shape
carat
color
clarity

Bridal Faire

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
So yesterday I went to a Bridal Faire with my little sister. It made things more real... It was fun, but man, I'm going to have to take out loans to put on a wedding.... Things are so expensive... $2-5k for photos...

audball

Ideal_Rock
I'm concerned about this too. There was a bridal expo in my city yesterday too but we couldn't make it. They do them every few months so we'll try to go to the next one. We've only started cursory looking - but everything is pricey. Everything.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I blows my mind how expensive throwing a wedding is! :errrr:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think taking a loan out is a good idea.

I think you should scale back your guest list and you plans and get creative.

Here's what you can do:
Keep your invitees under 30 people.
Sunday morning ceremony at a public park with a low rental fee. Nothing more than some rose petals for the 'aisle' and a bouquet for you and a bout. for your FI. FI wears nice slack and a nice button down shirt. Have a friend officiate a civil ceremony. You both write your own vows. And you only get chairs for the elderly. Have friends set up and break down.
Call your local photography graduate program. Find a student to do your photography at cost to build up their portfolio.
Brunch/lunch at a local restaurant for your reception. Order cupcakes to avoid a cake cutting fee.

I know 3 people who have had exactly that wedding in one of the most expensive areas in the country, Northern California. If they can do it and have it be gorgeous and elegant: you can do it too.

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
Oh good to know I'm in a pricy area, I live in Northern California.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I also think bridal expos are probably the most expensive place to scope out vendors. Although no matter what I wouldn't take out loans to have a wedding.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Definitely no loans here! We're not even officially commencing any formal planning until we have the budget we've decided on set aside in cash to play with. I think we'll probably go to at least one bridal expo just for the fun of it - but I seriously doubt we'll find any vendors there because we certainly won't be able to afford them! Lots of free doorprizes though...maybe we'll get something good!

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
YEAH, there were a lot of prizes and such, I just didn't win any :( That would have be super nice to win something that I wouldn't have to pay for... I could always ask my parents to help pay for things, well I know they would, but they already helped me pay for the last wedding (that never was), I guess I need to figure out what I really want and how much I'm going to spend on certain things... ie: a budget... And fortunatly was we are a bit older (and are quite established in our home appliances and decor) we don't really need to register for many things, so we are going to do a honeymoon registry :appl:

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, my brother are now facing the case too, it is too expensive. But he and the expected bride keep scanning online to solve the problem, some shops would have discounts, and they made some of the wedding items with materials they can find with their own hand, in these ways I guess they save them a lot. :rodent: Well, items that would be kept for the whole life should be purchased carefully, and money will not be saved in this section. Guys, you can borrow the tips.

glitzandglamour

Rough_Rock
You should do some facebook research for photographers in your area. You may be able to find a more affordable,less booked photographer who is still great at what they do! I have a lot of photographer friends, of all excellent reputation and quality, but their prices differ so much on how much cliental they have.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I went last Sunday with FMIL. We had a blast! Granted we just went for fun and with NO intention on booking vendors or seriously shopping for anything. The people watching was superb! So many interesting people. The "fashion show" was pretty hilarious and entertaining too.

Bonus! Completely unexpectedly -- I won one of the grand prizes! Too bad it wasn't the honeymoon, hah! But second best one they had...a $500 gift certificate to Brides by Demetrios in my area to go towards my {future} gown purchase! Squee! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results