shape
carat
color
clarity

Brand vs. no name brand

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jake525

Rough_Rock
Hi! I've notice in the forums that people often ask whether buying an e-ring from a Tiffanys or Cartier is worth the money. Especially when you can get it a lot less online or a trusted jeweler. My question is, if you were to have a name brand diamond(ie. Tiffanys/Cartier) and a no name brand diamond with the same exact specs such as F, VS1, 1ct, etc appraised would those 2 individual diamonds value be similar or would the name brand diamond be worth a more b/c of the name? Thanks

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The band names may make a difference for the setting - diamonds... can easily be found all over the board. Once one gets out of the setting, no one ca tell where is came from. Even the fancy cuts specific to well-known brands - e.g. Lucida cut diamonds. I don''t know if anyone actually strives to copy that cut, but you may well find small ones from upgrades being sold without any name attached. Never seen a larger one (no wonder, given the premium - probably no one parts with them!) in this sort of situation, but half carat and less yes.

IMO, the brand names are about a ''package deal'' - the ring as it comes, not the diamonds in particular. Unless if is a cut particular to a brad (e.g. the Movado cut - rounds and squares with 114 facets made for Movado branded jewelry, and... a few dozen more like that).

My 2c

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
I have never known anyone admire a ring and ask what brand name it is. People are usually taken back with the diamond size and quality. So to that end, I am not sure I would bother with a branded name, unless of course, I had that much money I didn''t know what to do with it!

I would spend my money on what really matters...the diamond of course.

But hey....that''s just me!

Blod
35.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just a thought: if you are buying Tiffany or Cartier, are you buying a branded diamond or a branded setting? With both companies buying their diamonds from various suppliers, what is the brand of that diamond?

In champagne, you have the big houses, which have such a huge production, that they buy from various small wine-growers, and mix in order to get a constant taste.

Compare this to the small wine-grower who makes the perfect champagne, based upon his small production.

Live long,

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just my opinion, but a brand name means nothing. It''s the quality of the cut of the stone that makes the difference between a good stone and not so good stone. Typically, branded stores like Tiffany and Cartier represent exceptional quality and one can buy with a sense that they bought a good piece, but when it comes down to it a stone that is cut as well from a non-branded seller will appraise for the same amount of money. I had a really good friend who was convinced he needed to buy his engagement ring at Tiffany''s. While the ring was quite nice, I know he could have spent much less and gotten a ring just as nice from others avenues. After the box is put away, it''s not likely anyone could ever tell it''s a Cartier.

southercal123

Rough_Rock
I''d go with the brand if it is in your budget

I''ve been looking at rings and the ones at Cartier look the best to me.

Most girls may not admit it for sounding shallow, but might not think too highly
of an internet diamond.

To me a 20-30% markup is probably worth it, however beyond that and I wonder
if I have a big "sucker" on my forehead.

It''s a tough decision...I can see the pos and negs of both. I guess go with what you
gut tells you.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2006 12:33:02 AM
Author: southercal123
I''d go with the brand if it is in your budget

I''ve been looking at rings and the ones at Cartier look the best to me.

Most girls may not admit it for sounding shallow, but might not think too highly
of an internet diamond.

To me a 20-30% markup is probably worth it, however beyond that and I wonder
if I have a big ''sucker'' on my forehead.

It''s a tough decision...I can see the pos and negs of both. I guess go with what you
gut tells you.
I disagree and my ering came from Tiff''s. It''s gorgeous yes. But having the knowledge I have now I would no more have my husband pay for the premuim that comes with the blue box. You can get a better cut stone online And save a bundle. Just my 0.2
2.gif

southercal123

Rough_Rock
just a hunch, but I think a lot of people who post here may have affiliation
with online dealers

buying from the internet just seems so darn risky

however I agree better deals may be found at some mom and pop stores or in
the jewelery district, but that can be hit and miss

Just like some people here cannot fathom why anyone would buy from Cartier or
Tiffany, I cannot understand how anyone could trust such a large purchase to
the internet.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2006 12:58:03 AM
with online dealers

the internet.
After educating myself here on Pricescope, I go into mall jewelry stores and can''t believe some of the lies they tell their customers! The quality of stone is so low, it''s a disgrace! I feel sorry for the poor blokes who trust such a large purchase to such stores! I felt much safer buying from Whiteflash where they have a good reputation, check out smoothly through the better bureau, have an excellent money back guarantee, and you get an authentic AGS certificate!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
with online dealers

the internet.
Nope wrong again. We post here because we love helping people. We have a passion for diamonds and like passing along our knowledge. We aren''t experts, but have learned a thing or two along the way. It''s that simple.
2.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no affiliation with any of the dealers on this forum. I''m also purchasing a ring for myself and personally, I chose a local, quality B&M independent jeweler to buy from. I do like supporting local businesses and feel (for me) that if something goes wrong, I can walk in to the store and have it taken care of in person. That gives me confidence. But, I would not likely buy from a branded store such as Tiffany or Cartier. I know they represent high quality, but their prices are (from what I''ve seen) higher for the same quality.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
I only have purchased from one vendor on here and it''s not like they are my best buddy or anything. I was uncomfortable buying online at first but not cause I thought anything was shady...I mean yes they are cheaper online but it makes PERFECT sense why. They do not have to pay the overhead B&M stores do in order to survive. I more or less just felt wierd not being able to see it in person and after I did I felt like a fool for even doubting. I think if you have a ton of money...sure why not get a brand name? However I don''t think I know a single girl who would rather have a brand name over a larger or better diamond from the internet. Half the women I know who have engagement rings aren''t even sure WHERE their guy got it from anyway. I''m really not even against purchasing in stores...I know it can seem like a lot of people are. But I don''t see how anyone would think badly if thier diamond was purchased by a reputable internet vendor.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never heard of anyone valuing a Tiffany or Cartier or other *diamond* over an unbranded diamond. Usually the value comes in the whole package. Partly I''m sure it''s because you can''t trace the lineage of a common stone, but also the value of the jewelery comes in the design as much as the stones.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/3/2006 12:33:02 AM

of an internet diamond.

Since you mention for better or worse... what is an ''internet diamond'' ? Aren''t these the same as any? Shallow or not, I don''t get it.

There must be some difference, since it is talked about. But... how about those jewelers that have both local and internet stores?

PS: I tried pretty hard to make this sound as far as possible from a rhetoric question. It isn''t meant that way... If there is something to talk about, why not.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
with online dealers

the internet.
southerncal, I have no affiliation with any of the online dealers - how could I from Saudi Arabia? However, so many positive posts have to mean something, hence we decided to obtain our diamond via the Internet. My husband and I decided to buy from Whiteflash because they (as well as other PS vendors) are a reputable company and they have a great return and upgrade policy. Also, we had the stone sent to a professional appraiser in Seattle, where we viewed it, without having paid a single dollar for it. We could see the stone with our own eyes and then decide whether to buy it, so I don''t see how you cannot understand why anyone would trust such a large purchase to the internet. We didn''t purchase until we saw with our own eyes and we liked what we saw, so we bought. What is there to worry about in that sort of transaction?

There are people who prefer to go with a name, such as Tiffany, HW and Cartier, but it doesn''t mean you''re getting the very best diamond. It means you are getting a designer setting at a higher cost, with a quality diamond. Not necessarily the very best.

I wouldn''t hesitate to buy from an on-line vendor again. It''s easy to see the stones before purchase.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
All the jewelry except for one piece that I got this year came from the internet. I''m not at all ashamed of that either. If anyone asked me where I got my jewelry, I told them (although most people don''t ask). When it comes to large purchases, I research endlessly to get the best product for the lowest price, which is how I found pricescope. I then proceeded to get 4 pieces of diamond jewelry from recommended vendors and probably saved my husband a ton of money from what he would have paid in a jewelry store especially one like Tiffany''s or Cartier.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None of us have any affiliation with internet vendors, our experts who are in the industry make no secret of the fact and are here to help. The rest of us are just knowledgeable consumers who love diamonds, realize it is a jungle out there and try to help people who want help to avoid making a very expensive mistake get the diamond of their dreams. Kaleigh, Mini, Coda and myself to name just a few stick around to help because we enjoy doing so.

Jake525

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your input. You all make very good points. However, I feel my question hasn''t really been answered. In regards to the stone only (no setting), if i purchased a stone from Tiffanys/Cartier and a no name brand of the same specs, color, clarity, cut, etc. Would each stone, when appraised, be worth the same in value? I''m sure no two diamond stones are alike but, hypothetically if they were identical in every way except, one was a name brand the other wasn''t would they be appraised at the same value or would the Tiffanys/Cartier stone hold more value? This may be a stupid question but I''m just trying to get as much info as I can before I make a purchase. Thanks again for everyone''s advice!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/3/2006 4:04:28 PM
Author: Jake525
Thank you all for your input. You all make very good points. However, I feel my question hasn''t really been answered. In regards to the stone only (no setting), if i purchased a stone from Tiffanys/Cartier and a no name brand of the same specs, color, clarity, cut, etc. Would each stone, when appraised, be worth the same in value? I''m sure no two diamond stones are alike but, hypothetically if they were identical in every way except, one was a name brand the other wasn''t would they be appraised at the same value or would the Tiffanys/Cartier stone hold more value? This may be a stupid question but I''m just trying to get as much info as I can before I make a purchase. Thanks again for everyone''s advice!
The stone of Tiffanys and definitely of Cartier is a no-brand-name-stone. The setting is Cartier, but the stone is unbranded, and you nor we have any idea what the quality-criteria are of the purchase department of these companies.

If the stones have exactly the same quality, they will have the same value.

Live long,

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
If you are choosing a diamond RING from a branded store with the same exact specifications, as a diamond RING from a non-name brand store, the RINGS will not appraise the same. The branded store RING will appraise higher based on quality, craftmanship and name recognition. IE: More people are likely to pay more for a BRANDED ring on resale, then a no-name.

If you seperate the diamond from the ring, you can switch them up and blindly appraise them (consider ALL specs where the same) and they should appraise for the same, if not similar. Considering color, clarity, symmetry, polish and weight were identical. (Some stones with branded cuts do not apply, like Hearts on Fire, or a Lucida, etc) Also, some round stones also carry an inscription of the brand (like Blue Nile), so that may be something to consider when being appraised.

If you are buying a ring for the center stone, a branded ring may not be for you. Bargains abound on the internet. if you are buying a RING to be an integrated piece with the diamond and the setting for it''s craftsmanship, history, brand recognition and resale, then a branded ring may be for you. The diamonds are mostly irrelevant, however Cartier and Tiffany will only carry stones or a certain caliber, so you will not see them set a K color SI2. I believe they both require I color or better VS2 or better.

Branded rings are for people who want an original Tiffany set ring, with all the bells and whistles they come with, and are willing to pay the premium to ensure the stone is above a certain quality and that there is a guarantee and ompany behind the product. Not everyone wants that or needs that.

The stones themselves should not make the price difference, it is the setting, the ring, the quality of materials and everything that the ring is packaged in, like the ambiance you buy it in and the shopping "experience", the box it comes in, the certifications they give you, the cost of a designer ring, the name reputation, etc...

I hope that helped...?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

In regards to the stone only (no setting), if i purchased a stone from Tiffanys/Cartier and a no name brand of the same specs, color, clarity, cut, etc. Would each stone, when appraised, be worth the same in value?
Yes.

...besides, I wonder if anyone can tell the difference.

I''m sure no two diamond stones are alike but, hypothetically...
And... at least the ideal cut rounds and some branded may be standardized and precisely cut enough to actually find stones exactly alike down to measurable detail. For what that''s worth - Eight Star makes a point of their ability to cut identical diamonds. Diamonds cut to model or cut as matched pairs can be darn close too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results