shape
carat
color
clarity

blue sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mom2SF

Rough_Rock
I have been lurking forever and finally registered because I am officially engaged! I will be getting a blue sapphire e-ring and we are now looking for the perfect stone. Two local jewelers have so far come up short (too dark) (although both are working getting more for us to look at) so we are open to sourcing a stone online. Here''s what we are looking for:

* cushion cut (more square than rectangular) preferable; round is 2nd choice
* soft blue to light cornflower blue (consistent color, can hint grey or green...but not violet)
* eye clean
* 1.5 - 2 carats
* < $750
* heated okay!

This one is a real possibility (the vendor said it''s a great stone!) but I''d still like to see if we can find a cushion-cut!

http://www.gemselect.com/sapphire/sapphire-238483.php

Thank you for your help!
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the engagement and I hope you have fun in the search for the perfect sapphire!

Simplysapphires.com has cushions in that price range
http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/blue2.html

And there's this one from Gemrite, which has zoning and isn't perfect, but I personally find quite pretty. Though judging on your other photo, might be darker than what you're looking for.
http://gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=244

Anyways, there's a good list of vendors stickied here, so maybe just take some time and see what's out there? I think for an engagement ring I would want the best I could get with the budget.

I'm not positive, but the photo from gem select looks tweaked to me?

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/24/2009 6:53:24 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Congrats on the engagement and I hope you have fun in the search for the perfect sapphire!

Simplysapphires.com has cushions in that price range
http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/blue2.html

And there''s this one from Gemrite, which has zoning and isn''t perfect, but I personally find quite pretty. Though judging on your other photo, might be darker than what you''re looking for.
http://gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=244

Anyways, there''s a good list of vendors stickied here, so maybe just take some time and see what''s out there? I think for an engagement ring I would want the best I could get with the budget.

I''m not positive, but the photo from gem select looks tweaked to me?
How can you tell that photo has been tweaked?

Mom2SF

Rough_Rock
I have looked at dozens of vendor websites (the ones I could find on my own) but none feels like "the one"... But I honestly didn't realize that SimplySapphires has 3 pages of "blues" so it was good to go back to that site even though again I didn't find anything that jumped out at me.

Any idea what WhitesGems charges for cutting, approximately? I love this color:

http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/SAP007.htm

And this shape and cut:

http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/SAP008.htm

And I definitely am trying to find something spectactular/superior quality since it will be my e-ring! I want the WOW factor!!
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 10:54:40 AM
Author: Mom2SF
I have looked at dozens of vendor websites (the ones I could find on my own) but none feels like 'the one'... But I honestly didn't realize that SimplySapphires has 3 pages of 'blues' so it was good to go back to that site even though again I didn't find anything that jumped out at me.

Any idea what WhitesGems charges for cutting, approximately? I love this color:

http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/SAP007.htm

And this shape and cut:

http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/SAP008.htm

And I definitely am trying to find something spectactular/superior quality since it will be my e-ring! I want the WOW factor!!
1.gif

Hi there,

just fyi, those two Jeff White sapphires you linked are really quite different on the spectrum of intensity/tone of blues available - so even if we knew prices, they could be quite widely varied.

If you check out the recent threads here, both I and Spirit have obtained new JW sapphires - I can say my one is one or two levels lighter than the cushion you linked, but not as light as the asscher.
If you prefer the first one you linked to (the asscher), that *should* be cheaper on average than something in the deeper/richer blue of the cushion.

You may find this chart and info helpful/interesting: link to Cross site
Even though the names used are quite daggy, it does come in handy to make sure you and the vendor are on the "same page" as far as which blue you would like.

Jeff's cutting (having just gone through the experience), is imho well worth the expense.
Seeing, as you will find in both mine and Spirit's case, we got *exactly* what we wanted as far as size, colour and cutting.

Best thing to do is just email Jeff and see what he has on hand - he is a very kind and helpful man
5.gif

I may be biased, but I believe both our sapphires how the "Wow factor" !
5.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I have to echo that Jeff White is wonderful to work with. We purchased the sapphire for my engagement ring from him just a few months ago. He was great to work with. I sent him a preliminary e-mail, because it didn''t know how busy he was. He got back to me very quickly. I ended up sending him a collage of the color range I was interested in, and an approximate budget, just to see if he had anything available- and ta da! Luckily he had material that was perfect!

I was nervous at first because people had said ''oh I don''t know if I can afford his cutting'' but in reality I''m thinking I don''t know how I could not have gone with his cutting. It is superb. I know my sapph has an amazing wow factor- great color and sparkle like nothing I''ve seen before. and Arjunajane, I would have to agree, both yours and Spirit''s sapphires are AMAZING!!
30.gif

Good luck in your search!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second (or third) the suggestion about contacting Jeff about getting what you want. It''s going to be easier for you to deal with him since both example stones are cut by him.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 7:00:17 AM
Author: kas baby
I was nervous at first because people had said ''oh I don''t know if I can afford his cutting'' but in reality I''m thinking I don''t know how I could not have gone with his cutting. It is superb. I know my sapph has an amazing wow factor- great color and sparkle like nothing I''ve seen before. and Arjunajane, I would have to agree, both yours and Spirit''s sapphires are AMAZING!!
30.gif

Hi Kas,
You have summed up my feelings perfectly; I was the same - up until my sapphire search, I never contacted Jeff as I was convinced I wouldn''t be able to afford his work.
Admittedly, he may be a bit more exxy on average than your Barry or Peter T (for example), but I personally was happy with my cost (and pleasantly surprised I could afford his work after all).
5.gif

Also, now having gone through the process and seen the end result (albeit only in pics so far), I can''t imagine using anyone else.

Thankyou for your kind comment, and I must say I did not know until now you have one of these blue babies of your own - I just went and hunted down your thread, and your stone is gorgeous.
Can you pls tell me did you ever post photos of it set? I couldn''t seem to find any..

Okay, sorry my threadjack is over OP!
1.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
arjunajane, thank you for the compliments on the sapph
9.gif

unfortunately, it is still sitting on its box. I probably won''t be getting it set for a while now- hopefully by February though. I still enjoy taking it out every once in a while to play with it, but it will be such a great feeling to finally have it set. Unfortunately its taking so long because every time we almost have enough to pay upfront and in full, something happens, like car problems, one of my grants being taken away, not having a job, and just this past weekend we almost had to buy a new computer, etc. It''s been really sad
39.gif

*sigh* one day....

Mom2SF

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I sent and email to Jeff White today so we''ll see how that goes.

I am open to buying a loose stone online but a light blue square cushion is very difficult to find! My FH is ready to buy my ring but I keep telling him we need to find the "perfect" stone. I hope I don''t have to compromise. We are getting married in July so I was hoping to have something on my finger by Christmas.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
time crunch. ouch. In our case, FI and I knew it might take a really long time for my picky self to be happy with a gem, so he proposed with my wedding band (nine bezel set blue sapphs) even though we knew we''d have a ridiculously long engagement- but he wanted me to have a ring!
31.gif
gotta love a man like that

It may take a while, but then again, the timing may be perfect and you''ll have your ring by Christmas!

I''ve got my fingers crossed that Jeff has something amazing up his sleeve for you
12.gif

Mom2SF

Rough_Rock
We found our sapphire for my e-ring (which will be set in white gold with tappered baguettes or bullets, or maybe small trillions...TBD)!

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5191

I am so excited to see it in person--hopefully it''ll arrive very soon. Dana from MCG says "it is a pastel ice blue; VVs clean and very brilliant", "saturated color", "no zoning".

I have a citrine cut just like this and it''s my favorite ring that I wear all the time--I never thought I''d find an icy blue sapphire in this cut but when I saw the photo I nearly jumped up and down!
1.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
congrats! it looks lovely- can''t wait to see your irl pics of it... and to hear how you decide to set it
30.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 12:18:24 PM
arjunajane, thank you for the compliments on the sapph
9.gif

unfortunately, it is still sitting on its box. I probably won''t be getting it set for a while now- hopefully by February though. I still enjoy taking it out every once in a while to play with it, but it will be such a great feeling to finally have it set. Unfortunately its taking so long because every time we almost have enough to pay upfront and in full, something happens, like car problems, one of my grants being taken away, not having a job, and just this past weekend we almost had to buy a new computer, etc. It''s been really sad
39.gif

*sigh* one day....

hi kas,
my apologies, I was convinced I''d replied to this already..
33.gif

Ah, I''m sorry to hear about your setting woes.
I can relate to many of the setbacks you''ve listed - I also have had car expenses and computer problems in the last 2 weeks..
15.gif
Fortunately, I had paid my setting upfront whilst the exchange rate was high, or it may have been set back too..
40.gif

Ah well, at least you will know that when the time does arrive, it will absolutely be *the* right setting as you''ve had some time to think about it
5.gif

keep us updated!
35.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 11:47:25 PM
congrats! it looks lovely- can''t wait to see your irl pics of it... and to hear how you decide to set it
30.gif

ditto! congrats on the sapphire purchase and looking forward to seeing how you go with the setting.
1.gif

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations, I hope your stone is everything you wanted and more!

Laura

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on finding your stone! That''s one that I have long admired and thought about myself, and I''m sure it will receive a great home from you. Please post pictures of it when you get it, as well as once it''s set. Looking forward to hearing your progress!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations. Looks like you got a well priced stone within budget, unheated, well cut and in the shade of blue you are looking for. And all in time for setting before Xmas!

Mom2SF

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to update you all that we received this sapphire from MCG about 2 weeks ago and it's BEAUTIFUL! It actually looks like a aquamarine, which I love, it's a crystal clear pale blue stone--like ice with a kiss of blue. It's still posted as sold:

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5191

The stone will be set in white gold with trap step cut side stones--this was our inspiration ring that we shared with our jeweler. For the bottom stone we're either going to do baguettes (likely) or possibly round (tbd). The jeweler is currently working on getting the side stones for us to look at.

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=459

I will post photos when the ring is complete which won't be until January. In the meantime, I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! Look forward to photos!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t wait to see the finished ring
36.gif

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so glad you love the stone! I look forward to seeing pictures of the finished project. You didn''t happen to snap any pictures of the stone before it went to the jeweler, did you?
31.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! Can't wait to see pics.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on finding something that you love. I hope you''ll come back with pictures of the completed ring.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2009 8:23:43 AM
Author: Chrono
Congrats on finding something that you love. I hope you''ll come back with pictures of the completed ring.
I agree.... look forward to seeing pics!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results