shape
carat
color
clarity

Brainstorm with me please :8 stone acc suite what to do with it?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone,
I found an antique pin with two ~5.5 x4. 6 mm warmish acc diamonds and 5smaller wonkier accs (~3-3.8mm each). 7.8 cm length for the entire pin. IMG_20190404_132808.jpg IMG_20190404_132004.jpg The bigger stones go perfectly with my 3.71 acc IMG_20190404_132726.jpg and I was intending to use them for a matching 8 stone (representing my family of 8 ) graduated band.
Since I got the pin, however, I found the bigger stones a bit big for a band, maybe.

So I thought about using the big stones plus the next best matching small ones for drop earrings. IMG_20190404_134903.jpg
But they might be a tad small (?) and I'll have 4smaller wonky stones left.

Usually I know exactly what I want, but I'm not sure at all in this case. I'd like DK to take over this project. Since I'm not in the US, I rely on my DH to post the pieces on business trips. Now his next one got advanced 6 weeks to Sunday. I'll probably resist the urge to send them out to avoid any rushed decisions... Any ideas how to use the stones???

In the meantime I will try to single handedly bring brooches and pins back into fashion and I'm running my errands adorned à la QE II
IMG_20190404_132949.jpg
Usual disclaimer :I am ridiculously bad at taking pics and I can't ultrasonic clean the pin because of the pearls.

Reactions: AV_

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, I love this pin and it goes so well with your ring too.:kiss2:

Would you consider just leaving it as a brooch? It is so beautiful. Otherwise I love the drop earring idea as long as you allow the stones to articulate. I wouldn't make the earrings too long as then it won't be as easy to wear IMO.

Consider using the extra diamond(s) in a pendant to go with your drop earrings?

Beautiful piece.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the heads up on the cleaner, @the_mother_thing ! I was thinking of adding a three diamond cluster as the top element of the dangly earrings, referencing also my new toi & moi. IMG_20190403_114353.jpg Will try to do a mock up to be sure of proportions between the cluster and the bigger acc

@missy, you're right, I feel kind of guilty to "destroy" the pin. Also because I have info on the provenance of the piece and it's kind of glamorous ... The auction house advised to test the pearls if they were natural and (most from the collection were, but they only got appraisals for the bigger ones). I will think about it some more and wear the pin in the meantime...
Thanks, girls!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy to help @kipari I kept meaning to dig my bottle of that cleaner out and give it another try after seeing that thread pop up, so this was a good reminder to do so. I love your earring idea and think it’d look lovely! And I’m all for consolidating pieces down to those you love/would wear. I’m looking at much of my collection in the same way these days, trying to consolidate things as I only have ten fingers, two ears and one neck. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, you're right, I feel kind of guilty to "destroy" the pin. Also because I have info on the provenance of the piece and it's kind of glamorous ... The auction house advised to test the pearls if they were natural and (most from the collection were, but they only got appraisals for the bigger ones). I will think about it some more and wear the pin in the meantime...

I don't mean to make you feel guilty. You should do what you want to do to make the piece enjoyable and wearable for you. I 100% stand by that. Make it work for you. It's a gorgeous piece in its own right but if you make it your own (if brooches aren't your thing) it will still be beautiful. Good luck and I cannot wait to see what you do with it. :appl:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mean to make you feel guilty. You should do what you want to do to make the piece enjoyable and wearable for you. I 100% stand by that. Make it work for you. It's a gorgeous piece in its own right but if you make it your own (if brooches aren't your thing) it will still be beautiful. Good luck and I cannot wait to see what you do with it. :appl:
Thanks for your encouragement, @missy, and don't worry I was feeling like this before.
I'll just take my time with this. Sometimes pieces grow on me (A LOT) and become a staple after some time. I just felt a bit rushed by my DHs earlier departure and it's so easy to fall for the instant gratification of doing stuff that "right now" ...
I wear a lot of dressy (-ish) coats, so why not go for that Duchess look for a while. The pin came from a Duxhess' estate after all. Obvs everyone else thinks I'm bonkers, but I don't care ;)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your encouragement, @missy, and don't worry I was feeling like this before.
I'll just take my time with this. Sometimes pieces grow on me (A LOT) and become a staple after some time. I just felt a bit rushed by my DHs earlier departure and it's so easy to fall for the instant gratification of doing stuff that "right now" ...
I wear a lot of dressy (-ish) coats, so why not go for that Duchess look for a while. The pin came from a Duxhess' estate after all. Obvs everyone else thinks I'm bonkers, but I don't care ;)2

Haha I hear you and yes to the above. In fact let people think we are bonkers. I love marching to the beat of our own drummers and being independent and wearing and enjoying what we love.

tumblr_na7udxgwiM1suvuffo1_500.gif

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t thinks there’s such a thing as too big for a ring so a ring gets my vote! I’d stick to you original idea!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A really easy quick update might be to have d rings added to either end and wear it like a bar pendant? You could even leave the pin in there for those days you would still want to wear it as a brooch

From your post it sounds like you might love the look of it but want to make it something more wearable (broaches can take a lot of coordinating)... adding the d rings would give you that versatility and bar pendants are so easy to wear.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @metall I will great suggestion. If I leave it intact, I'd definitely add the rings!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A really easy quick update might be to have d rings added to either end and wear it like a bar pendant?

That's a nice idea. I would add (if you go this route) make it a snug fit though so it doesn't flip.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results