shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Zircon Question

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought an inexpensive pre-loved blue zircon and am enthralled with it. Its like the blue sapphire I will never be able to afford.

But I've never seen one this shade of blue before (almost like a perfect blue sapphire as opposed to the lighter blues I am used to seeing). Like most zircons, it has the flash and dispersion of a diamond (picture does not pick this up or do the stone justice). It does have flashes of green in direct sunlight.

I am torn between putting it in a nicer setting or just leaving it because I have no idea if its a good zircon or not. The seller dropped the price because although it was sold to her as a zircon (not zirconia) by a reputable seller, we weren't sure because we couldn't find others like it on-line. Does this color exist and if so, is there a reason the lighter blue seems to be the preferred? The color is killer imo.

bluezirconring__2_.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfotunately I cannot help you with your question. I have not seen this color before either. But hopefully the more experienced PSers will chime in soon. Just wanted to say that I love love love the color. :love:

Do you have the chance to bring it to an appraiser?

To me the color justifies a stunning setting as long as you love it and if it's not synthetic.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Acinom...means a lot given your eye for color. An appraisal would cost more than I paid for the stone. Although the seller was confident that she was sold a zircon and knew the difference, she didn't have a certificate. I bought it thinking it might end up being a CZ. But it does have flashes of green outdoors and doesn't look like the blue CZs I've seen, so I am now thinking it might really be a zircon (if they exist in this color).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I Googled "Blue Zircon" and some of the images returned are as dark as the pic in the first post, however, they are not as common as the lighter coloured ones.

Personally, I believe the stone justifies a nicer setting as it does resemble a nice sapphire to me.

DK :))

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some can be that dark blue, but, to err on the side of caution, it may be worth getting it looked at as a JIC depending on how much you paid.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
This stone has not the typical color ( never seen this color before) of a blue zirkon - they are always heated from brown zirkon ( without oxigene).

Do you see a doubling of the pavillion facets? If not it could be CZ or YAG?? Both are cubic so no doubling.

CZ has a higher density so the diameter compared with the weight could help to seperate from YAG.

Edit after reading some of your posts....

The color would be sensational - so def. not a cheap stone...

If I zoom the pic on my ipad I see green, purple and blue??? Purple in a blue zircon???

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks...since I paid so little for it, its not worth appraising. I am going to assume CZ too. I have no idea what doubling of the pavilion facets means and excuse my ignorance, what YAG is :lol:

As mentioned, I had my doubts so the seller kindly dropped her price accordingly so it was still a decent buy. I'll just wear it for fun since it is a gorgeous looking stone.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Regardless of what it is, it's very pretty!!

fauxpaux

Rough_Rock
specific gravity(SG) test can ID this stone and cast away any doubt.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the kind words and guidance. I didn't do this but based on the size/weight proportion, I am now pretty sure it is a CZ. Fortunately, I questioned what it was before buying (and while the seller was sure it was sold to her as a zircon, she began to question). So I didn't spend much at all. But it was stunning so began to wonder if I was wrong. Anyway, its cheaper than most costume jewelery so will be a fun wear.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
With a little practice, you can test for single versus double refraction at home, with nothing but bright sunlight and an opaque white index card. You position the gem and card so that colored reflections from the gem fall on the card, and look for pairs of refections that stay together when you move. That indicates double refraction. If the gem is singly refractive, there will be no pairs, only single lines or shapes that move independently. I learned how to do it from this webpage: http://www.gemstones.net.au/en-us/physical/refraction.aspx Zircon is doubly refractive, and cubic zirconia is singly refractive.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks urseberry - I will need to remember to try that (perhaps with an unset zircon, which I presume is real haha, I have).

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
urseberry|1428279058|3857350 said:
With a little practice, you can test for single versus double refraction at home, with nothing but bright sunlight and an opaque white index card. You position the gem and card so that colored reflections from the gem fall on the card, and look for pairs of refections that stay together when you move. That indicates double refraction. If the gem is singly refractive, there will be no pairs, only single lines or shapes that move independently. I learned how to do it from this webpage: http://www.gemstones.net.au/en-us/physical/refraction.aspx Zircon is doubly refractive, and cubic zirconia is singly refractive.

In Zircon( or sphene etc.) you need only a loupe - the double refraction is so strong so you will see a doubling of the pavillion facets.

Every gem collector should have a polariscope and a dichroscope - easy to use, quite cheap and they make no mistake.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah well... It was still a nice deal as the color is very very prety. Enjoy wearing it!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1428302601|3857440 said:
Every gem collector should have a polariscope and a dichroscope - easy to use, quite cheap and they make no mistake.

Marlow,

Which ones would you recommend please?

I do not wish to fork out huge sums, and am hoping to be able to find some affordable ones when I visit HK's trade show later this year in Nov 2015.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I will post some links....

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1428321961|3857468 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polariscope-for-gemstones-test-Brand-New-2-Year-Warranty-/251893371162

Cheap but will work..

Thanks for the link, and I shall look for something similar locally.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
google: polariscope gem

Which country you need?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results