shape
carat
color
clarity

Breaking news: Mass shooting in NZ

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel sick :cry2: I never imagined this in good ol' safe New Zealand. My heart goes out those affected.

https://www.news.com.au/world/pacif...e/news-story/db75a7aa031b8db068ca7c7e44c4728e

KEY POINTS

● Dozens feared dead as at least two gunmen open fire at two Christchurch mosques
● Gunman, believed to be Australian, livestreams as he opens fire inside Al Noor Mosque
● Gunman wrote a 37-page manifesto declaring his intentions
● Armed police at second mosque in suburb of Linwood
● Christchurch Hospital is in lockdown

I'm wonder HOW he/they got that weapon & ammunition, would be interested to know if they were licenced for it as I believe NZ has strict gun rules like Oz.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel sick :cry2: I never imagined this in good ol' safe New Zealand. My heart goes out those affected.

https://www.news.com.au/world/pacif...e/news-story/db75a7aa031b8db068ca7c7e44c4728e

KEY POINTS

● Dozens feared dead as at least two gunmen open fire at two Christchurch mosques
● Gunman, believed to be Australian, livestreams as he opens fire inside Al Noor Mosque
● Gunman wrote a 37-page manifesto declaring his intentions
● Armed police at second mosque in suburb of Linwood
● Christchurch Hospital is in lockdown

I'm wonder HOW he/they got that weapon & ammunition, would be interested to know if they were licenced for it as I believe NZ has strict gun rules like Oz.

I just started a thread on this same subject, but didn't include as much information as you did, GliderPoss. My thread can be deleted. Only the link to the article in "The New York Times", which I am posting here, adds anything to what you wrote.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/14/world/asia/christchurch-nz-shooting.html

Deb/AGBF

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I live in Christchurch, this is just incredibly shocking and terrifying. Myself and my family are safe.

If any other PSers are in Christchurch please let us know you are safe.

My prayers are with the victims and their families at this tragic and distressing time.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My deepest sympathies to those in New Zealand.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in Christchurch - away for work today and currently at the airport waiting to fly home. I’ve been glued to my phone since the news broke and still can’t quite wrap my head around this happening here. This isn’t NZ, it isn’t Christchurch. My family are all safe. We’re all just stunned. Such a hateful thing to do and so random too.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Glad to hear you and your family are safe foxinsox.

Myself and my younger son were home from school and work today so I fortunately didn't have to deal with the school lockdown.

Reactions: AV_

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Myself and my younger son were home from school and work today so I fortunately didn't have to deal with the school lockdown.
Oh goodness! I’m lucky I don’t have children to worry about. I think I’d be a mess if I did. Very glad to hear you and yours are ok

Reactions: AV_

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Oh goodness! I’m lucky I don’t have children to worry about. I think I’d be a mess if I did. Very glad to hear you and yours are ok
I felt very worried for some of my friends and their kids stuck in lockdown for so long.

I'm watching all the coverage and just in complete shock.

I've never felt so relieved that my child was home from school with a cold!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Horrific nightmare. :cry2::cry2::cry2:
My heart goes out to everyone affected and my very deepest condolences.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to this gem from the guy's manifesto, our white nationalist chops here in the US need a little help:

"To drive a wedge between the nations of NATO that are European and the Turks that also make a part of the NATO forces, thereby turning NATO once more into a united European army and pushing the Turkey once more back to the true position of a foreign, enemy force.

Finally, to create conflict between the two ideologies within the United States on the ownership of firearms in order to further the social, cultural, political and racial divide within the United states. This conflict over the 2nd amendment and the attempted removal of firearms rights will ultimately result in a civil war that will eventually balkanize the US along political, cultural and, most importantly, racial lines.

This balkanization of the US will not only result in the racial separation of the people within the United States ensuring the future of the White race on the North American continent, but also ensuring the death of the “melting pot” pipe dream.

Furthermore this balkanization will also reduce the USA’s ability to project power globally, and thereby ensure that never again can such a situation as the US involvement in Kosovo ever occur again(where US/NATO forces fought beside muslims and slaughtered Christian Europeans attempting to remove these Islamic occupiers from Europe)."

He gives a mixed review of The Great Cheetoh:

"Were/are you a supporter of Donald Trump?
As a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose? Sure. As a policy maker and leader? Dear god no."

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Weeivy73 and @foxinsox so glad you and your families are safe. My deepest sympathies to those affected in New Zealand.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's disgusting, killing innocent people for your political beliefs. I feel terrible for all of Christchurch and those who have lost their loved ones.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I remember feeling this way on 9/11 2001. I knew my daughter was safe in school because we lived 30 or 40 miles from The Twin Towers, but the school was chaos because so many parents commuted by train to New York City and my daughter was at school. A block away from my house but with children who couldn't contact parents in the city and didn't know if they were alive or dead. My daughter had turned 9 a few days before. I do not even remember how pick-up went that day.

You all have my empathy. Violence begets violence. There is no place for terrorism.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I remember feeling this way on 9/11 2001. I knew my daughter was safe in school because we lived 30 or 40 miles from The Twin Towers, but the school was chaos because so many parents commuted by train to New York City and my daughter was at school. A block away from my house but with children who couldn't contact parents in the city and didn't know if they were alive or dead. My daughter had turned 9 a few days before. I do not even remember how pick-up went that day.

You all have my empathy. Violence begets violence. There is no place for terrorism.
AGBF, that must have been just so terrifying.

My youngest son had only been at school for a week when the big Christchurch earthquake hit in 2011. He's now 13 and has been affected by something so horrifying and upsetting, but perpetrated by man not nature is almost harder to explain.

I'm numb right now, I'm sure many many people in Christchurch and NZ are just in absolute shock. I was very proud of how our Prime Minister addressed the nation last night, she was very strong.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This balkanization of the US will not only result in the racial separation of the people within the United States ensuring the future of the White race on the North American continent, but also ensuring the death of the “melting pot” pipe dream.

I'm glad everyone who checked in has not been affected. This is not something I would ever expect to hear coming out of NZ wth! Maybe technology shrunk the world too fast, too soon and we should have expected another rise in nativism coming from all kinds of places. I'm not giving up on the melting pot though and I wish more people would come out and say that our diversity IS our greatest strength and we need to defend it.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Weeivy73 & @foxinsox I’m so glad to hear you are both ok. My cousin is a teacher in C’Church & was in lockdown for 5 hours.

I lived in Wellington for a few years & honestly, these things just don’t happen there. It is utterly disgusting! I remember the worst that happened to me once, was a guy bumping into me & not having the manners to say “Sorry, bro”. To me, NZ has always been a safe haven where nothing ever happens, the arse end of the world, if you like. It guts me.

My heart aches today. Once again. It needs to stop.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@Weeivy73 & @foxinsox I’m so glad to hear you are both ok. My cousin is a teacher in C’Church & was in lockdown for 5 hours.

I lived in Wellington for a few years & honestly, these things just don’t happen there. It is utterly disgusting! I remember the worst that happened to me once, was a guy bumping into me & not having the manners to say “Sorry, bro”. To me, NZ has always been a safe haven where nothing ever happens, the arse end of the world, if you like. It guts me.

My heart aches today. Once again. It needs to stop.
Alex T thank you for your kind thoughts towards us. I agree this was just not on the radar whatsoever, maybe that is naive but it is so so heart breaking.

Glad to hear your family member is ok, I have a family member who works at a school and finally managed to get home after 7pm.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I need a tan .(

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex T thank you for your kind thoughts towards us. I agree this was just not on the radar whatsoever, maybe that is naive but it is so so heart breaking.

Glad to hear your family member is ok, I have a family member who works at a school and finally managed to get home after 7pm.

I think this is what makes all this so extra shocking, the fact that it just isn’t on the radar there & NZ works really bloody hard to be safe, kind, accepting & non-confrontational. We are all, from all corners of the world, standing with you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results