shape
carat
color
clarity

Brides with "younger" moms.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Ok so my parents got married young and had us young. On top of that they both look great for their age, and look much younger then they are. My mom is 47, and she''s a hottie!
2.gif

I''m sorry, but there is a quintessential "MOB" dress. The usual stiff fabric, tons of lace, and ruffly jackets. I feel like they are so old looking, and geared towards a very specific age group (60''s or so). They are so NOT my mom, and I feel like she is going to have the hardest time finding a dress.

Any of you brides have a mother on the younger side? Where did she get her dress? Or did she just buy one of the "MOB" dresses at a bridal store and suck it up?

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
my mom is older than yours and she didn''t want the traditional mob dress either! we shopped for her dress at stores that had other options and found plenty. she''s wearing a gorgeous gown that looks nothing like a mob dress but is perfectly appropriate for our wedding. it''s very red-carpet looking. i''m sure you''ll have tons to choose from.

i''m going with fmil dress shopping soon and she''s the same way. she''d turn up her nose at anything traditional or expected.

i''m sure you''ll have an easier time than you think.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
I am much older than your mom and would not be caught dead in a MOB
dress. When DS marries I will be wearing something that fits and flatters
me. I don''t expect it to come from a bridal shoppe.

Jena17

Shiny_Rock
My mom is pretty young and very tiny and petite and dresses very modern! She had a hard time finding a dress too. She ended up finding a bridesmaid dress that was perfect!

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
My mother is somewhat older than yours (56), but no way in Hades is she willing to wear a frumpy dress. She''ll be in something sleeveless and sophisticated, with a little glitz.

I wish I had links to the dresses she''s considering -- they''re really pretty

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
My mother and MIL wore off the rack dresses from a department store- definitely not the standard MOG/MOB dresses. They both ended up with neutral toned shinier finish dresses, totally not planned but pretty neat. I did like how they coordinated. My mother''s dress was from Adrianna Papell and my MIL''s dress was from Calvin Klein.

parentsctek.jpg

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Go to high end Department Stores and look at their formal dresses. That is where my mom and MIL found theirs. (Sacks, Niemens, Bloomingdales, etc.)

My mom: (Walking right behind me. It was all silk, I believe. Black empire waist with a slit, and white top with Swarovski trim)

meresalceremony72509.2.1.jpg

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
My mother is in her fifties but has never even considered wearing a classic MOB dress - it certainly isn''t a requirement! She should wear anything she feels comfortable in. It isn''t really a "tradition" in the way the bride wearing white is, in any case.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
My mom (age 58) also thinks traditional MOB dresses are awful, and I agree. She wore a long 100% silk BGBG dress from Nordstrom. My Step-MIL also went to Nordstrom and got a gorgeous one-shoulder Calvin Klein dress. I''m pretty sure my MIL got her dress at Saks and it was also lovely. All of them looked fantastic.

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
I think my mom is a hottie, too!
1.gif
She got her dress from David''s Bridal, they had a pretty nice selection.

redress (3).jpg

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
My mom is pretty with it, but one of her concerns is that she doesn''t want anyone to walk in with her dress on and so that''s why she has looked at what the classic MOB dress designers have to offer. And for the record, I don''t know which dressses you''ve been looking at, but I''ve see some that are really stylish with great sillouettes. (And I consider myself trendy.)

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
My mom wore a gorgeous Tadashi dress purchased from Nordstrom. They have a nice selection of special occasion dresses. Bloomingdales is great too.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Great question!!! My mom will be 50 when we get married, but just bought her dress last weekend.
She was extremely turned off by the typical "MOB" dresses, so she went with something that was called by a few bridal shops, "not MOB like". Well, it looked great on her!!!!
She looked high and wide for a sample of that dress, and could not find one anywhere. In our area, we were told by many shops that unless it''s taffetta or frilly, they won''t order from a particular line''s MOB collection (which mom''s dress is from). The clientel in our area are primarly frilly taffeta buyers, which made it very hard for mom to find a dress.
It''s Jade by Jasmine 2262. Their MOB dresses are, imo, very youthful looking, and are nowhere near typical MOB dresses.

Link

She got it in sapphire, which is a very pretty purplish blue color.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
This is what I wore to my son's wedding. I was in my late 40s at the time. I got it off the rack from Bloomingdales.

ETA: OMG scary big picture. Sorry.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree that MOB dresses can look more mature, not to mention the price. They usually run anywhere from $300 up to $700!

My FMIL wore a gorgeous dress from Cache for my FSIL''s wedding in June of this past year. Here''s a pic of my stud with his momma
9.gif

She goes on a ton of cruises so she''s always shopping for evening gowns. She typically finds them at department stores, Cache, or BCBG.

My mother found her dress at Dillard''s for my sisters ''05 wedding and it was gorgeous.

kohlandmomma.jpg

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Wear what she looks good in. I don''t like "MOB" dresses on anyone:)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
My mom was an older MOB (55) and she didn''t even go with the typical MOB dress
3.gif
She got her dress at Macy''s (actually, she ordered it online) after shopping in Nordstrom''s, Macy''s, etc. MIL actually bought a bridesmaid dress that she liked (though I think she ended up not wearing it? I don''t remember). Both are good options! The bridesmaid dresses were actually cool because you could pick from almost any style or fabric type, and then get it in any color. All of the department stores seemed to have the same things, which can be good or bad.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2010 3:37:15 PM
Author: meresal
Go to high end Department Stores and look at their formal dresses. That is where my mom and MIL found theirs. (Sacks, Niemens, Bloomingdales, etc.)

My mom: (Walking right behind me. It was all silk, I believe. Black empire waist with a slit, and white top with Swarovski trim)
I wanted to add that my mom was 60 when I got married in July. It's not just the younger ones that don't like the a-line skirt with matching bolero.
9.gif

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you ladies for your responses! There are some hot mommas out there!
2.gif

I think that's what we will do...hit the higher end stores for their evening gowns and get something there. I just want my mom to look and feel fabulous!

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
NF...If I remember correctly, you are in NYC, right? My mom actually got hers at an awesome boutique in Florida so that won''t help you but I''m going shopping with FMIL soon for hers and we''re headed to Saks and Bergdorf. If you want I''ll come back with the scoop and let you know how it goes and how their selection is. I also have heard that there is a great store in Woodbury, Long Island with a lot of nice, non-MOB dresses. i''ll see if i can find out the name.

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
My mom is also on the younger side, 53, but looks like she is about 45. She hates the frumpy MOB dresses as do I. Alfred Angelo has some BM styles that would work for a MOB, she is considering a few, she has also found some she likes at Lord and Taylor and Nordstroms.

Hope that helps!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
My mom just turned 50, and she would have been fine with "MOB-style" dress but I said no (I didn''t want her to look all frumpy). I searched for a dress for her with no luck for a long time, and was getting kind of worried, but then she went out and shocked me by finding a sexy little Calvin Klein number at Macy''s, and we were both happy.
9.gif

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
My mom also ended up choosing a bridesmaid dress (in a different color) for our wedding. I think that she could wear any gown she would wear to a formal event.

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 2:14:46 AM
Author: goldenstar
My mom wore a gorgeous Tadashi dress purchased from Nordstrom. They have a nice selection of special occasion dresses. Bloomingdales is great too.

what a coincidence Golden, my mom just purchased a Tadashi from Nordstrom last week for our wedding in June and she said she loves it! looks great on her 5''1" 100 lb. body.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
My mom wore a dress from von maur. It was amazing, and she looked smokin!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
My MIL wore a red little number... Long, slim, halter neck, crystal embellishments. She''s in her early 50''s but has a freakin'' ROCKING body. Like, 500x better than my own. I say if ya got it, flaunt it... Wear any gorgeous evening gown, regardless of whether or not it fits the MOB norm.

MILdressred.jpg

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Another bride here with a mom wearing Tadashi! My 56 year old mother found this MOB dress while on vacation, and called me in near hysterical excitement.
1.gif
She looks amazing in this dress and the color is great on her!

momsMOBgown.jpg

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2010 3:29:25 PM
Author: Clairitek
My mother and MIL wore off the rack dresses from a department store- definitely not the standard MOG/MOB dresses. They both ended up with neutral toned shinier finish dresses, totally not planned but pretty neat. I did like how they coordinated. My mother''s dress was from Adrianna Papell and my MIL''s dress was from Calvin Klein.

parentsctek.jpg
Wow Ctek, I just love those dress both mothers have on... they both looked fabulous!!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 8:56:59 AM
Author: idreamofcushions
I totally agree that MOB dresses can look more mature, not to mention the price. They usually run anywhere from $300 up to $700!

My FMIL wore a gorgeous dress from Cache for my FSIL''s wedding in June of this past year. Here''s a pic of my stud with his momma
9.gif

She goes on a ton of cruises so she''s always shopping for evening gowns. She typically finds them at department stores, Cache, or BCBG.

My mother found her dress at Dillard''s for my sisters ''05 wedding and it was gorgeous.

kohlandmomma.jpg
Oh and I loooove this one too - she looks so great!! What a neat gown.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2010 3:29:25 PM
Author: Clairitek
My mother and MIL wore off the rack dresses from a department store- definitely not the standard MOG/MOB dresses. They both ended up with neutral toned shinier finish dresses, totally not planned but pretty neat. I did like how they coordinated. My mother's dress was from Adrianna Papell and my MIL's dress was from Calvin Klein.

My mom almost got the one on the left (not sure if that's your mom or MIL) but she went with something else instead (she was worried about being cold with a sleeveless dress and got a short sleeved one instead). I really like that dress though! They had it in so many colors when we went shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results