
Author: Harleigh

It''s something that the bride expects their attendants to wear (like the fuschia dress and strappy silver shoes that will never be touched again), but it''s considered a present...?
emwink.gif

LMAO, parrot! You just described my bridal party''s attire! Thank goodness I paid for all of that for them already, too!
emsmilep.gif

i''m the oddball on this one, i guess--i''d rewear a fuchsia dress, and i''d DEFINITELY wear strappy silver heels until they weren''t wearable anymore! i wonder if my bridesmaids are gossiping behind my back about how much they hate the silver shoes and cornflower dresses they''re wearing for my wedding!
9.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 12:48:58 PM
Author: doodle

It''s something that the bride expects their attendants to wear (like the fuschia dress and strappy silver shoes that will never be touched again), but it''s considered a present...?
emwink.gif

emsmilep.gif

i''m the oddball on this one, i guess--i''d rewear a fuchsia dress, and i''d DEFINITELY wear strappy silver heels until they weren''t wearable anymore! i wonder if my bridesmaids are gossiping behind my back about how much they hate the silver shoes and cornflower dresses they''re wearing for my wedding!
9.gif
LOL, doodle! I feel the same way! I actually bought the dress I chose for my girls in my size because I loved it so much! I think it would be fantastic on a cruise or something a bit dressy, and you can even cram it into a little ball in a suitcase and then just give it one sitting in a steamy bathroom and it''s good to go!

Hopefully my girls aren''t whining behind my back about them, either, but since I did get their input AND I paid for everything with the disclaimer that they could throw it all away if they wanted when done, I don''t think they have too much to complain about! I even got them long dresses because none of them like their legs when I would''ve rather had short dresses to combat the Maui heat in July!
9.gif

So, no, not a present, just helping them out with their expenses since they are spending so much to spend their time with us in Maui!

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 12:48:58 PM
Author: doodle

emwink.gif

emsmilep.gif

9.gif
Hehe, I''m actually wearing a fuschia bridesmaid dress in a friend''s August wedding.
5.gif
I joke about the color, but it actually looks really nice on all 4 of us (dark hair and medium to fair complexions), and it totally suits the bride who loves everything bright pink. As for the shoes, I couldn''t find inexpensive silver ones that were comfortable (I have very odd feet), so I ended up with these (just about $40 after tax). The shoes I definitely plan on wearing again. I think they''ll look pretty cute with a little black dress, or even jeans. The dress...who knows. If I don''t feel like spending a lot of money on our next office holiday party, I may just end up shortening my bridesmaid dress...

SHIEKH 1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results