shape
carat
color
clarity

Book on Advanced Cut Grading!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello Everyone,

I was sitting at my computer this morning reading the many articles posted about the issue surrounding the minor facets and the relevance they have to a stones overall performance.

I realized and wondered if anyone in the industry has thought about putting together a book on the principles currently applied in today’s industry surrounding advanced cut grading. Ideally it would be interesting if several different professionals in the industry authored the book, along with the opinions of independent appraisers which have and use these tools themselves.

Being a consumer it is very interesting to me that there are many devices and theories to evaluate a diamond's performance.

Is it unrealistic to think there could be such a book, or are current methods still in the stages of being refined in the sense that there is no one straight answer or method in doing so.

I think it would be interesting from the consumer’s point of view to read such a book. The consumer could read all the facts and opinions backed up by many professionals theories on how it is based or has been devised. It could be based on science or a device, which they use or have devised which incorporates real life observations and the scientific outline of how they applied their principles in formulating their device or theory.

I am under the impression and am aware that many people in the industry might either dismiss different principles of advanced cut grading or not be aware that they exist at all, but maybe in the future with more gained exposure a book can be published explaining all the different devices in today’s market and how they apply to advanced cut grading including the theories behind them.

Maybe the market would be limited, but a savvy consumer who likes to learn and take things to the extreme might find it interesting...

I think the book could include Authors like:

Serg (DiamonCalc), Garry (HCA & Ideal-Scope), Rhino (for his vast knowledge of advanced cut grading, (Randy, The inventor of the B-Scope and the Gem-ex Corporation, & the new Isee2 Technology and any other relevant professional in the industry who can shed light on the new techniques being used.

Maybe the book would just be a big conflict of interest and to be co-authored by all the individuals who market these products and devices would bring out biases because of the vested interest they might have in marketing their product.

Would it be realistic to think that there could be an independent professional in the industry that understands everything involved which has nothing to gain except stating the facts how they have been applied to advanced cut grading and the theories behind them.

I have read and read and read...and I learn more everyday in advanced cut grading. Small steps and then when I finally see the answer to one of my questions, I move on to the next question. This book would be a way to compile all the measures being used and streamline the consumers thirst to come up with their own conclusions based on the different principles applied and would also spark others in the industry to contest or question or probe about the content of measures and devices being used by people in the industry...

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had thought up of an idea like authoring a book.........

If you’re a Consumer or Professional in the industry I would like to hear your opinions..

Warm Regards..

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
wacko.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Isn't this what the multi-year, multi-part, sometimes-debated
1.gif
, work-in-progress GIA cut study is supposed to accomplish?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 8/31/2003 10:45:18 AM elmo wrote:

Isn't this what the multi-year, multi-part, sometimes-debated
1.gif
, work-in-progress GIA cut study is supposed to accomplish?
----------------

Hey Elmo,

The Gia is considered an authority in the industry, but there were a couple things that have been debated were ignored in their study and reflected light and it's impact was one of them....

Gia would have their chapter in this book too though.....

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
appl.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The subject of cut grading has greatly advanced over the past thirty years. It has really advanced a whole lot, but it is still a rather young subject with many expert opinions and lack of total agreement on several aspects.

This is a two edged sword. There are areas of agreement which do not create differences of opinion any longer, so we are definitely making progress. Consumers know that they ought to really look at a diamond to appreciate the cutting nuances. This is truly a rather recent development. People simply used to trust a seller. Now, one is warned and instructed to use their knowledge AND their own eyes. These are good things.

Most cut grading being done today is still imperfect in some way or another. While this is better than years ago, it is not a done business. In due course, there will be exacting and totally repeatable numeric, digital measurements of brilliancy scintillation and dispersion. When these are correctly balanced and the stone is of an optimum shape, you will have an "Ideal Cut" While we have not gotten to that point quite yet, don't think for a moment that the entire industry is simply waiting on the GIA or any other well known entity specifically to give everyone this golden key of knowledge. This is a very important part of progress crucail to modernization of the diamond business.

Great minds, from many places, are actively pursuing the exacting answers the consumer wants. The trade does have a vested interest in holding the status quo, but the search for progress and knowledge is not controlled by diamond dealers.

Don't hold your breathe, but the answers to these issues will be coming to everyone. There will be skeptics regardless of the accuracy of the answers initially. In due course, there will be agreement that this is a something that can properly be addressed. Stay tuned. New things happen every day even in this very traditional arena.

appl.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I guess if we were content to wait for the golden key of knowledge from the GIA, we wouldn't have AGA cut grading, AGS cut grading, ...
1.gif
The GIA knows most of the major players in this arena...I guess you're saying it would be wishful thinking on my part that it could serve as a sort of "great unifying force" and arbiter.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results