carat
color
clarity

Branding Inscriptions and GIA reports

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone!
There was a recent discussion about laser engraved brand names on a diamond- and how it relates to a GIA report.
I've checked with GIA and have definitive answers
1) GIA will inscribe whatever you want on a diamond. I suppose we could find some phrase or word they might find objectionable, but as a rule, if I want to inscribe my name on a diamond, they will not ask me for proof of my name.
Or, if I wanted to create a brand and have the logo inscribed on the girdle, I can do that without GIA making sure that the diamond adheres to my own brand's parameters.

2) Subsequent inscriptions not noted on the GIA report will invalidate the report. GIA will re-examine a diamond within one year of the original report for half the cost of a new report.
There can be cases of subsequent inscriptions that do not meet a certain standard of placement or legibility where the GIA report will note that the diamond is inscribed, without identifying the inscription.
But if the inscription is correctly done, and placed, GIA will list the brand name on the report.
They'll even put the exact logo on the report ( if they've done the inscription)

Hope this helps!!

mvoila

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!
There was a recent discussion about laser engraved brand names on a diamond- and how it relates to a GIA report.
I've checked with GIA and have definitive answers
1) GIA will inscribe whatever you want on a diamond. I suppose we could find some phrase or word they might find objectionable, but as a rule, if I want to inscribe my name on a diamond, they will not ask me for proof of my name.
Or, if I wanted to create a brand and have the logo inscribed on the girdle, I can do that without GIA making sure that the diamond adheres to my own brand's parameters.

2) Subsequent inscriptions not noted on the GIA report will invalidate the report. GIA will re-examine a diamond within one year of the original report for half the cost of a new report.
There can be cases of subsequent inscriptions that do not meet a certain standard of placement or legibility where the GIA report will note that the diamond is inscribed, without identifying the inscription.
But if the inscription is correctly done, and placed, GIA will list the brand name on the report.
They'll even put the exact logo on the report ( if they've done the inscription)

Hope this helps!!
This so much helpfull. Thank you very much.
Now, no need to do assomptions, we have the right facts.
I am saved again by PS forum. I learned so much since i was lurking here!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond Thank you soooo much for verifying this information! :clap:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They will not engrave grading details (ex. VS1 F 1.20ct), even if it's correct.

Although they will inscribe a logo within limits of what will fit, I think there's a substantial fee to create the file and there's some paperwork required to make sure it's YOUR logo. This is a sensitive point for obvious reasons.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think there's a substantial fee to create the file

Actually it's not all that costly at all. We've done it. Most companies that have logos have them in file form.
There was no verification paperwork required.
This was about 8 years back....so maybe things have changed regarding verification. But when I spoke with our client services rep yesterday, she did not indicate that we'd need to verify the logo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results