shape
carat
color
clarity

BlueNile Signature GIA-XXX vs JamesAllen True Hearts AGS-000

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
Re: BlueNile Signature GIA-XXX vs JamesAllen True Hearts AGS

I disagree on some of those points, smith. I think that the reason most people are pointed away from BN and toward PS vendors is because most of them are newbies looking for an engagement ring. They typically need images and videos, etc to make the right purchase. It is also very commonly recommended that e-rings use stones that are higher color/eye clean and those features can be easier for a newbie to assess with images and video. For anything other than an e-ring, BN can be a great choice. Granted, they have a generous return policy, but most of the people coming here for the first time are strapped for time.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Yes, good points Smilligan. I do think the images etc are good to have, and very helpful, if you are purchasing engagement jewellery. For someone who is new to diamond-shopping, BN requires a customer who is very price-sensitive and willing to take the risk of having to send it back.

If I were a newbie making a huge purchase I would like the images too.

But newbies are rarely given a balanced view of the pros and cons of BN's model versus the PS vendors models. The vendors are presented as simply better and Blue Nile as worse, when they are just different. Sometimes, the difference for specs-equivalent stones can be well into the four figures. I don't feel that newbies are given informed choices of all the options including BN, meaning that in theory they could end up with diamonds which are smaller/lower colour/lower clarity than they could have obtained if they had encountered a balanced view - i.e. been reminded that you pay for all those images with higher pricing. By that, I mean they might have decided to forgo all the handholding to put the max possible of their budget into the diamond, which you can do with BN if you are comfortable with a certain level of risk.

For example, what about newbies who don't have much money to spend? They would probably want to max their budget on the diamond but are strongly encouraged to shop at much more expensive vendors with images.

I do find the attitude to BN on here a bit depressing, and I certainly don't fit in with the culture here that one business model is king.

My chant is: BN and other drop shippers are not worse, they are just different and they service different market segments with different needs. There is room for both.

But newbies don't often encounter a balanced viewpoint towards BN on PS.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

smilligan|1386455881|3569698 said:
I disagree on some of those points, smith. I think that the reason most people are pointed away from BN and toward PS vendors is because most of them are newbies looking for an engagement ring. They typically need images and videos, etc to make the right purchase. It is also very commonly recommended that e-rings use stones that are higher color/eye clean and those features can be easier for a newbie to assess with images and video. For anything other than an e-ring, BN can be a great choice. Granted, they have a generous return policy, but most of the people coming here for the first time are strapped for time.

Do you mean that higher colours for engagement rings are recommended in general, or here on PS? Because on PS the warmer colours, I-J-K, are routinely recommended. Particularly I and J for engagement rings.

LetItShine

Shiny_Rock

Totally agree with you Smith1942!!! I love Bluenile and I think there is a lot of missed opportunity here because people constantly get steered towards PS vendors.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock

This is my observation...

If a post is put up about JA that is negatively some posters will defend JA so ferociously, to the point of even attacking the OP, for being so awful for posting something so absolutely terrible, and how could they live with themselves for wording this so incorrectly, and it is all their fault that they handled this wrong, and how could they blame JA etc etc.

If a post is put up about a BN diamond, many posters will not comment.

It is against forum policy that a company can comment on a post about a competitor diamond.

This lead me to suspect, that some posters are closely affiliated with certain vendors.

It's only a feeling I have, so I really hope that I don't get yelled, but it is my personal observation.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock

Smith1942|1386456701|3569706 said:
Yes, good points Smilligan. I do think the images etc are good to have, and very helpful, if you are purchasing engagement jewellery. For someone who is new to diamond-shopping, BN requires a customer who is very price-sensitive and willing to take the risk of having to send it back.

But newbies are rarely given a balanced view of the pros and cons of BN's model versus the PS vendors models. The vendors are presented as simply better and Blue Nile as worse, when they are just different. Sometimes, the difference for specs-equivalent stones can be well into the four figures. I don't feel that newbies are given informed choices of all the options including BN, meaning that in theory they could end up with diamonds which are smaller/lower colour/lower clarity than they could have obtained if they had encountered a balanced view - i.e. been reminded that you pay for all those images with higher pricing. By that, I mean they might have decided to forgo all the handholding to put the max possible of their budget into the diamond, which you can do with BN if you are comfortable with a certain level of risk.

For example, what about newbies who don't have much money to spend? They would probably want to max their budget on the diamond but are strongly encouraged to shop at much more expensive vendors with images.

I do find the attitude to BN on here a bit depressing, and I certainly don't fit in with the culture here that one business model is king.

My chant is: BN and other drop shippers are not worse, they are just different and they service different market segments with different needs. There is room for both.

This is true. BN and other drop shippers are very rarely recommended on PS. It's also true that there is a strong preference toward WF, BGD, JA, and GOG. I agree with you that BN is not worse and they do not carry "poor" quality stones. It's just more difficult to assess the quality without a decent knowledge base. As for color, I am referring to PS. I and J are still in the "near colorless" category. I didn't mean D, E, and F, necessarily. I would be comfortable buying a D-G diamond without ever seeing it because they always look colorless to me.

bliss_cathy - I think that you may be exaggerating a little. While it's true that people on this forum tend to protect the PS vendors from slander, I seriously doubt that any of them benefit from doing so. Also, I think the reason that more people comment on posts about JA, WF, BGD, etc. is because more people have personal experience with them. When someone has a good experience with a company, that person generally feels a sense of loyalty to them. Smith would be an example of this, IMO. I don't mean that in a negative way at all. It's just a fact of life. There are a lot of biased vendor threads (on all forums), both positive and negative.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

bliss_cathy|1386459731|3569740 said:

If a post is put up about JA that is negatively some posters will defend JA so ferociously, to the point of even attacking the OP, for being so awful for posting something so absolutely terrible, and how could they live with themselves for wording this so incorrectly, and it is all their fault that they handled this wrong, and how could they blame JA etc etc.

It is against forum policy that a company can comment on a post about a competitor diamond.

This lead me to suspect, that some posters are closely affiliated with certain vendors.

It's only a feeling I have, so I really hope that I don't get yelled, but it is my personal observation.

A PS vendor once voiced the same concern to me on the phone during a conversation about a diamond. His concerns were based on the sheer number of postings that some people have - like over 30k gave him some concern, he said. I'm not sure how such a thing would work in practice, though. Many of the people who give advice are just people who are crazy about diamonds, like I am!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

smilligan|1386461217|3569755 said:
Smith1942|1386456701|3569706 said:

This is true. BN and other drop shippers are very rarely recommended on PS. It's also true that there is a strong preference toward WF, BGD, JA, and GOG. I agree with you that BN is not worse and they do not carry "poor" quality stones. It's just more difficult to assess the quality without a decent knowledge base. As for color, I am referring to PS. I and J are still in the "near colorless" category. I didn't mean D, E, and F, necessarily. I would be comfortable buying a D-G diamond without ever seeing it because they always look colorless to me.

bliss_cathy - I think that you may be exaggerating a little. While it's true that people on this forum tend to protect the PS vendors from slander, I seriously doubt that any of them benefit from doing so. Also, I think the reason that more people comment on posts about JA, WF, BGD, etc. is because more people have personal experience with them. When someone has a good experience with a company, that person generally feels a sense of loyalty to them. Smith would be an example of this, IMO. I don't mean that in a negative way at all. It's just a fact of life. There are a lot of biased vendor threads (on all forums), both positive and negative.

Yes, I'm a good example, having had many positive experiences with BN. Apart from the loose diamonds, I've also found their jewellery pieces to over-deliver when it comes to the diamond melee. Sometimes when I've opened the package I've been almost overcome with how sparkly and beautiful a piece is, relative to what I've paid. So I feel very loyal to them.

I also think that the PS vendors are fantastic. I just think that there should be more balance. Such bias cannot be doing newbies any favours.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

LetItShine|1386458123|3569727 said:
Totally agree with you Smith1942!!! I love Bluenile and I think there is a lot of missed opportunity here because people constantly get steered towards PS vendors.

Yes, I love BN, and this site must lose them thousands upon thousands of dollars' worth of business. If I were BN, I don't think I'd bother advertising here - what a waste of money!

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock

Smith1942|1386467032|3569804 said:

A PS vendor once voiced the same concern to me on the phone during a conversation about a diamond. His concerns were based on the sheer number of postings that some people have - like over 30k gave him some concern, he said. I'm not sure how such a thing would work in practice, though. Many of the people who give advice are just people who are crazy about diamonds, like I am!

That's interesting.

I like diamonds and shopping as well, but I would never get so emotionally attached to something out of loyalty that I would attack a random stranger or get really defensive about a shop I liked or something. I'd give my experience, sure, but I'd never get upset with anyone. Especially get nasty. I've even seen posters attack OPs relationships ie, i feel sorry for your fiance, you shouldn't get married because you are so 'awful/angry' etc for writing a negative post or and how could you do the wrong thing by a 'beloved' vendor? Now that to me? That is seriously misplaced priorities.

After reading PS for years, I've never seen someone defend BN, so it's refreshing to see, which is why I commented. I also think the information you gave is unbiased, it's very honest.

It wouldn't be difficult to make it work, they could give bigger discounts to loyal customers. I know I have been asked about which user name I am by some vendors and not others. They could also, as insidious as it sounds, simply work for the company.

I also find some of the posters that come and go for one thread oddly knowledgeable. Like they start the thread really clueless with a leading question going 'my BF/GF was looking at diamonds at Jareds and I was wondering about the quality of the diamond with EGL etc was...so posters can then start educating etc, then it leads to all of a sudden by the second post, the OP is talking in PS acronyms, even referring to posters as PSers and vendors by JA, GOG, WF etc GIA vs AGS etc...if it was my first post, I'd be seriously, what is a PSers? And what is JA, GOG, WF etc and an HCA?

Now please, before anyone gets upset with me, it's just an observation. And it's nothing I can prove or disprove so thats all I'm going to say on it. I really enjoy PS, its not even an observation I'm upset about...

smilligan

Shiny_Rock

bliss_cathy|1386475936|3569899 said:

That's interesting.

I like diamonds and shopping as well, but I would never get so emotionally attached to something out of loyalty that I would attack a random stranger or get really defensive about a shop I liked or something. I'd give my experience, sure, but I'd never get upset with anyone. Especially get nasty. I've even seen posters attack OPs relationships ie, i feel sorry for your fiance, you shouldn't get married because you are so 'awful/angry' etc for writing a negative post or and how could you do the wrong thing by a 'beloved' vendor? Now that to me? That is seriously misplaced priorities.

After reading PS for years, I've never seen someone defend BN, so it's refreshing to see, which is why I commented. I also think the information you gave is unbiased, it's very honest.

It wouldn't be difficult to make it work, they could give bigger discounts to loyal customers. I know I have been asked about which user name I am by some vendors and not others. They could also, as insidious as it sounds, simply work for the company.

I also find some of the posters that come and go for one thread oddly knowledgeable. Like they start the thread really clueless with a leading question going 'my BF/GF was looking at diamonds at Jareds and I was wondering about the quality of the diamond with EGL etc was...so posters can then start educating etc, then it leads to all of a sudden by the second post, the OP is talking in PS acronyms, even referring to posters as PSers and vendors by JA, GOG, WF etc GIA vs AGS etc...if it was my first post, I'd be seriously, what is a PSers? And what is JA, GOG, WF etc and an HCA?

Now please, before anyone gets upset with me, it's just an observation. And it's nothing I can prove or disprove so thats all I'm going to say on it. I really enjoy PS, its not even an observation I'm upset about...

Do you have any links to this? I would be very interested to see an example. It seems like a simple explanation to me, though. PS acronyms and the term "PSers" are used frequently and it takes about two seconds to read a post that describes what they stand for. I think I may be missing the point of your posts. I sometimes see you post about the negativity of other "PSers" and how there is favoritism and whatnot, but you don't provide references to back up your claims. That, to me, is being negative. Also, you've ended your last two posts with "don't get upset" or "I hope I don't get yelled at" for posting your personal opinions. Opinions are fine. In fact, that is what a forum is for. But to call out everyone else for having "negative" opinions without considering your own negative posts is a little hypocritical, don't you think? I really don't think it's appropriate to make blind accusations and then tell people not to get upset.

For the record, I'm not upset, lol.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock

smilligan|1386478274|3569921 said:

That's interesting.

Do you have any links to this? I would be very interested to see an example. It seems like a simple explanation to me, though. PS acronyms and the term "PSers" are used frequently and it takes about two seconds to read a post that describes what they stand for. I think I may be missing the point of your posts. I sometimes see you post about the negativity of other "PSers" and how there is favoritism and whatnot, but you don't provide references to back up your claims. That, to me, is being negative. Also, you've ended your last two posts with "don't get upset" or "I hope I don't get yelled at" for posting your personal opinions. Opinions are fine. In fact, that is what a forum is for. But to call out everyone else for having "negative" opinions without considering your own negative posts is a little hypocritical, don't you think? I really don't think it's appropriate to make blind accusations and then tell people not to get upset.

There's a thread currently active, the poster has done a complete 180 in a couple posts.

I've only commented on only a couple threads, one thread where I felt that people were ganging up on some poor girl and another and another where I don't even think anyone commented after me, when I made an observation. I certainly don't mean to be negative and I only jumped in that one time when I felt genuinely sorry for that that the girl. If that's hypocritical sorry. I just didn't like seeing someone being attacked. I didn't even think I'd written enough to be a remembered username.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I believe many PSers recommend the popular PS vendors because they have personal experience with them. Plus, these vendors give images required to provide recommendations online. The community here can't go see the diamonds from BN and have limited information to make a judgement call. I have never worked with JA but I recommend them on occasion because their search engine is easy and I can see the images easily.

I have nothing really against BN and think that there are benefits to big companies (like their no hassle return policy and fast service). I have also recommended BGD even though I never had a good experience with them while many others have.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

When I was buying my stud upgrade from BN, I didn't have images as they were from the Ideal line, not the Signature line. However, the experts here said that the angles all checked out, there was a good HCA score, and they said that minute deviations from the perfect cut, if any, would not result in any difference or loss of sparkle that would be visible to the naked eye. I did buy those studs, and using all my persuasive powers and the evidence of a list of past BN purchases as long as my arm, was able to persuade BN to get GCAL reports on them even though they were not Signature stones.

The GCAL reports showed optimal light performance. I have had similar luck buying stones without images, just using angles and the HCA.

I wonder why I was told that these stones would be absolutely fine to buy without images, and then when it comes to engagement ring stones - with much more money at stake - suddenly images are everything.

It's my opinion that the main use of the images that WF/BGD etc provide is to serve a particular segment of consumers with a particular psychology. You don't need the images to buy beautiful diamonds; I'm proof of that. They are a value-added service for which the consumer pays a huge amount, sometimes well into the four figures compared to a specs-equivalent diamond with no images from a drop-shipper.

As I said, the service that the PS vendors provide has its market, as does the BN model. But I don't buy into the PS-received wisdom that one simply must have those images before a purchase decision is made.

My unpopular viewpoint has served me with stones that are significantly bigger/icier (my preference) than I would have been able to get at a PS vendor for the same money. I wish all newbies were given that chance by receiving a balanced viewpoint of two equally valid business models.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

ETA: I do think the images are more useful for fancy shapes, and have been grateful for them when considering marquises. As I have said, there is room for every business. BN isn't a worse vendor for not having images; they're just different. Lack of images generally means lower prices if you pick wisely, but newbies are never given that counter-balanced view.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock

bliss_cathy|1386480495|3569929 said:
smilligan|1386478274|3569921 said:

That's interesting.

There's a thread currently active, the poster has done a complete 180 in a couple posts.

I've only commented on only a couple threads, one thread where I felt that people were ganging up on some poor girl and another and another where I don't even think anyone commented after me, when I made an observation. I certainly don't mean to be negative and I only jumped in that one time when I felt genuinely sorry for that that the girl. If that's hypocritical sorry. I just didn't like seeing someone being attacked. I didn't even think I'd written enough to be a remembered username.

The point is that you have 40 something posts and maybe 10% of them seem to be accusations based on personal opinion. There's nothing wrong with giving your opinion, but it's unfair to make derogatory and generalized remarks without proof. I'm not saying that I agree with every post that's made on this forum, but that doesn't mean that everyone is working for the PS vendors. Overall, this is still one of the best resources on the web for newbies and hobbyists.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

It is one of the best resources, but it is also a heavily biased resource.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock

Smith1942|1386534869|3570046 said:
When I was buying my stud upgrade from BN, I didn't have images as they were from the Ideal line, not the Signature line. However, the experts here said that the angles all checked out, there was a good HCA score, and they said that minute deviations from the perfect cut, if any, would not result in any difference or loss of sparkle that would be visible to the naked eye. I did buy those studs, and using all my persuasive powers and the evidence of a list of past BN purchases as long as my arm, was able to persuade BN to get GCAL reports on them even though they were not Signature stones.

The GCAL reports showed optimal light performance. I have had similar luck buying stones without images, just using angles and the HCA.

I wonder why I was told that these stones would be absolutely fine to buy without images, and then when it comes to engagement ring stones - with much more money at stake - suddenly images are everything.

It's my opinion that the main use of the images that WF/BGD etc provide is to serve a particular segment of consumers with a particular psychology. You don't need the images to buy beautiful diamonds; I'm proof of that. They are a value-added service for which the consumer pays a huge amount, sometimes well into the four figures compared to a specs-equivalent diamond with no images from a drop-shipper.

As I said, the service that the PS vendors provide has its market, as does the BN model. But I don't buy into the PS-received wisdom that one simply must have those images before a purchase decision is made.

My unpopular viewpoint has served me with stones that are significantly bigger/icier (my preference) than I would have been able to get at a PS vendor for the same money. I wish all newbies were given that chance by receiving a balanced viewpoint of two equally valid business models.

PSers tend to be much more forgiving of pendants and earrings. This is probably due to several reasons. First, most people don't stare closely at pendants/earrings. There also seems to be less of a societal expectation compared to e-rings. An e-ring is a once in a lifetime purchase (usually) and therefore it is logical to assume that more thought would be put into finding it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Smith1942|1386535223|3570053 said:
ETA: I do think the images are more useful for fancy shapes, and have been grateful for them when considering marquises. As I have said, there is room for every business. BN isn't a worse vendor for not having images; they're just different. Lack of images generally means lower prices if you pick wisely, but newbies are never given that counter-balanced view.

Smith1942, I would agree with your comment based on my own personal experience. I also bought my upgrade from BN and I am thoroughly happy with it. Based on my research at the time I purchased my stone, BN gave me the best deal for the specs I required. I do think (for me) that there were pros and cons with going with BN. I had educated myself to a certain degree to try to minimize the variables, and felt confident taking a chance with BN.

1. I used the HCA tool to weed out what would have been likely poorer performers.
2. And I have mind-clean issues, regardless of which vendor I went with. I knew myself well enough that I was inflexible on that point. Thus, I chose a clarity where I did not need someone to examine it for the level of "eye-clealiness".
3. I ordered a fluorescent stone, and knew the potential pros and cons with it.

It is true that seeing the stone (a la GOG) would have made the evaluation of performance easier. Having an ASET image would have as well. However, I was willing to forgo that to get a better price and rely on my own research.

When I received my first stone, I was disappointed. 2 carats, F, VVS2, HCA 0.9, 3X, no fluor. I expected something I would love. I didn't. It was super white, but just didn't speak to me. Didn't love it. Returned it.

Second stone. 2.59 ct, F, VS1, HCA 1.6, medium blue fluor. LOVED it. I took it to two different B&M jewelers who said I chose well.

And I must say their customer service was excellent.

So in the end, certain aspects of buying from BN worked well FOR ME. I would recommend it to people who:
1. Educate themselves to a certain extent. Use the tools available to them. I cannot argue that have comparison videos would help eliminate any uncertainty as to the diamond's performance. But I do think you pay a premium (overall) in the price for that service. And that is totally fine. I'm not saying you shouldn't if it is worth it to you.
2. Are willing to let go and return it if you don't like it. Along with that comes the hassle of returning something very expensive through the mail. That was nerve racking for me, just making sure BN got their diamond back. I knew that when I ordered a fluorescent stone, there might be issues with cloudiness, but I was willing to take that chance.
3. Don't need H&A. I'm not sure how to go about searching through BN's inventory for H&A stones, other than happening on one that is noted as such on the GIA report.
4. Don't need an AGS graded stone.
5. Don't need ASET images, etc.
6. Are buying an MRB, where more of a standard has been established. I would not go through BN if I were to get a fancy cut, not because I don't think they have beautiful fancy cuts. (I'm thinking of an asscher for example.) Fancy cuts can vary excessively and I only try eye to see what is beautiful. Potentially, I would have to send a bunch back and forth to finally get one I like.

Cons (for me):
1. Upgrade policy. You have to pay double what you paid on your original stone. Really?? Well, honestly, I never though DSS would kick in so quickly. OMG. I just have to get off PS. :lol:

I still don't know how my stone would look an ASET image. Maybe it wouldn't be as perfect as a stone that I would have chosen if I went with a vendor that did provide that image. But that is something I can live with. It is beautiful enough to my eye and that is what matters. And truthfully I might not have chosen this stone if GOG had chosen 4 stones for me and made a comparison video. But again, I can live with it. How can you miss what you never had? ;-)

In the end, because BN is a drop shipper, it can offer very competitive prices, and they have a huge inventory to chose from, which can be a pro and a con, depending on whether you want to go through the potential hassle of returning stones that do not meet your expectations. It doesn't mean that that there are not good diamonds to be found.

For a person who just wants the best without having to deal with uncertainty and potential need to return stones that do not meet the criteria, the other well-loved PS vendors would be great. I am certainly hoping to become a customer of Whiteflash, BGD and IDJ in the future as well.

That is my personal BN testimony. ;-) Smith, I am glad to hear that you have always had good experiences with BN.

However, for the record, I haven't always liked the smaller pieces that I have ordered and I have returned them. As for pricing for certain quality on eternity bands and studs, I have had better luck with small B&M vendors, and hopefully very soon I can share about my experience with one of the PS-loved vendors too.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for joining in the discussion, LLJsmom! :wavey: And also for your assessment of BN.

About upgrade policies though, BN may require double the original spend, but so does James Allen ("x2 the original spend" it says on their website) and Brian Gavin's policy is very restrictive. The full policy only applies to Signature diamonds and requires that you upgrade in two of three categories: size, colour and clarity. So if you want to max out on size by dropping in colour and same or lower clarity, for example, hard luck. The inventory would also need to be stocked with what you wanted while also upgrading in two categories. The right diamond might be hard to find under those circumstances. BGD also has a more restrictive policy for the BGD Blue line.

Also, both WF and BGD deduct the original shipping cost from your upgraded diamond - shipping costs that were paid well before the upgrade point, way back when the original diamond was bought! I think that's really odd. BN has no BGD-type requirement beyond the x 2 spend, their upgrade policy is valid on all diamonds not just the top line, and they would never try to get shipping costs back from ages ago.

Additionally, BN's returns policy is 30 days whereas BGD's is only 15, and BN's shipping is free overnight by 10am next day via FedEx even if you're only spending $20. Once, I bought a $40 bracelet and Blue Nile got it to me in 16 hours Seattle to Boston, completely free of charge. These people are just the biz, you know? You have to spend 5k with Brian Gavin to get that, and WF never offers it. James Allen is non-specific, just says shipping is fast and free. So not free overnight by 10am, then. :))

People often say that BN's policies aren't as good as the PS vendors; but in fact, I think they're excellent.

About smaller jewellery pieces, I've returned most of the semi-precious stone jewellery except one precious pair of earrings and a necklace. Mostly, I've been really happy with their diamond preset jewellery - so sparkly - and the plain metal stuff. I'm just not quite so keen on their gemstone pieces.

BTW, in your second para under "Cons" you seem quite resigned to thinking an ASET would show a not-so-great picture, but you don't know - maybe it would show a great picture!

Also, you said you don't know how you'd find an H&A stone - there is a page on that on the BN website. BN says all its Signature diamonds are perfect hearts and arrows. See the discussion earlier in this thread about H&A, but anyway, the Sig line is where to find them.

Lastly, from the final part of your post, it sounds as if you've got an exciting project in the works...... :naughty:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

I wish more regulars would join in with this discussion. I understand that Blue Nile doesn't offer images; however that is only one aspect of diamond-buying today, and BN diamonds are almost treated as untouchables here. I can't ever remember a BN stone being recommended or sanctioned as a choice. Newbies with BN picks are unfailingly steered away. I get that people have their individual vendor preferences, but BN really is persona non grata round these parts - not many regulars are even really joining in with this discussion much - but thanks to all of you who have! You make good points re. familiarity of vendors to the people posting/images/reassurance for an important purchase.

But I still don't really understand about why the coldness towards BN as a potential vendor is so consistent and entrenched. They sell some fab diamonds at great prices, which you'd think newbies ought to know about. The reluctance to have BN stones be part of a discussion on the newbie threads can't be just about images and personal experience. If so, there would be more openness to the idea that BN might have something to offer a newbie, such as a better price - which can be very important to young people starting out. I know they don't sell their diamonds on PS but they do advertise here - and they send door prizes to the GTGs! And the consumer forum is meant to be independent so it shouldn't matter that BN doesn't sell their diamonds here.

Maybe it's because they're a big company and everyone would rather root for David rather than Goliath. But being a big company doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, and in fact I think on balance their policies are quite a bit more flexible than BGD's, for example. (See earlier post in this thread re. policy comparisons between vendors.)

ETA: Having said that about David and Goliath, I want to say that I too can understand wanting to support a smaller business headed by a hardworking individual, or just a business that's independent. I have paid more at E. B. Horn sometimes rather than buying online, because it's a Boston institution and I don't want to lose it.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock

^^ You've asked very clearly without getting anyone offside what I've often wondered!!! :appl:

Just statistically speaking, BN should have quite a lot of consumer posts and they don't.

LetItShine

Shiny_Rock

^^^Very well said again Smith1942. It happens all the time. I have seen several posts of new members seeking input on a Bluenile stone they have selected. Often times it looks like a very beautiful stone, even Signature Ideal, and the poster is immediately steered towards other stones from ps vendors. I don't post much here but occasionally will come to the defense of Bluenile:) It is very obvious that Bluenile is not favored here. Too bad...a lot of missed opportunity

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock

And they currently have 20% off diamond earrings and 15% off signature loose diamonds!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Smith1942|1386593480|3570414 said:
Thanks for joining in the discussion, LLJsmom! :wavey: And also for your assessment of BN.

BTW, in your second para under "Cons" you seem quite resigned to thinking an ASET would show a not-so-great picture, but you don't know - maybe it would show a great picture!

Also, you said you don't know how you'd find an H&A stone - there is a page on that on the BN website. BN says all its Signature diamonds are perfect hearts and arrows. See the discussion earlier in this thread about H&A, but anyway, the Sig line is where to find them.

Lastly, from the final part of your post, it sounds as if you've got an exciting project in the works...... :naughty:

Hi Smith1942. You make some very good points about the upgrade policy. I personally like Whiteflash's. I also noticed at BGD requires 2/3 increases, and James Allen 2x. That is part of the reason I never seriously considered JA. I thought their prices were higher than BN, just based on my searches focused on my criteria. I think the 2x increase would be tolerable for a diamond up to $20K. But for me, going back to them may be prohibitive, given that an upgrade diamond I would be searching for would be over $80K. Not that I mind having an $80K rock, but my wallet doesn't necessarily agree. ;-)

And as for being resigned to a not so great ASET, I was addressing the worst case scenario for people considering BN. I go into any situation trying to be fully educated and aware of all the pros and cons. Of course it may be an awesome ASET. Yay for me!! :) I was trying to be completely thorough as people usually think about the cons when deciding against. I consider my reaction to the worst case scenario and if I can live with it, the pros will push me over. I like the fact that they have so many stones from all over the world. I don't know how the decide what they will put in their inventory, but my guess is that they don't examine pictures. They probably send it to GIA for a grade, and then just decide. I wonder how they price their stones. The smaller shops examine in house a lot of their signature stones, and price accordingly. My gut tells me that BN only does that for their signature line. Hmmm.... Just a thought...

That is why with enough leg work, you could probably find a real gem. But I just don't seeing hurried "about to propose" guys spending hundreds of hours, putting measurements through an HCA, maybe the AGA cut class grader, weighing the pros and cons of different kinds of inclusions, figuring out the risk and potential effect of each, etc, etc, willing to do all that work. It's much easier and faster to have a lot of that done for you, if you know what I mean. I would think that real pros of PS would love to cull the stock at BN and find the great performers, and get a good price for their efforts. But that is just me. And, if you're in the market for an SI eye-clean stone, that is a tough one to overcome without being able to see the stone or talk to someone who will tell you it is eye clean. You have to be ready to send that sucker back. For me, no prob. I needed VS1, my mental issues. ;-)

YOu would be proud of me. I just told a guy in another thread why I would chose the BN option. ;-)

However, I'm not sure how many newbies are like me, do tons of due diligence, weigh pros and cons of eveything, review multiple stones from multiple vendors, and are willing to risk getting something they don't love. I know that even with a low HCA, it may not be the stone you want. I had criteria that I was not willing to compromise, and a budget I could not stray from. Based on my searches, BN was the only vendor that let me accomplish that. I think that was largely due to their huge inventory. :) Anyway, what would I know? With an unlimited budget I would go with either Canera or GOG. In my case, I was trying to maximize the diamond for my money. :)

It's all good. It's a long explanation to newbies why BN could be a way to go. For me it was just logical. But people have to think for themselves too. And when they don't, it's just easier to tell them to get a video by GOG, or an ACA by Whiteflash, or BGD. I'm done finding mine, and I'm lazy. :rodent:

smilligan

Shiny_Rock

LLJsmom|1386648872|3571120 said:

Hi Smith1942. You make some very good points about the upgrade policy. I personally like Whiteflash's. I also noticed at BGD requires 2/3 increases, and James Allen 2x. That is part of the reason I never seriously considered JA. I thought their prices were higher than BN, just based on my searches focused on my criteria. I think the 2x increase would be tolerable for a diamond up to $20K. But for me, going back to them may be prohibitive, given that an upgrade diamond I would be searching for would be over $80K. Not that I mind having an $80K rock, but my wallet doesn't necessarily agree. ;-)

And as for being resigned to a not so great ASET, I was addressing the worst case scenario for people considering BN. I go into any situation trying to be fully educated and aware of all the pros and cons. Of course it may be an awesome ASET. Yay for me!! :) I was trying to be completely thorough as people usually think about the cons when deciding against. I consider my reaction to the worst case scenario and if I can live with it, the pros will push me over. I like the fact that they have so many stones from all over the world. I don't know how the decide what they will put in their inventory, but my guess is that they don't examine pictures. They probably send it to GIA for a grade, and then just decide. I wonder how they price their stones. The smaller shops examine in house a lot of their signature stones, and price accordingly. My gut tells me that BN only does that for their signature line. Hmmm.... Just a thought...

That is why with enough leg work, you could probably find a real gem. But I just don't seeing hurried "about to propose" guys spending hundreds of hours, putting measurements through an HCA, maybe the AGA cut class grader, weighing the pros and cons of different kinds of inclusions, figuring out the risk and potential effect of each, etc, etc, willing to do all that work. It's much easier and faster to have a lot of that done for you, if you know what I mean. I would think that real pros of PS would love to cull the stock at BN and find the great performers, and get a good price for their efforts. But that is just me. And, if you're in the market for an SI eye-clean stone, that is a tough one to overcome without being able to see the stone or talk to someone who will tell you it is eye clean. You have to be ready to send that sucker back. For me, no prob. I needed VS1, my mental issues. ;-)

YOu would be proud of me. I just told a guy in another thread why I would chose the BN option. ;-)

However, I'm not sure how many newbies are like me, do tons of due diligence, weigh pros and cons of eveything, review multiple stones from multiple vendors, and are willing to risk getting something they don't love. I know that even with a low HCA, it may not be the stone you want. I had criteria that I was not willing to compromise, and a budget I could not stray from. Based on my searches, BN was the only vendor that let me accomplish that. I think that was largely due to their huge inventory. :) Anyway, what would I know? With an unlimited budget I would go with either Canera or GOG. In my case, I was trying to maximize the diamond for my money. :)

It's all good. It's a long explanation to newbies why BN could be a way to go. For me it was just logical. But people have to think for themselves too. And when they don't, it's just easier to tell them to get a video by GOG, or an ACA by Whiteflash, or BGD. I'm done finding mine, and I'm lazy. :rodent:

The two bolded statements pretty much sum up why BN isn't usually recommended, IMO. Most of the newbies that come here have absolutely NO experience with diamonds and just want to get a good ring without getting screwed over. Even when they are given information, it takes time to read/absorb it. Unfortunately, most people come here with pretty short deadlines. While it's true that the veteran PSers could probably sift through the BN database and pick out several probable goodies, there is no guarantee. And most people don't want to deal with returning a diamond, especially for an e-ring. It's just so much easier to look at pictures, videos, ASET, etc. Furthermore, most people that come here have a similar budget (I'd say between 2-10k average) and in that price range, BN really doesn't offer much of a discount over some of the other vendors. At least, not that I've seen. I'm sure that deals can be found with some legwork, but again, that takes time. To be fair, I've seen BN recommended for jewelry other than e-rings, so I don't think that there exists some deep seated loathing for them.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

smilligan|1386654381|3571177 said:
LLJsmom|1386648872|3571120 said:

The two bolded statements pretty much sum up why BN isn't usually recommended, IMO. Most of the newbies that come here have absolutely NO experience with diamonds and just want to get a good ring without getting screwed over. Even when they are given information, it takes time to read/absorb it. Unfortunately, most people come here with pretty short deadlines. While it's true that the veteran PSers could probably sift through the BN database and pick out several probable goodies, there is no guarantee. And most people don't want to deal with returning a diamond, especially for an e-ring. It's just so much easier to look at pictures, videos, ASET, etc. Furthermore, most people that come here have a similar budget (I'd say between 2-10k average) and in that price range, BN really doesn't offer much of a discount over some of the other vendors. At least, not that I've seen. I'm sure that deals can be found with some legwork, but again, that takes time. To be fair, I've seen BN recommended for jewelry other than e-rings, so I don't think that there exists some deep seated loathing for them.

LLJsmom - ha ha! you would be proud of me also - in the thread on this page about BN and 15% off, I have recommended at the end all the Ps vendors and said they can supply images which BN can't!

Smilligan - very interesting points. It's true that you probably need some practice to pick out the good ones in the BN database. I can do it, but then I'm not a newbie. Yes, you do need to do the legwork. BN has a wire discount which is listed in the details for each diamond, but it doesn't have a PS discount. Drop shippers tend to be priced lower than companies which own the stones and have them in-house anyway. Obviously, this doesn't apply to the BN Signature line which isn't part of the drop-ship set up - they're inhouse at BN, cut for them the way that the BGD and ACA lines are in-house and are cut on behalf that specific company. It does take time to sift through the BN database to get a real cracker - by which I mean a diamond with a very promising cut at a great price. The database contains plenty of overpriced duds. But if you look at the Everything Else choice at BGD, some of those are awful, too. But they are not in-house - they are a virtual inventory.

I guess having all the images and photos on the top lines does offer complete reassurance.Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, if BN wanted to compete with the likes of BGD/WF, they could always dump the GCAL certs on the Sig diamonds and offer ASETs and Idealscopes - just of their Signature line, I mean. Impossible to do ,of course, for the many thousands of other diamonds in their database located all over the world.

Regarding BN's other jewellery pieces, there is an incredible range of design and prices. Everything from $30 up to six figures. I'm not so keen on their gemstone stuff, but they have some lovely plain metal pieces. The main joy of their pieces, however, is the diamond jewellery. The melee they use is top-notch. I had some diamond drop earrings with 2 x 0.20 drops, and I would have bet money that they were BGD Sig stones. The gemstone stuff isn't great, and a lot of their jewellery is overpriced (I always, always wait for sales and then offers where you get a percentage off the sale price) but one area where they do not skimp is the quality of the diamond melee.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

bliss_cathy|1386627466|3570877 said:
And they currently have 20% off diamond earrings and 15% off signature loose diamonds!

Yes, and so far I've managed to resist!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

LetItShine|1386627074|3570872 said:
^^^Very well said again Smith1942. It happens all the time. I have seen several posts of new members seeking input on a Bluenile stone they have selected. Often times it looks like a very beautiful stone, even Signature Ideal, and the poster is immediately steered towards other stones from ps vendors. I don't post much here but occasionally will come to the defense of Bluenile:) It is very obvious that Bluenile is not favored here. Too bad...a lot of missed opportunity

Yes, I've felt a bit sorry for BN because they do have some nice diamonds at good prices.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results