carat
color
clarity

Blue Nuance HPHT & Boron Test

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
As I mentioned on a couple of posts,
Apparently a lot of HPHT LGD on the market have a pale blue tint - IGI and maybe more labs even note it on certs.
I asked a friend John Chapman, (Gemtrix.com.au natural diamond testing equipment) if they could they be semi conductors?
"Yes, the color is from Boron so in theory they would be semi conductors."
I would love anyone who has one of these diamonds to please test them for electrical conductivity / resistance please.

Having lunch with John tomorrow (along with the geologist who found the most diamonds ever).

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Outstanding info...looking forward to reading more after your luncheon with John.

As an aside, I did take my digital multimeter to my wife's LGD a while back and it has zero conductivity/resistance.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Outstanding info...looking forward to reading more after your luncheon with John.

As an aside, I did take my digital multimeter to my wife's LGD a while back and it has zero conductivity/resistance.

It may require a more sensitive device.
Rockdiamond David is going to have a crack at it.

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
Omg it does conduct. Just tested it with my kid’s STEAM toy. The diamond completes the circuit on her music circuit kit.

I took a video but I guess I can’t load it here. Here are screenshots of the negative control (paper) that made no sound, positive control (directly on metal contact) that made a sound, and on the diamond, careful not to touch the gold/palladium setting, which made the same sound as the positive control.
62EAB1B8-B24B-46C6-9F30-63595A266F39.jpeg

Attachments

• C035A499-A64A-4FA8-8F93-FEDC53D79812.jpeg
    C035A499-A64A-4FA8-8F93-FEDC53D79812.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 639C9BCE-A9EE-4439-B179-4209988FD1AF.jpeg
    639C9BCE-A9EE-4439-B179-4209988FD1AF.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 5

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I took a video but I guess I can’t load it here. Here are screenshots of the negative control (paper) that made no sound, positive control (directly on metal contact) that made a sound, and on the diamond, careful not to touch the gold/palladium setting, which made the same sound as the positive control.
62EAB1B8-B24B-46C6-9F30-63595A266F39.jpeg

You can load to YouTube etc and then post a link.
A great simple workaround you came up with

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
kewl! that would make it a conductor not a semiconductor at that level of boron.

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
kewl! that would make it a conductor not a semiconductor at that level of boron.

I think it’s a semiconductor anyway because diamond structure would be an insulator that is conducting a current due to the bits of boron, lacking a valence electron, creating holes in the lattice that can accept an electron (p-type). Curious as to what could be used as an n-type semiconductor to couple with the boron-diamond in a diode or transistor, I found that phosphorus has been used. I wonder what a phosphorus doped diamond would look like and if it’s ever been cut as a gem.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it’s a semiconductor anyway because diamond structure would be an insulator that is conducting a current due to the bits of boron, lacking a valence electron, creating holes in the lattice that can accept an electron (p-type). Curious as to what could be used as an n-type semiconductor to couple with the boron-diamond in a diode or transistor, I found that phosphorus has been used. I wonder what a phosphorus doped diamond would look like and if it’s ever been cut as a gem.
To low a resistance to technically be classified as a semiconductor at that doping level.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results