shape
carat
color
clarity

boarderline clarity, SI2, aka: scarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

okaynow

Rough_Rock
Okay,

My question is, what type of inclusion would be most preferable in an SI2. Feather, cloud, crystal, etc...?

Thanks Fellows.

okaynow

Rough_Rock
follow up.

I was checking out superbcert.com. The site says that a super ideal will hide inclusions in an sI2 stone. Is that true? Has anyone seen an sI2 superideal H&A that isn't eye clean?
I remember looking at diamonds in the mall. Some of them were so sparkly that my eyes couldn't focus on the diamonds clarity. Is this what they mean when they say an awesome cut will hide clarity issues???

Thanks

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
First, I would not recommand buying an SI2 over the net..... If you look at a typical SI2
from the bottom, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to see the inclusions without a loupe (even
maybe from the side). What you want to avoid is those blacks carbon dots.
However there are some SI2 out there with ONE main single inclusion (white) right
under the table that are sometimes good buy..... Bottom line, you need to see the
stone before buying under daylight (not spotlight).

Trichrome.

okaynow

Rough_Rock
Trichrome,

Thanks for the response.

Will those inclusions you mention show face up? I thought SI2s are supposed to be eye cleen when face up?

What type of inclusions are "white" inclusions?

Can a Cert tell me the depth of an inclusion?

I'm thinking about finding a good deal by going SI2.

Thanks for the help.

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

After many years in the high end retail level and now being in the appraisal business, I couldn't help but offer a little advice. I would always sell SI1 or better. Those SI2's can sometimes be borderline I1's and oftentimes you will be able to see the inclusions from the bottom or side of the stone. You don't want her to be able to see this once it is set! As far as eye clean face up....depends on your eyesight. I always tell my partner she has eagle eyes. She can spot things that I can't without the scope....I must be spoiled by the scope!

White inclusions normally are perceved by the way light is reflected off of them and they appear lighter which is more desirable than a black inclusion. Depends on the nature of the inclusion, the size, the location and the number of inclusions when assigning grades.
-------------------------
---------------------------
No, a cert doesn't give a 3-d dimension to the plot. The deeper the inclusion, the more likely it will be a reflector (mirror images looking like many inclusions when in reality there is ony one)
--------------------
I'm thinking about finding a good deal by going SI2.
--------------------
Think good value and not so much good deal. The consumers are so fortunate to have all the information available to them on the internet and all the diamond sites to shop. I suggest just educating yourself, getting a cert (GIA or AGS), buy from someone with a generous return policy,have an independent appraiser verify the stone with the cert (make sure it is right on with the grading too! We have seen some boo boo's) Send me a copy of the cert when you are almost ready to purchase and I would be happy to offer some advice if necessary.
appl.gif

Cindy

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
---------------------------
No, a cert doesn't give a 3-d dimension to the plot. The deeper the inclusion, the more likely it will be a reflector (mirror images looking like many inclusions when in reality there is ony one)
--------------------

Quoted above 'The deeper the inclusion, the more likely it will be a reflector'

Are all reflectors deep inclusions then or does it depend on the position of the inclusion as well? Can light inclusions also reflect?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results