shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue nile vs local jeweller

SixtyTwo

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Just had two questions, im being quoted about 1k more for a ring at a local jeweller vs blue nile. They said the difference is they hand make their jewellery and hand pick them whilst blue nile mass produces it so its inferior, is this true? And should i pay the extra 1k? 7k vs 6k.

Also on blue nile for the exact same specs, i get a large variation in diamond pricing? Anywhere from 5k to 6k, why is there such a large range? [Edit] Ive noticed now it has to do with depth, table, flurescence, polish and symmetrry, whats an ideal combo aka best bang for buck?

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the rings/stones you are considering? 99% of the time, local Jewelers dont have access to truly excellent cut stones, and they disparage online stores to scare people.

It's highly likely that you can find a better diamond on BN than at a local jeweler.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely go with Blue Nile over a local vendor, but let PSers help you find the best stone in BN's inventory :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your local jeweler has much higher overhead costs than Blue Nike, spread over fewer purchases, so your local jeweler will just about always be more expensive than Blue Nile. Whether their quality is better depends on their quality, and unless you’ve seen previous examples of their custom work AND are experienced enough to evaluate the quality, we can’t know if it is better. It might be better, but it also might be worse. From the items I’ve seen, Blue Nile has better quality than Zales, Kay’s, etc.

I do second the others that 99% of the time it is difficult to impossible to find a well-cut diamond through a local jeweler. Your jeweler could be th exception, but unfortunately that’s hard to figure out unless you’re a very knowledgeable consumer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results