shape
carat
color
clarity

Breastfeeding Diet

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Help!

I've been advised by the paediatrician to avoid food that cause gas because they'll affect the baby. He's basically said I'm to avoid all beans, peas, garlic, spicy food, cabbage, cauliflower, carbonated drinks, etc. I'm not sure whether to trust his advice. Just because certain foods might cause me gas (which they don't), does that mean that it'll go through my breast milk?

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Meh... I eat everything! My diet is very heavy in things like cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, other greens, loads of chilli... I mean, yes - S farts, haha, but all babies do and she is not even remotely bothered by it! Now that she's on solids, she herself eats heaps of cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts and beans, and she is supremely unbothered about it.

It's not a problem unless you find it creates problems for N.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you are seeing problems with your baby, I wouldn't do any diet elimination. Even then, it's not always what you're eating. Sheesh, can't a new mama catch a break?!

Realistically speaking, babies ARE going to get gas every now and then - maybe even frequently. It's just how it goes.

So, I say keep eating what feels right to you.

Oh, and FWIW, I found that some pediatricians were really lacking in the breastfeeding department. They're surprising uneducated sometimes. One of the docs in my practice whom I respect on other matters told me I should stop nursing by 18 months because DS could have oral fixations. :rolleyes: So, when in doubt, I always called the lactation consultant line.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Pancake, Puppmom, and Steph.

The kellymom website is very useful and I think I'll follow the suggestion of speaking to a lactation consultant from now on.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I second the Kellymom rec. I also eat everything (and am vegetarian so wasn't going to cut out beans or broccoli which are reoccurring themes in my cooking). If you want mom-to-mom answers, I don't see a difference in what I eat and whether or not my girl has/had gas. (We've started solids in the last month but were EBF till almost 7m). I have heard that babies with a milk sensitivity are the exception to proteins that *may* pass in breastmilk. What does pass through breastmilk, is what passes through or is absorbed into our bloodstream.

Gas can be attributed to swallowing air either while eating or crying. Giving your bub lots of time on his/her belly and doing little "round-the- clock" knees folded into chest circles on their back helps tremendously with releasing wind. Along with burping them etc...

lucy.lucy.80

Shiny_Rock
dont think it necessary unless your baby has colicy tendencies- (cries uncontrollable, very gassy/fussy, etc) that could be why your ped. told you to avoid certain foods maybe? they can pass through breastmilk and give the baby bad gas.

the above happened to my son at 2 months and from his ped. recommendation i avoided dairy, carbonated drinks, nuts, and a couple other things - once i eliminated selzter and dairy products he was much less fussy.

like other people have said kellymom is also a great resource!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pancake|1343824511|3244208 said:
Meh... I eat everything! My diet is very heavy in things like cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, other greens, loads of chilli... I mean, yes - S farts, haha, but all babies do and she is not even remotely bothered by it! Now that she's on solids, she herself eats heaps of cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts and beans, and she is supremely unbothered about it.

It's not a problem unless you find it creates problems for N.

Me too. I successfully breastfed for 18 months, and I never really limited anything in my diet (well, except high mercury fish). My son really thrived on breast milk. All babies are different though--I'd imagine some do have more sensitive tummies that can be made worse by mom's diet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results