shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Sapphire Stone

D5grvty

Rough_Rock
Hello PSers! Since my padparadscha sapphire turned out to be heat-treated in the GIA report, I started from scratch again and found a nice blue sapphire from a reputable site. I wanted to beg for your advice again since you guys were so intuitive and helpful with my last gem. The GIA report did indicate this is a natural, unheated sapphire, and it's being sold for $7000. What do you guys think? Is this finally the one??

Carat: 2.10
Shape: Oval
Measures: 7.22x6.41x5.56 (millimeter)
Color Grade: Excellent
Tone: MD75
Color Zoning: Faint
Clarity: Lightly Included
Cutting Grade: Very Good
Brilliancy: 75%
Depth: 77%
Origin: Sri Lanka

_33434.jpg

_33435.jpg

_33436.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it eye clean?
Proof of untreated status from a reputable lab?
It is a bit deep at 77%.
How is the indoor colour shift?

S

SparkliesLuver

Does it speak to you? What exactly are you looking for - does it check all of your boxes? Does the faint zoning bother you? I'd definitely ask for several more pictures in various lighting conditions.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
D5grvty|1439993574|3916366 said:
Hello PSers! Since my padparadscha sapphire turned out to be heat-treated in the GIA report, I started from scratch again and found a nice blue sapphire from a reputable site. I wanted to beg for your advice again since you guys were so intuitive and helpful with my last gem. The GIA report did indicate this is a natural, unheated sapphire, and it's being sold for $7000. What do you guys think? Is this finally the one??

Carat: 2.10
Shape: Oval
Measures: 7.22x6.41x5.56 (millimeter)
Color Grade: Excellent
Tone: MD75
Color Zoning: Faint
Clarity: Lightly Included
Cutting Grade: Very Good
Brilliancy: 75%
Depth: 77%
Origin: Sri Lanka

Wanted to mention (for those that missed it) that your original was from Natural Sapphire Company, originally advertised as untreated. Now you get why we're not thrilled with them . . . At least it's now listed on their website as heated. I don't think the price went down any, though, did it?

I like your new sapphire. The cut isn't the greatest, but if you like it, it's a decent color.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You do see that the color is concentrated in the center of the stone, right? It does appear to have some zoning. That combined with the concentration of color in the depth of the pavilion give it a sort of spotted look to my eye - perhaps I'm not seeing it correctly, but that is what I see.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
..."What do you guys think? Is this finally the one??"

Maybe I am just out of touch with "young people nowadays" :wink2: , but I don't understand posting a few photos and then asking strangers how to spend your money. Yours is a question I would not presume to answer.

Your call:
1. Does the price seem similar to what you have seen elsewhere? (Assuming you have done your research, you have, right?)
2. Does the vendor have a good return policy?
3. If yes and yes, see it in person and see if it 'speaks' to you, as wisely mentioned above.

But son, at the end of the day, only you will know if it is "the one", just like you knew when you found your fiancee...

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
PieAreSquared|1440216576|3917580 said:

Maybe I am just out of touch with "young people nowadays" :wink2: , but I don't understand posting a few photos and then asking strangers how to spend your money. Yours is a question I would not presume to answer.

Your call:
1. Does the price seem similar to what you have seen elsewhere? (Assuming you have done your research, you have, right?)
3. If yes and yes, see it in person and see if it 'speaks' to you, as wisely mentioned above.

But son, at the end of the day, only you will know if it is "the one", just like you knew when you found your fiancee...

1++!!

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Wow...posts like these make me glad I have never asked advice on a coloured stone.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
PieAreSquared said:

Your call:

I think you are mostly out of touch with the point of this forum. That is exactly what we do here; we tell people how to spend their money, based on a few photos. Of course, it's ultimately their decision, but if they didn't want our help, they wouldn't ask.

If you go through a few topics, you'll notice that the vast majority of people that come here ask for advice about the quality of a stone. Then we answer them. They are (obviously) always free to ignore our advice.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1440250468|3917693 said:
PieAreSquared said:

Your call:

I think you are mostly out of touch with the point of this forum. That is exactly what we do here; we tell people how to spend their money, based on a few photos. Of course, it's ultimately their decision, but if they didn't want our help, they wouldn't ask.

If you go through a few topics, you'll notice that the vast majority of people that come here ask for advice about the quality of a stone. Then we answer them. They are (obviously) always free to ignore our advice.

Haha. ::)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GlamMosher|1440237089|3917639 said:
Wow...posts like these make me glad I have never asked advice on a coloured stone.

+1! I've always found everyone here extremely helpful when I've asked this exact question. I think that is the strength of this forum--that people who are less experienced can ask advice from more "seasoned" stone buyers (and just get opinions in general).

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
I think you're in the LA area? Have you checked out Gemfix (they're out of San Diego)? Just wanted to toss that out as another option. Here's one on their site that I thought might be promising (1161). It's untreated (per AGL), 3.11 cts, and measures 9.1x7.8x5.7mm.

_33507.jpg

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock

You have restored my faith! I don't know anything about coloured stones, but I love looking at the posts asking for advice.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
The color zoning in this stone would make me crazy. It's clearly visible in the middle picture.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PieAreSquared said:

Your call:

As usual, well said, iLander. :))

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
"We tell people how to spend their money based on a few photos"

Ok - I would never pay 7000 $ for a 2,10 ct sapphire with an uneven color distribution and a native cut like this one....

1400-1500 (total price ) maybe course unheated but only with an AGL or Lotus report.

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
Agree with Marlow. I've been shopping sapphires myself and that stone just seems way overpriced.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eh, the Wildfish stone is not my cup of tea, and especially not my $7k cup of tea.

I prefer these ones from Finewater (which are priced more reasonably AND have a report from a reputable lab, AGL). I would ask for additional photos, including handshots in different lighting, and a video if possible.

2.05 ct Untreated Blue Sapphire
990847.jpg
This is a great sapphire recut from one of the hand-selected gemstones purchased on my recent trip to Sri Lanka. The result is a rich cornflower blue in a classic oval shape. An AGL Prestige Report is included that shows heat but no other treatments. Ideal for an engagement or right hand ring.
2.04 ct, 8.2 x 5.8 x 5.2mm, VVS clarity
$5000

2.05 ct Untreated Blue Sapphire

6965273.jpg
An untreated sapphire from Sri Lanka, this one is a beautiful violet-blue (more purple than the camera captured in the photos above). Good Sri Lankan cutting with nice proportions in a longish oval design, and eye-clean clarity. Untreated/unheated as indicated in its AGL ID report.
2.05 ct, 8.13 x 5.72 x 5.31mm, VS clarity
$4100

2.41 ct Untreated Blue Sapphire
An untreated/unheated rich royal blue sapphire from Sri Lanka, this sapphire is well cut and properly proportioned (i.e., not too deep) so it looks larger than other sapphires of the same weight. Its AGL ID report says no heat or treatment, and it's a nice ring size so this would make a perfect engagement or right hand ring.
2.41 ct, 8.10 x 6.75 x 4.84mm, VVS clarity
$6750
8380775.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Please compare the first two Finewatergems sapphire with this Gemfix Sapphire...

2,14 ct unheated oval for 2595 $ ( 1217 )

A much better price imo...

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1440476813|3918833 said:
Please compare the first two Finewatergems sapphire with this Gemfix Sapphire...

2,14 ct unheated oval for 2595 $ ( 1217 )

A much better price imo...

Good find, Marlow! That one looks very promising and the price is attractive :naughty:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Or 1179...

3995$ unheated too but 3,04 ct.

D5grvty

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all your suggestions everyone! I haven't been able to respond to your suggestions as often as I'd like due to a sudden influx of cases for work, but rest assured, I have been reading every update! I have nixed the original sapphire and am now investigating Finewater Gems and Gemfix. I try to keep the sapphire size under 2.6 carats because anything bigger starts looking a little ridiculous on her finger (she's a size 5). She also prefers a deeper, brilliant blue (I think it's called Kashmir/Ceylon Blue) as opposed to sky blue, so I've been narrowing it down. Thank you all so much for your help! I will keep you all updated.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go by the dimensions (mm size) rather than carat weight because cut styles and depths will vary from stone to stone.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chrono said:
Go by the dimensions (mm size) rather than carat weight because cut styles and depths will vary from stone to stone.

Yes! This is actually how I approached my last diamond purchase. I asked for something close to an 8 x 10 stone, and even in diamonds the carat weight varied from 1.8 to 3.1. And the prices varied wildly. I'm a firm believer in mm, it's a fixed value. :bigsmile:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding size, have you shared with us how you are thinking of having it set? I ask because if you are thinking of having anything around the stone like a halo, keep in mind that it will make the ring even larger.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
+1 Please go by dimensions rather than carat size. Sapphires are denser than diamonds and are cut differently than diamonds, so a 2 carat sapphire is going to be smaller than a 2 carat diamond (unless the former was cut like a pancake). Additionally, if you are experimenting with different shapes (round versus cushion versus oval), cushions tend to have a smaller face up than rounds for the same carat size.

+1 on MinousBijoux's advice on thinking about the setting when considering the size of the center stone. :)

Good luck with your search!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results