shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought my ring from JA & was registered to the wrong person

vlack

Rough_Rock
Hi guys

I had to create a new account just to ask some help from you guys. Before I purchased my ring, I read some reviews here that JA had an outstanding customer service and purchase experience. But my situation contradicts to those reviews.

So here's my story:

After spending so many hours reading comments/reviews and watching ring designs in this site, I decided that I would purchase my E-ring at JA. Since I am living in southeast Asia and we have huge import tax rates, I decided to ship it to my friend in San Francisco. I logged on to JA's site using my facebook and purchased the ring with my credit card. I wrote my friends name and address because it says that it needs a signature upon delivery.

To my horror, my account suddenly changed to my friend's name without even a warning. I contacted customer service before it was even shipped and they said they can't do anything about it, which is a total bull for me. I logged on using my facebook account, I used my own email and I used my own credit card.

*I do have to give credit to JA as the package arrived a few days earlier just as requested since my friend is coming back to my country earlier.

When I received the ring (it is beautiful by the way), I had a big smile followed with a big frown when I read that the appraisal was addressed to my friend's name. Worst it was registered to him and not me.

I contacted JA requesting to change the registration of the ring from his name to my name. They only solution they gave me was that they can send me a new appraisal report addressed to my name but the ring will still be registered under my friend's name.

Can you imagine the horrible feeling when you bought your first brand new car and it was named after your friend? Sometimes I can't sleep at night when I think about this.

Please help me reach JA, I am still hoping that there is something we can do about this. Imagine what I will feel when my girl finds out that the ring was not registered under me?

:(sad :(sad :(sad :(sad :(sad :(sad

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Bought my ring from JA & was registered to the wrong per

I"m not understanding what you mean by 'registered'? There's an internal record at JA that has to do with who they sold to, where they shipped and so on, but that's purely an internal record. I'm a little surprised you can even look at it. The appraisal is what goes to the outside world, including you, and they've agreed to redo that. Apparently that's not what you're looking for. Can you please explain what the problem is? That may be all it takes. If I don't understand it, they might not either.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

In the US, jewelry does not retain a title or registration like a car. JA changed your account information to the personal accepting shipment of the package (which makes sense). That doesn't affect that you purchased the ring, paid for the ring, and will be proposing to your girlfriend. As denverappraiser said, all they can do is reissue the appraisal in your name and this situation is resolved.

vlack

Rough_Rock

denverappraiser|1434996873|3892697 said:
I"m not understanding what you mean by 'registered'? There's an internal record at JA that has to do with who they sold to, where they shipped and so on, but that's purely an internal record. I'm a little surprised you can even look at it. The appraisal is what goes to the outside world, including you, and they've agreed to redo that. Apparently that's not what you're looking for. Can you please explain what the problem is? That may be all it takes. If I don't understand it, they might not either.

Hi thanks for the reply.

When I logged on to the website to view my orders it would say my name is "Stephen Brown" instead of my name. All other letters, GIA certificate letter was addressed to Stephen Brown. That would technically register the ring in JA's internal record under Stephen Brown and not my name.

Aside from the horrible fact that the ring is not registered under my name, I have a feeling that this would complicate things in the future when doing repair jobs / cleaning jobs.

I was thinking about purchasing wedding bands to complement my ring on their site but I am having second thoughts because of this situation.

vlack

Rough_Rock

liaerfbv|1434997273|3892700 said:
In the US, jewelry does not retain a title or registration like a car. JA changed your account information to the personal accepting shipment of the package (which makes sense). That doesn't affect that you purchased the ring, paid for the ring, and will be proposing to your girlfriend. As denverappraiser said, all they can do is reissue the appraisal in your name and this situation is resolved.

Yes I get your point but you do get the sad feeling of logging in using your facebook account and it's not your name that is on their website. I am not just buying 1 ring from their site.

I hope you can understand what I am feeling. It just feels wrong / weird / odd.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This makes a little more sense now. JA needs to internally change your account information - just call them. This still doesn't mean the ring is registered to anyone so you can stop worrying about that. It is however an annoyance and you are right to want it fixed. Also, if you live in Asia, I assume you would not ship your ring to the US every time you needed a small repair or cleaning in the future. Buy an ultrasonic cleaner and find a local jeweler for minor stuff.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I suppose upgrade might be an issue if the ring is not registered as sold to you. Can you email JA about your upgrade concern? They should be able to change it based on name on credit card. I suppose name on CC is more relevant than name of addressee. They can retain record as being shipped to your friend's name but should record buyer as your name which was on CC.

vlack

Rough_Rock

I did ask JA for an update on my account. They told me they can't do anything about my account after the purchase? Can you believe that? :confused:

I do believe that updating my account to the right owner would just be simple task of checking the facebook account and credit card used.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

I understand what you mean. I sometimes buy something on a consumer site H>S>N and have it mailed to someone other than myself at their address(as in a gift to them). That Co. has no trouble doing this. Of course its your account and should be in your name.

I have had a poor experience with James Allen. What I found is that talking to their representatives is just like talking to a brick wall. Call Jim Schultz, one of the owners. I'm sure he can straighten it out.

Annette

vlack

Rough_Rock

smitcompton|1435077076|3893082 said:
Hi,

I understand what you mean. I sometimes buy something on a consumer site H>S>N and have it mailed to someone other than myself at their address(as in a gift to them). That Co. has no trouble doing this. Of course its your account and should be in your name.

I have had a poor experience with James Allen. What I found is that talking to their representatives is just like talking to a brick wall. Call Jim Schultz, one of the owners. I'm sure he can straighten it out.

Annette

If I would have known that I would experience this kind of problem when buying from JamesAllen I would have stopped myself from purchasing from their site. Talking with their customer services is useless and I guess they just don't value their customers once they pay the bill. They'll just give you an "We can't do anything about it" line, which is really absurd.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade

vlack,

We change customer details on a fairly regular basis. I'm not sure why you were told differently or if there is more to the story, but please send another email, reference my name, and we'll get you squared away.

If you're really that soured on our company over what seems like a small problem, however, you can reach out to me directly and I'll see about getting you a return label and full refund. Just ask for my email address when you call/email.

All the best,

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I will have to say, once you get to Jim, he certainly makes sure the customer's problems are solved whenever possible! :appl:

As others have said, you never send a diamond ring back to the company for maintenance. You do that locally.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looks like an easy fix, OP! Glad this can be straightened out for you. :))

vlack

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the reply! I don't have any plans on returning the ring as what I have said is beautiful.

Will email soon after I finish my work.

Many thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results