shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue zircon vs. blue topaz?

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Other than blue zircon generally tending to have more of a greenish tint, is there any difference in brightness or brilliance, considering each gem is properly cut?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zircon is sparklier, but softer and doubly refractive.

Topaz is easier to source / replace, less expensive, and a bit more durable.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As above, blue topaz is invariably heated and can be found in a few different shades “London Blue”, “Sky Blue” etc and can be really cheap. Also a more pure blue.
Quality Topaz cut by an Artisan can be spectacular, the stuff on eBay -ugh.
Blue Zircon is a more interesting gem with higher refractive index than diamond so very sparkly also often heated treated but a nicer gem in my opinion.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Seems that Bespoke Gems has cut some pretty nice topaz in the past. Are there others I should look into for both topaz and zircon?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I'm going to put this comment in this thread as I just was considering buying this stone myself. On Loupe troop there is a 7 mm blue zircon for sale $55.00. shipping and handling included. I inquired and there is no window. Nice color--good price.

Annette

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
I'll be looking for an oval in the 10x8 to 12x10 range.

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
I'm guessing this is for someone with a December birthday.. ;-) December baby here myself. I like zircon better as well, for its refractive index; imo it looks more like an "expensive" jewel than topaz, though in my experience there is a larger range of color in topaz, so if the person is more of a "slate blue" or "navy blue" person, topaz may be the way to go.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
I'm guessing this is for someone with a December birthday.. ;-) December baby here myself. I like zircon better as well, for its refractive index; imo it looks more like an "expensive" jewel than topaz, though in my experience there is a larger range of color in topaz, so if the person is more of a "slate blue" or "navy blue" person, topaz may be the way to go.
No, this is for just an everyday wear ring for myself. My birthstone for October is either opal or tourmaline, neither of which excite me. And blue is simply my favorite color. A blue zircon would probably perfectly match the colorof my eyes, but a Swiss blue topaz catches my liking too.
So many choices....too little money.

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
How ironic! Opal and tourmaline are 2 of my favorite stones. Maybe we should switch birthdays :)

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
How ironic! Opal and tourmaline are 2 of my favorite stones. Maybe we should switch birthdays :)
Oh, I love me some paraiba tourmaline, but I'll likely never have the funds for that. sad :((

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
After doing some research, I'm a little concerned about the durability of a zircon for everyday wear in a ring. I intend to have my stone put in a setting like the one shown in this picture. A zircon is probably not a good idea for me, then, is it? il_570xN_1267019116_jc72.jpg

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here’s a quick pic of my of my zircon on the left and electric blue topaz on the right. My iPhone is throwing the colors of a bit, but you can still get the idea of how they look different next to each other.
A2DE5641-6615-49B8-9594-3CA63099C840.jpeg
Zircon is softer than sapphire or spinel, but any stone will risk damage with wear. You seem to keep going back to Zircon, my thinking is buy what you will love to wear.
This stone would be a great size and shape in your ring if you do end up going with zircon. It looks like a oval/cushion mix. I do believe Jeff offers a discount to Pricescoper’s if you ask.
https://jefferydavies.com/gemstones/zircon/dd84-zircon-5-16ct/
8A08301F-8721-4593-9166-F0879DDE7038.jpeg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely Love blue zircon, I have a few myself. But, I would not wear them for everyday though. You can look up any gem for the Mohs hardness scale. The higher the number, the harder/more durable the stone. Diamond is a 10. I believe topaz is 8, zircon 7. That's not "only one level" It's a big difference.
For a man's daily wear ring, I'd get topaz. And I agree with you on the swiss topaz. There's even a more striking "electric" blue topaz.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
2Neezers & Christy-Danielle, thank you both so much.
2Neezers, that's a beautiful stone from Jeff Davies that you linked there....and pretty much the right size for what I'll need. However, it's certainly more than I want to spend, so that may well help me make a decision. I'm thinking more along the lines of $500 max. for my stone, so unless Jeff offers one heck of a discount, that's probably out of my budget right now.

Christy, thanks for explaining to me that a 1-point difference in Moh's hardness is a BIG difference, nother just a little bit.

This forum has the nicest and most helpful folks who participate - I like it here.

Now off to check out that topaz that 2Neezers linked!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For an every day ring I would go with the topaz as it's much easier to replace the stone from wear. Topazes are much cheaper and easier to come by. That said, I got rid of all my topazes and replaced them with blue zircons because I like them so much better and they are not found at "mall" stores.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
For an every day ring I would go with the topaz as it's much easier to replace the stone from wear. Topazes are much cheaper and easier to come by. That said, I got rid of all my topazes and replaced them with blue zircons because I like them so much better and they are not found at "mall" stores.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I mean, if I were to buy and $800 blue zircon in an odd size, have a ring designed around it, and later completely shattered the stone, that could be an expensive endeavor as I would pretty much have to start completely over.
Even though blue topaz doesn't command the same respect from gemstone lovers as Zircon does, I really believe it's probably my best bet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It probably won’t shatter but the facet junctions will show a lot of wear and tear (abrasion).

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Here's a couple close ups if the zircon facet abrasion. The first pic is from a ring that was nearly 100years old. I have since had that zircon polished. The other is from a zircon ring I just bought. Slight abrasion doesn't detract too much from the stone, but frequent wear zircon won't stay pristine.
I also prefer zircon because it is a far livelier stone than topaz. I only recommended topaz to you as there is less worry. There are some gem pros who can polish facets of a mounted stone, but it might mean shipping your ring off every once in a blue moon.
20181216_111522.jpg

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
I'm just going to go with topaz, I believe.
Then start saving for a nice sapphire for a future mounting. :D

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I'm just going to go with topaz, I believe.
Then start saving for a nice sapphire for a future mounting. :D

To wit, I would say, have you ever seen blue (earth mined) spinel? Mohs 8 and more sparkle than sapphire, cheaper too. Actually spinel comes in almost any color! My 2nd favorite gem after zircon.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
No, I haven't seen a blue spinel. Let me go track one down and take a look.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s going to be expensive and difficult to find in a pure blue spinel of that size.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
It’s going to be expensive and difficult to find in a pure blue spinel of that size.
So I'm discovering! Even the lab-created spinels that size are expensive. A 9x11 oval blue spinel from Africagems is over $600!
Speaking of lab-grown, what's the consensus on those? Are they pretty? Are they as brilliant as the real thing?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Extremely gorgeous! But I’m not into synthetics for mind clean reasons.

Just FYI, board rules prevents us from discussing synthetics.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the Fabulous Fashion Jewelry forum is a great place for those questions.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I just mentioned spinel to you because you said you might save up for a sapphire someday.... wanted to make sure you know there's another option. :bigsmile:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you planning to wear the ring every day?

I ask because my zircons are pristine (even under a loupe) as I only wear them out to show off and then take them right off.

Have they gone up in price? I remember both of mine being fairly inexpensive as far as gems go.

This is one from Jeff Davies. He made the ring too!

20180806_111456.jpg

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Are you planning to wear the ring every day?

I ask because my zircons are pristine (even under a loupe) as I only wear them out to show off and then take them right off.

Have they gone up in price? I remember both of mine being fairly inexpensive as far as gems go.

This is one from Jeff Davies. He made the ring too!
I plan to wear this ring every single day, only taking it off when I'm doing construction or mechanic work.
"Inexpensive" to you may be cost-prohibitive to me.
That's a beautiful stone, though - a blue zircon ?

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
I just mentioned spinel to you because you said you might save up for a sapphire someday.... wanted to make sure you know there's another option. :bigsmile:
I appreciate that. The (not-to-be-spoken-of-variety) spinel is now tops on my list, IF I can find the shade of blue that suits me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results