shape
carat
color
clarity

brian gavin signature vs. AVR, which is more noticable?

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
there must be a lot of PSers here that have seen/owned both or either of them. I know they are total different flavors, but my question is:
if I am a friend talking to you (maybe around 3 feet away from you), which one is more noticeable?
if I am a stranger about 10 feet away from you, which is more noticeable?

I am very interested to find out the winner!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an AVC and it's beautiful.. I think you are comparing two different cuts, modern vs oec... many more knowledgeable people on here will give you a better answer, I tend to like the old style cut as I feel the rainbow chunks emitted are more pleasing to my eye than the arrows of light (lots of them) that modern cuts have, but I have both, I don't have a Brian Gavin but I would love to!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both H&A stones and an AVR. All have ideal light performance. The only difference is facet size. If I wanted an antique style ring, then I'd absolutely go with the AVR. But if I wanted a more modern setting, I'd go with H&A. I have WF ACA diamond stud earrings and an AVR e-ring. I don't think the facets of an old cut can be appreciated as much in earrings as in a ring unless you are fortunate enough to have huge diamonds!

Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, High Performance Diamonds, and Victor Canera all carry top cut quality H&A diamonds, too.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have smaller versions of DS's stones - a 0.59ct AVR and an ideal cut 0.74ct RB. Personally, I like the AVR more - it is very bright white, like the MRB, but has the extra benefit of larger colored flashes as well which capture the eyes' attention. Don't get me wrong - I like them both, but they are very different. I would say go look at GOG's comparison videos, but I don't think even videos can capture what the eyes can see!

What style of setting are you looking for?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on how you define "noticeable" if you want a faster finer scintillation pattern and a modern look stick with an Ideal cut RB if you want a Antique round that throws broader flashes of light and has a slower scintillation pattern that will look better with something Antique, pick and AVR or a Canera Antique round.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think they will both be equally noticeable. If you want it to be "noticeable", I would actually go up in size and perhaps slightly down in cut (oh my gosh .. did I just say that out loud).

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1430711095|3871766 said:
I think they will both be equally noticeable. If you want it to be "noticeable", I would actually go up in size and perhaps slightly down in cut (oh my gosh .. did I just say that out loud).

Charmy! *gasp*

I don't know that I agree. A well cut stone will face up larger and whiter than a less well cut one, and that brightness is what you will see. To me, a larger stone isn't more impressive just because of it's size - the impact it makes is. You are already considering the cream of the crop cut-wise; I wouldn't compromise on cut, but to go up in size in addition to having great cut I would go down in color and clarity (as long as it's eye-clean and didn't have durability issues, a SI2 would be fine for me!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results