shape
carat
color
clarity

**Blushingbride**

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hey girlie! Hope all is well with you!!!!

I just wanted to ask you a quick random question.....You had mentioned in a previous thread that your co-worker commutes into NYC from PA. I just wanted to ask you if you know anything about the area he lives in/if you have been there? If you have been there.....is it nice? Does it look like NJ? Are there things to do? How are the taxes? Would you live there?

Not thinking anything (yet!), but MH and I were just talking about re-location the other day. What you can get for a certain amount of money in that area is insane (in a good way) in comparison to here!!!! I doubt we would do it, b/c all of our family and friends are here, but I was just curious and wanted to hear your feedback on it.....

Thanks!!!

eta: How is your RE search going? Any updates?

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Hello my dear! Things are going well - how about with you? How''s married life?
2.gif

Yes, I have a co-worker who commutes from Yardley, PA (in Bucks county near New Hope). He drives to Hamilton, NJ (about 15 min. drive) and catches the express train to Manhattan which is an hour. He doesn''t mind the commute one bit.

I grew up in Allentown, PA (my parents still live there) so, I''m familiar with Bucks County - it''s gorgeous! It also offers some great schools, etc. I took DH there a few months ago and he loved it too. The only problem is that he''s used to walking 5 min. to get to work here in the city and doesn''t think he''d do well with such a long trip everyday (if you don''t catch an express train, your commute is like an 1 1/2 by train). So, as of now, we are not considering moving to PA. Possibly Princeton, but even that''s a stretch.

You''re right though...what you can get in Bucks County you could never find here which is another reason why we loved it. I grew up in a big house with a large backyard and you can''t find anything like that around here for less than $700 K. It''s nuts! We don''t want a long commute, but we also want a nice house so, it''s hard.
20.gif

As for us, my DH was recently offered a new project (he''s a property manager) so, we have delayed our move for at least another two years. In the meantime, we just bought a condo which has become an investment. We''ll make some upgrades to it (it''s brand new) and rent it out. After two years, we''ll decide if we want to sell it or keep it for a few more years. However, at the point we are moving out of the city. Like I said, we have considered Princeton, but we also love Westfield, Chatham, Summit, Short Hills, Millburn, etc. It''s so expensive, but the areas are soooo nice!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Hi girls, hope you don''t me butting in.

We''re also in the house search. Seeing how I''m pg, we''ve got a timeline of the summer/fall--nothing like pressure! But if we don''t find anything, we''ll just rent something larger around the City until the market is more ideal. We are also looking in the same areas in NJ that Blushing mentioned and also want a "short" commute. Right now we''re focused on Summit, Chatham, Madison...but the houses are pricey and close together! We still have our homework cut out for us.

Princeton area is lovely (where we married!) and express train can make the commute 1 1/2 hrs door to door. Sounds long, but pretty much can only shave off about 1/2 hr max by living further north and that''s if you''re next to the train station! Yardley is only 15mns from Princeton, so I sometimes forget it''s even in PA!

Dani--where do you work in the City? I think you work in a hospital, so I was curious!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much!

I dont know, the more I think about it, the more appealing it becomes to me to possibly re-locate to PA in the future. Although I never saw myself doing that. Obviously there are so many variables, like where will Brian and I be working, where will our families be, etc., but we too would love to buy a house next yr, so just keeping our options open at this point. We really dont know what to do with our condo...right now we are debating whether to put it on the market withink the next 2 months, and then rent a place till we are ready to buy, or hold onto it and live here until we are ready to buy a home. Its such a hard decision. Our realtor thinks if we sell it soon we will take less of a hit then if we sell it next yr....I dont know!!!

eta: How are the taxes in Yardley, BB? Do you know?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Janine!

Hope all is well with you too!! How are you feeling? Of course we dont mind you butting it!

I cant believe Yardley is only 15 mins from Princeton. I love Princeton too, but its pricey! I dont live in NYC, I live in NJ (north-central)...Basking Ridge/Bedminster area.....And, although we love it here, its very pricey, and what we can get here for $500K is ridicuous for what we can get in PA, you know? I am sure it wont happen (the re-location) but it just got me thinking the other day...And MH and I love the New Hope area.....Currently, we live about 35 mins from Princeton, and about 1 hr from New Hope....

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Janinegirly! I was wondering what was going on with you and the house hunt. The pricey houses with no yards really bother me - I honestly don't know what I'm going to do if I end up settling for something. I just have this vision of what I want and it's nearly impossible to find it around here. I love my job (and so does DH), so I can't see us working anywhere but in the city, however I think about this housing situation daily and it's really a tough decision.

Oh I forgot to add that we live in a 2 bedroom condo so, when we start TTC and it does happen, we'll be fine living here temporarily.

How's the little bean!!??

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 10:49:22 AM
Author: blushingbride
Hi Janinegirly! I was wondering what was going on with you and the house hunt. The pricey houses with no yards really bother me - I honestly don''t know what I''m going to do if I end up settling for something. I just have this vision of what I want and it''s nearly impossible to find it around here. I love my job (and so does DH), so I can''t see us working anywhere but in the city, however I think about this housing situation daily and it''s really a tough decision.

And you know what, BB? The whole tax situation and the cost of living in this state just bothers me.....You are going to pay sky high for taxes in the areas you are looking in.....How about we all move to Yardley and be neighbors!!! LOL!!
3.gif

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
LOL! I love that idea! :) I know, my best friend''s sister moved to Maplewood, NJ last year after giving birth to their daughter. My friend loves the area and talks about how she and her fiance want to move there now too. But, she mentioned the taxes were the highest in the state (Essex County) so, that bothers her. Although, she and her fiance are both lawyers so, I think they''ll manage just fine.
2.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 10:53:26 AM
LOL! I love that idea! :) I know, my best friend's sister moved to Maplewood, NJ last year after giving birth to their daughter. My friend loves the area and talks about how she and her fiance want to move there now too. But, she mentioned the taxes were the highest in the state (Essex County) so, that bothers her. Although, she and her fiance are both lawyers so, I think they'll manage just fine.
2.gif

I would love to take a trip out there one day just to look around. Besides Yardley, do you recommend any other areas?

eta: I like Maplewood too, but its kind of a weird town. Some gorgeous areas, and then some *not so great* areas at all. And, its right next to Newark.
6.gif

I wouldnt live there, but that's just me.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I'm not familiar with PA, but I do know it's much more reasonable--taxes and house wise, so it's worth researching. Keep us posted!

Blushing-I hear ya on the small lots. Luckily my DH has an eye for this stuff so he does all the hard work. I do find houses that I like, but of course they are never less than $800K. We're also considering buying something that has a nice lot, nice location (short commute) but just a so so house which we'll upgrade ourselves. Next 2-3 months will be critical, so we'll know one way or the other pretty soon!
If you have a 2bdrm in the City, you could definitely hang there a few more years, even with a baby. We're in a studio and it's a gorgeous building, but right in mid-town. Too much hustle bustle. Nice if you're in your 20's and single, but not if you're married, pg, and old! (haha).

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 10:54:40 AM
Author: Dani

LOL! I love that idea! :) I know, my best friend''s sister moved to Maplewood, NJ last year after giving birth to their daughter. My friend loves the area and talks about how she and her fiance want to move there now too. But, she mentioned the taxes were the highest in the state (Essex County) so, that bothers her. Although, she and her fiance are both lawyers so, I think they''ll manage just fine.
2.gif

I would love to take a trip out there one day just to look around. Besides Yardley, do you recommend any other areas?

eta: I like Maplewood too, but its kind of a weird town. Some gorgeous areas, and then some *not so great* areas at all. And, its right next to Newark.
6.gif

I wouldnt live there, but that''s just me.
New Hope and Upper Makefield are lovely too - Bucks County in general is so nice. Gosh, now you have me thinking about it again!
3.gif

I know! We thought the same thing when we took a drive there. We couldn''t believe how close to Newark it was!
40.gif
We would never live there either...it just wasn''t for us.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Janine - definitely keep us posted! I''m so curious to know what you''ll find doing while your reserching over the next several months.

LOL...you are NOT old. But, I know what you''re saying. It''s getting harder and harder to live in the city. We just have that attitude like, "been there done that" and are ready to move on. We feel like like it''s way more of inconvenience than it''s worth. I guess I''m just in one of those moods where the city is getting on my nerves. It''s like a love hate relationship.
11.gif
12.gif
Some days I absolutely adore it and can''t imagine living anywhere else...other times I absolutely hate it.

My DH is amazing at renovating/upgrading houses. He owns another property in Staten Island which he also rents out and the before and after pictures are unbelievable. I would love to find something that is in move-in condition, but I know that''s going to be a rare find.
20.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 11:07:20 AM
Date: 4/1/2008 10:54:40 AM

LOL! I love that idea! :) I know, my best friend's sister moved to Maplewood, NJ last year after giving birth to their daughter. My friend loves the area and talks about how she and her fiance want to move there now too. But, she mentioned the taxes were the highest in the state (Essex County) so, that bothers her. Although, she and her fiance are both lawyers so, I think they'll manage just fine.
2.gif

6.gif

I wouldnt live there, but that's just me.

New Hope and Upper Makefield are lovely too - Bucks County in general is so nice. Gosh, now you have me thinking about it again!
3.gif

I know! We thought the same thing when we took a drive there. We couldn't believe how close to Newark it was!
40.gif
We would never live there either...it just wasn't for us.

Alot of towns in the Essex cty area are like that....For instance, we love Montclair (MH and I both lived there for a few yrs when we were dating), but its the same story as Maplewood. Multi-million dollar homes on one street, and then 2 streets over its totaly ghetto and such a bad area (and 5 mins from Newark). And most of the homes have no property. Its not for us either.

Now that we have been in Somerset cty for a couple of yrs, we are finding that we just like it here so much more...so much better for raising a family, which we are not doing anytime in the *near* future, but def within the next 2 yrs.....So.....But I dont think either of us would mind going even further west, like to PA, especially if its more affordable and life would be easier for us out there....

-And you are SO lucky that your DH is handy, BB. Mine is SO NOT!!!!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Dani - isn''t there a Somerset County and a town called Somerset too?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 11:32:27 AM
Dani - isn't there a Somerset County and a town called Somerset too?

Yes. Somerset (the town) is more south Jersey, like by New Brunswick (near Rutgers University).....I think its located around the southernmost tip of Somerset cty... Whereas, I am more north....

I know nothing about that area though....

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Got it - do you recommend any towns in Somerset County? I''m not familiar with the county.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 12:02:54 PM
Got it - do you recommend any towns in Somerset County? I''m not familiar with the county.

Yes! Defnitely! Gorgeous areas:

Bedminster
Basking Ridge
Bernardsville
Far Hills (very $$$$$$)
Peapack Gladstone
Warren
Watchung

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
OK - I''ve been to Basking Ridge and Bernardsville - loved those areas. For some reason I didn''t know they were Somerset County...interesting. Thanks!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 12:17:14 PM
OK - I've been to Basking Ridge and Bernardsville - loved those areas. For some reason I didn't know they were Somerset County...interesting. Thanks!

I know...they are so pretty....If we do stay in NJ (Im sure we will) we will look for a home in those 2 towns for sure....love it!!
We will probably (eventually) be neighbors!!!!
1.gif

eta: You would love it here in Bedminster too. Taxes are crazy low here as well!!! Its really pretty!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 12:20:43 PM

OK - I''ve been to Basking Ridge and Bernardsville - loved those areas. For some reason I didn''t know they were Somerset County...interesting. Thanks!

I know...they are so pretty....If we do stay in NJ (Im sure we will) we will look for a home in those 2 towns for sure....love it!!
1.gif

eta: You would love it here in Bedminster too. Taxes are crazy low here as well!!! Its really pretty!
Hilarious - hey, you never know. It could happen!
5.gif
After all, our wedding venues were practically next door to each other! Thanks for all the advice regarding Jersey. I hope I was just as helpful regarding PA. I guess we really can''t go wrong either way...

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 1:27:58 PM
Date: 4/1/2008 12:20:43 PM

1.gif

Hilarious - hey, you never know. It could happen!
5.gif
After all, our wedding venues were practically next door to each other! Thanks for all the advice regarding Jersey. I hope I was just as helpful regarding PA. I guess we really can''t go wrong either way...

Thanks so much...you gave me some great advice that we will definitely keep in mind when we are ready to buy......Best of luck to you and your DH too, and keep us posted!!!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results