shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought a diamond that turned out to be chipped HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DatDude

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a loose princess cut diamond from a respected vendor on this site. I had been looking for a diamond for quite a while and thought I had found the perfect one. I even called the vendor two times and had them(2 different people at the store) look at the stone and asked what the inclusions/imperfections were and if they concerned them before I bought it. When I took the stone to get appraised and set the jewler found a tiny chip on the side of it (this was while I was standing there watching so I know he didn''t do it). He immediately said their store would not even consider setting that stone. I was completely shocked and disappointed since this was never mentioned to me. When I got home I looked at the AGS certificate and the area that was chipped was lined off. I then took it to another jewler, that is a GIA gemologist, to have him look at it. He confirmed the chip but was not concerned about it with regards to setting it. When I spoke with the vendor they said that they thought the area that was marked on the certificate was a feather and not a chip. So I guess I am asking for opinions on what to do. How does a tiny chip effect the value and the durability of a princess cut diamond? I bought the diamond and the vendor priced it based on it not having a chip. When I asked if they would consider adjusting the price to reflect the chip they said it would not change the price because it is on the certificate (mind you they thought it was a small feather not a chip when they priced the stone). Does this sound right? I really like the diamond but am now not sure what to do. Should I be concerned by the small chip and if I do decide to keep it should the price be adjusted to reflect the chip? Any help/opinions are appreciated.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you within the return period??

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whats the clarity rating of the diamond and where is the inclusion?

Did someone look at the stone under 60X to make sure it wasnt an open feather?

Did they mention the "feather" when you discussed the stone before buying it?

Whats the return policy the vendor has in place?

Will they do an exchange or trade up? What are those policies there?

I dont like open feathers or chips either one and dont accept either but if you knew about it before hand they have a case.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I have the same question as Storm regarding the clarity rating. If the stone is an SI I don''t think there will be any price difference if the stone has a small chip. Also, I''ve heard that, in shipment, a feather can, under pressure, break further. Maybe that''s what happened. Who knows? Did you use tweezers to look at your stone before taking it to the appraiser? If so you may have grabbed the stone where the feather is and chiped it. Or, your certificate may not be accurate. I know my GIA certificate said there was a cloud where there was actually a crystal inclusion (or was it the other way around?), and it was missing a couple of other tiny inclusions (none visible to the eye). Everything else was accurate, but there were those mistakes.

Finally, if the stone is AMAZING, if the clarity rating doesn''t change with the chip, and if you can find someone who feels comfortable setting your stone despite the chip, I don''t think there''s a problem. But, if the chip bothers you I would see if the vendor can re-polish the stone where it''s chipped without changing the weight on the certificate, or return the stone.

Where is the chip on your stone located? How big is it?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
have another question:
on the cert what does the marking look like for that inclusion and what color is the mark?

Could be an indented natural also.
In that case as long as it isnt near the corners it should be ok.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Can you tell Storm''s a diamond expert despite his assertion that he''s not an expert?!?! Seriously, he knows his stuff!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since it is on the lab report, this tells me the indentation was taken into account by the clarity grade that you paid for. Without seeing the stone, I can''t tell whether your stone is overall more exposed to chip further (thin girdle, shallow crown would do that).

In general, diamonds are exposed to wear just like anything else. It is not unusual to find old diamonds (not bought yesterday - thing grandmother''s) with chips on the girdle and crown and those chips surely do lower the clarity grade.

Just my 0.2...

I can''t possibly tell why would one jeweler accept to set your stone and another would not. This may have allot to do with the store''s policy and the guy''s communication skills, and little with your stone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree researcher Storm IS a diamond expert, in my book anyways!!!
2.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
If it makes you nervous then I think that I would return the diamond and choose another one. Have you discussed this option with the vendor?

lawdog

Rough_Rock
Disclamer: I am not offering nor providing legal advice. I would suggest contacting the vendor first and trying to work it out there and then if no luck you should consider contacting a lawyer if the damages are substantial enough.

My question would be is a feather a chip? If the vendor sold you a stone that was advertised as having only a feather mark which turned out to be actually a chip I don''t care what the clarity report states you didn''t pay for a diamond that had a chip in it. You might of paid for a SI1 diamond, and even if the argument could be made that a chip would not downgrade the clarity and it would still be an SI1, structurally the diamond is different. As evidenced by the fact that some places won''t even touch it because it is chipped, in my opinion there are damages present. I have a hard time believing that if placing two otherwise identical stones next to each other and one is classified as having a chip and the other a feather you would pay the same for them.

If you can''t tell already I am a trial lawyer by trade and if the damages are substantial enough I would not have a problem taking this case to court. At a minium you have possible claims for breach of contract, promissory estoppel/detrimental reliance, unjust enrichment, and consumer sales practices act violations.

I am not advocating taking a confrontational stand upfront, but sometimes it is the only way. Try to work it out with the vendor at first.

DatDude

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help guys I''ll try to answer all your questions.

Kaleigh, I am within the return period.

Storm, the clarity rating of the stone is SI1, it was looked at under at least 30x magnification(it was shown to me at this magnification at the first place I went) and was said to be a chip at both places I took it, there was no mention of a feather near the edge before I bought it so it came as a total surprise. The vendor has a 30 day return period and they do allow you to trade up but not exchange.

Researcher, I never took the stone out of the holder that it was sent to me in(some kind of ring like holder that pinches (places pressure on the sides of the stone)) inside the ring box. The certificate appears accurate and the GIA gemologist thought that the chip was reflected in the certificate. The chip is small enough that you can''t see it without considerable magnification and is located on the bottom edge of the stone somewhat near the corner(see crude drawing below with the L and the I being the corners)

L_-----_____________________I

I guess my question is, based on what I''ve told you, do you think the chip, that is very small and thin, could lead to more problems? I really like the stone( I searched for a long time to find one) so I would like to keep it but will return it if this is a major problem. With regards to pricing, even if the grading of the stone doesn''t change wouldn''t this still change the price? All stones graded equally are not priced the same. They priced the stone based on it not having a chip and I bought it at that price with the understanding that there was no chip(I didn''t even know they thought there was a feather there). I am wrong in thinking that since there is a chip, even though it doesn''t effect how it was graded, it will effect the price? Thanks again everyone.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a feather that broke the surface.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree F&I. Datdude, have you discussed any of this with the vendor??

DatDude

Rough_Rock
I have called the vendor numerous times. First when I found out it had the chip and then again before I took it to the gemologist as well as after. There original position was that there was no chip when it left them and that a feather broke/chipped off somehow. After I told them that the supposed feather was confirmed to be a chip and that the GIA gemologist thought that it was reflected on the report they said that it must be small and would not bother them or change how they priced the stone. Originally their position did not allow for a return and refund because they thought the stone was damaged, despite the fact that thats how it arrived to me, but now they say since it on the certificate that I could return it for a refund if I chose to. I really like the stone but don''t know enough about diamonds to determine if this warants a return or if it doesn''t and I keep it should the price be adjusted. If it doesn''t that is fine I''m just annoyed that I spent some extra money and bought from a highly regarded vendor to ensure that I got a great stone now all of this is happening. I really appreciate the help everyone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know you put a lot of work into finding this stone, and you love it. But I wouldn''t be happy with a stone that has a chip. I''d be afraid more damage would occur to it down the road. But that''s me, it''s what your comfort level is I guess.
2.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I''m missing something here, but GIA reports have a legend for the symbols used in the plot. Is it listed as a feather or a chip? Also, when the two appraisers saw the chip, where they looking at 10x or something higher? What does the area look like under 10x?? Because that is how it would have been graded on the GIA report.

DatDude

Rough_Rock
The AGS cert does hava a legend but none of the symbols match what is drawn and it is very small. There is essentially a line around the border of the chip with the exact size, shape and location of the chip. One of the appraisers could see something there at 10x magnification but both needed a microscope to confirm that it was indeed a chip.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2005 1:29:47 PM
Author: DatDude
The AGS cert does hava a legend but none of the symbols match what is drawn and it is very small. There is essentially a line around the border of the chip with the exact size, shape and location of the chip. One of the appraisers could see something there at 10x magnification but both needed a microscope to confirm that it was indeed a chip.
Sorry, don''t know why I thought you had a GIA report. That is what I hate about AGS reports
2.gif
. GIA only gives you the legend for the symbols on the particular diamond''s plot.

When you run your finger over the area, do you feel anything?

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
DatDude & Forum,

Neither myself nor my company are involved in this particular issue, but I really wanted to chime in and give an outside vendor opinion.

It seems that when anyone hears the word "chip" they immediately freak out and assume the diamond has been significantly compromised in both durability and value. The word "chip" has such a negative connotation that we assume the diamond is, in fact, "damaged goods" and not really worthy of consideration.

Often times, however, chips can be VERY SMALL and VERY INSIGNIFICANT. These microscopic "nicks" can occur during the cutting process and may amount to as little as 1/500th of a carat. I have seen diamonds with VVS clarity grades that listed ''chip'' on the GIA key to symbols. From what I have read here, this tiny missing "flake" of diamond is on the underside of the diamond, undetectable to the naked eye, not located directly in a corner and plotted on the AGS report! How I wish we could describe every diamond clarity characteristic this way!

I don''t know who the vendor is, but I agree with their stance. If you loved the diamond with a feather, love the stone with a nick, flake or (God forbid) even a chip :)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds like to me you wont be happy with knowing there is a "chip/feather/inclusion/natural/whatever" so my opinion is return it for a refund and keep looking.

It doesnt really matter at this point what it is if your uncomfortable with it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
have another question..
Do you have any inclusion photos from the vendor?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RETURN IT,return it, or else it will get stuck in your mind.
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results