color
clarity

Bought diamond.. need help confirming quality

diamondhunter32

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R120-631Z3Z8Z7
Round 1.2ct, F, VVS1, Excellent Cut

I've pulled the trigger on the above diamond and it seems like everything checks out. It's in my budget, Cut/proportions look good and the HCA tool gave it a 1.8.

Only potential issue(s) are that
1) Florescence is Medium Blue so it could be milky (although Enchanted told me its not)
2) I'm not 100% confident on the Hearts and Arrows diagram for this diamond. It looks "good enough" to my inexperienced eyes but I'd love a second opinion.

Would love to get a second opinion on this diamond and tips to see if it is milky (once i receive the diamond in person)

Thanks in advance!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Med blue is almost never a problem, so I wouldn't worry about it. Stone looks good in terms of proportion. Were you able to get an ASET or IS image to confirm performance? VVS1 is likely overkill for clarity, but totally up to you! Just so we have a sense, how much did you pay for it?

diamondhunter32

Rough_Rock
Thank you. No, I don't have an ASET or IS image. I paid ~$8600 which seemed like a good deal.
Did i overpay?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with lovedogs that the proportions look good, but they are slightly less than ideal. It’s a bit deep at over 62 and the 35 CA is ideally paired with 40.6 PA. Some people prefer shorter lower half length for bigger flashes instead of little sparkles ... and ideally the girdle a bit thinner ... the depth and the girdle mean that some of the weight is kind of wasted - at ideal it would add slightly to diameter. However that doesn’t mean that the proportions don’t work, just splitting hairs!!!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Some people prefer shorter lower half length for bigger flashes instead of little sparkles
Looking at the arrow patterns, pretty sure that this has lgf of aroud 78 or so, rounded up to 80 by the GIA. Despite the bit of clustering at the base of the arrow shaft, it's probably a sparkler in person.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
The only thing is it has a grade-setting cloud, combined with med florescence. It's VVS1 so the chance is that it'll be fine, but verify under the direct bright sun if you see any milkiness or haziness.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI, This stone is nowhere close of being a true H&A stone.

upload_2019-1-9_11-4-44-gif.669254

Their cut score is based on their own opinion.

Exactly. That score is garbage and provides no reliable information.

Interesting enough, I saw a very poorly cut stone on their site a few days back. It had a 60-something cut score. IMO, it was much lower than that. But at least they were trying to identify it as less quality. So props for the effort.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate EDs cut score. It's completely worthless and based on nothing more than their own option. IMHO they should either back up the scores with data or remove them and let reports speak for themselves. It drives me crazy!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The 'milky' effect comes from light generated internally under UV. It overshadows the light reflecting from the pavilion facets and has sort of the effect of obscured glass in the bathroom window. Light gets through but you can't really focus on much. It's easy enough to spot. Go out into an area of unshaded sunlight and look at the stone. In an overblue, which is the milky effect you're reading about, it'll be hard to focus on the culet or the pavilion facets. When you shadow it or take it inside, it gets easier. It's a very unusual effect, especially in a stone graded by the lab as medium.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results