shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought Engagement Ring With Knot Help!(Si1)

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
I might have gotten myself into a predicament guys. I recently purchased a diamond, Si1 Triple excellent. My girlfriend picked it out she loves it, it is to be her engagement ring. It looks to be eye clean and reflects light very nice. I looked at it from multiple angles as did she and didn't really pick up on the inclusions. After the fact i started reading up on the inclusions listed in the GIA report and started reading up on Knots..... Needless to say, i am now worried about the structural integrity of the ring. :oops: I negotiated them down quite a bit in price, which led them to a no return policy, i can however exchange the diamond if i am not happy with it. My question is, how bad is this Knot in my ring? I will say that the place that i purchased from has a lifetime diamond and ring warranty, should anything happen to the ring. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Ive uploaded the GIA report for your review here is the link also https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2268470343

Attachments

• 2268470343.pdf
    731.8 KB · Views: 101

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might have gotten myself into a predicament guys. I recently purchased a diamond, Si1 Triple excellent. My girlfriend picked it out she loves it, it is to be her engagement ring. It looks to be eye clean and reflects light very nice. I looked at it from multiple angles as did she and didn't really pick up on the inclusions. After the fact i started reading up on the inclusions listed in the GIA report and started reading up on Knots..... Needless to say, i am now worried about the structural integrity of the ring. :oops: I negotiated them down quite a bit in price, which led them to a no return policy, i can however exchange the diamond if i am not happy with it. My question is, how bad is this Knot in my ring? I will say that the place that i purchased from has a lifetime diamond and ring warranty, should anything happen to the ring. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Ive uploaded the GIA report for your review here is the link also https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2268470343

Is the no return policy in writing? Unfortunately, this is not a great GIA XXX (if you've read stuff around here, you'll likely know that GIA XXX is very broad and doesn't actually mean excellent cut).

Also, knots aren't great and do pose significant risk.

Finally, read CAREFULLY the fine print about the "lifetime warranty", as they typically mean less than nothing from a jewelry store (particularly ones in the mall, which are horrid).

If you absolutely cannot return it, then I would definitely exchange it for something with ideal specs and no knots.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, just realized that the above likely sounds harsh. I don't mean to insult you, or to imply you did something wrong in buying the stone. But I certainly think you could do much better, and we'd like to help with that!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy a stone with a knot, that just me..;)). The good news is the knot inclusion is 4th down the list under "key to symbols". Now for the bad news...This is not a well cut stone b/c of its large 61% table on a low 12.5% crown height. I would exchange for a better cut stone.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your engagement! Table larger than depth (not to mention the other cut issues) is way more of a concern than a knot being listed as the 4th inclusion on an SI1. But if she loves it and return is not an option, just insure it an enjoy it.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, just realized that the above likely sounds harsh. I don't mean to insult you, or to imply you did something wrong in buying the stone. But I certainly think you could do much better, and we'd like to help with that!

No insult taken, thank you for your honest opinion. Wish i would have found this site sooner. :| i could start over and exchange the diamond but as they already have my business i feel I wouldn't be getting the best deal, kind of in a tough spot.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on your engagement! Table larger than depth (not to mention the other cut issues) is way more of a concern than a knot being listed as the 4th inclusion on an SI1. But if she loves it and return is not an option, just insure it an enjoy it.

Thank you for your input! I’m going to call tomorrow and see what I can do about exchanging

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't buy a stone with a knot, that just me..;)). The good news is the knot inclusion is 4th down the list under "key to symbols". Now for the bad news...This is not a well cut stone b/c of its large 61% table on a low 12.5% crown height. I would exchange for a better cut stone.

What specs would you recommend?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What specs would you recommend?
The traditional Ideal specs are;

Table: 54-57
Depth: 60-62.4
Crown: 34-35
Pavillion: 40.6-40.8

And make sure that you use the HCA calculator (under "tools") to check that the angles are complimentary. Some combinations work better together than others. HCA under 2 = angles are complimentary. HCA above 2 = reject. Not likely a good choice.

Also, if you can get a refund, do it. I almost guarantee you can find a better stone for the same or lower cost online, and we can help with choices. :))

monipod

Brilliant_Rock

I'm glad you mentioned this as it means my diamond knowledge is getting there My so-so cut 1 carat round is 6.15 x 6.18mm so I was surprised to see a .91 that was so much more spready.

If your fiancee-to-be doesn't mind exchanging it then I'd look at other stones for sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results