shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought diamond from USA told I need UK appraisal for insurance

FearlessSmile

Rough_Rock
Hello all! :) I’ve bought an ACA from whiteflash after having massive support and information from this community thank-you!

However after looking to get it insured I’m told that I’ll have to get a UK appraisal as the one from America will be no good?

I have a reputable Jewelers near me with a Valuer who is part of the Institute of Registered Valuers. Www.johnpass.co.uk

My only concern is that they will need it for a few days and the diamond could become mixed up or worse switched? - will the diamond need to be removed from its setting? (If so could it be damaged?)

They have left the AGS inscription visible on the diamond however I believe this can be difficult to read? (I do have a 20x loupe although it is a cheap one).

Would it be obvious if it was mixed up or switched as it’s an ACA diamond? I’m guessing if it was mixed up or switched it would be obvious? Especially with most cuts here being mediocre.

Thank you :)

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fear of stone-switching is common, but the general view on here is that no reputable jeweller would do such a thing because it would damage their reputation.

That's not to say it doesn't happen, of course... (and there have been a couple of instances documented on here IIRC) but it is a rare occurrence as far as is reported on here.

What you could do is request that they find and show you the girdle's laser-etched grading report number, and note it down in a receipt (which I presume they would give to you when you leave something with them). You can then ask to see the etching when you return to pick the ring up :)

They might think you are weird to ask that, but I don't think there's anything wrong with stating that it is nothing personal, you just always have to have total reassurance when working with people.

I'm not aware of the Institute of Registered Valuers myself, but that's not to say it's not good - I just haven't heard of it :) Do an internet search for reviews and comments on the service, perhaps, although note that people only usually write online to complain and never compliment, and it's not outside the realms of possibility that some positive reviews are fake!

It's a shame that there are no UK appraisers in the list:
https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers

Perhaps @oldminer or @denverappraiser might be kind enough to recommend someone if they have some UK-based contacts?? (Apologies for asking, gents!)

It might even be that the valuer you have found can undertake the valuation in front of you - in which case most of your concerns shouldn't be an issue!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Might be worth contacting your local Assay Office, I believe they do valuation days at a high Street jeweller. You can book an appointment for a valuation, sit with the appraiser while they assess your piece. You then get a comprehensive valuation report with photographs, (IIRC, 2 reports, one B&W photos, one coloured) and I would think in the case of a certified diamond, inscription number.

I’ve had it done for coloured stones, and my insurance company accepted the report with no problem.

Not sure where you are, but these are the details of the London one.

https://www.assayofficelondon.co.uk/other-services/valuations

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice :)

Let us know what she says!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brilliant, glad you found someone close by.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
0C149127-7B6A-4974-A3DD-ED17C91C74DC.png

Thank you yes she is the one that’s on there :)

Hi. The Institure of Registered Valuers is highly regarded in the UK - there are very high standards for IRV membership and there are not that many of them in the UK. You should be in very safe hands =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results