shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile Sweetheart Micropavé - Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eagle

Rough_Rock
I really like this setting, but need a little motivation to make the purchase:

Sweetheart Micropavé in Platinum

I''m a little worried about how thin it is at 1.8mm. My girlfriend has small hands but she''s an engineer and gets dirty with her hands all the time and I don''t want her to worry about the ring. I plan to get a round diamond between .8 and 1ct for the setting. Budget is around 8k.

I''d love to hear your thoughts and ideas on this decision. What do you think of this setting? Does anyone have real pictures of it? Do you think a .8ct would look good? Do you think the 6 prongs will hide the diamond too much to let light reflect off of it? Thanks for the help everyone.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
I have really small hands too and that was actually my first choice a few weeks back because I was looking for a really thin band (under 2mm if possible). I want both the e-ring and wedding band to have little diamonds on the side, so it''s important for me to keep both at max 2mm width each.

However, the turn off for this setting was the side profiel which I didn''t like as much. I love the fact that it has 6 prongs, but there''s a ridge across each prong. I wanted something simpler. Make sure your girlfriend likes the side profile before getting it! Most of the BN reviews were good for this setting, but one person did mention the the ridge between the prongs (maybe in different wording) so that''s what got me worried.

My most recent choices were between the BN Nouveau and GOG Gabriel settings. See this poll I made:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pick-one.108803/

More people favored the BN Nouveau. HOWEVER, I am most probably going to go with GOG Gabriel. My initial love was actually the Tiffany Novo except it has cushion instead of round. It''s 2mm with 1 pointer side diamonds. The BN Nouveau is 2.2mm with 2 pointer side diamonds. The GOG Gabriel is 2mm with 1/2 pointer side diamonds. I recently went to Tiffany store again to try on Novo with matching wedding band, and decided the combination was actually a little too thick/gaudy for me. So that''s why I think BN Nouveau might be on the thick side, and safer to go with Gabriel. :)

Here''s Tiffany Novo:
http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?GroupSKU=GRP10015#f+0/0/0/0/0/0

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
I think the setting looks a bit complicated and covers up a lot of the diamond. My ring is similar but has a simpler basket setting so more diamond shows (I have 4 platinum prongs instead of 6 and it holds well). My Fiance got it custom made from "Lindsay Daniels Wolf"

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m going to give you my opinion. First let me say that I dont have a pave ring. My ring is basically a 3 stone and anytime I''m going to be getting
dirty I take it off. IMO I dont think a pave would be good for dirty work (or almost any other ring for that matter). Even if it is a good pave and
you dont have to worry so much about the diamonds going MIA it would still be a pain to clean dirt out of every day. If you plan on her wearing
her ering while she is getting her hands dirty I think a solitare would be her best bet. I have read threads from both sides of pave. Some wear
thier erings for everything and dont seem to have to worry about it and some have lost diamonds and have learned to remove them before they
do any dirty work.

Could you let us know what kind of dirty work she does exactly? Maybe its not so bad (my husband is an engineer but he is at a desk 98% of the time).

And...dont get me wrong...I would love to have a pave ring (maybe a RHR in the future
36.gif
).

eagle

Rough_Rock
I wouldn''t call it extremely dirty work. She''s an electrical engineer and does a lot of soldering and cirtuit board assembly.

Thanks for everyone''s opinion - I like the Blue Nile Nouveau as well, but was worried that the diamond sits pretty high off the ring. I figured a setting that keeps the diamond lower would be less prone to knocking it around. What do you think? I really like blue nile because my brother and few friends have ordered from there with great service. Some of the other sites don''t look as professional and kind of throws me off when i''m searching for a setting.

Another setting I kind of like is the Blue Nile Petite Trellis. What do you guys/gals think of it? I like the side of the setting a lot, but seems a little plain from the top.

a little background on my girlfriend is that she grew up never wearing jewelry and still doesn''t very much. I know she''ll like anything i get her, but i don''t want the setting to be to large or crazy that she won''t want to wear it. thats why i''d like to just get the best diamond I can afford just under a ct. and also keep the setting small, so the diamond doesn''t get smothered by everything on a large setting. Thanks again for everyone''s help on this long....but fun process.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
My friend who is a process engineer has this exact ring and it is very pretty in person. She takes it off when she is on the line and just wears a plain band. She said that in general anything that sticks up like a center diamond she can''t wear though, so it wouldn''t really matter what type of e-ring she had. Her stone is just under a carat and it looks great. Unfortunately I don''t have any pics though...

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
what about a really low set bezel?

that definitely won''t get in the way..

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a very low set bezel would be a good idea as far as her job goes. Have you considered just getting that
temporary mount that holds the stone and letting your GF pick the setting? I know its not as much fun as
suprising her with the whole ring but it could save some frustration/money down the road if the mounting you
pick doesnt work. Plus picking out the setting is something you could both enjoy together.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
The setting looks very pretty! But I will second what the others have said and say you might reconsider this one for your gf. I do wear pave rings, and I do baby them quite a bit. Whenever I have to stay overnight at work (craziness everywhere and running to codes, procedures etc), I wear a plain band. I am also not very klutzy with my hands though, so that helps!

Can you ask her what she would prefer? While we can all speculate, she may actually prefer a more ornate setting that she cannot always wear to work really! But if this a 24/7 kind of ring, I would avoid pave.

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
I think the ring is a good idea =) My ring''s band is thin like that too and it''s pave. I''m not sure about the assembly work, but I think the ring would be very pretty showcasing your 0.8 carat diamond!

eagle

Rough_Rock
I don''t know much about all the different settings - Can you send me a link of an example of a very low bezel setting?

I definitely want to get a setting with the diamond. We both work at the same place, so I know she won''t have to take the ring off most of the time. 90% computer work, 10% electrical work. I saw some pictures of Tacori settings and they looked really nice. There is just too much to choose from. I guess i''ll keep looking at other websites to see if I come on anything that I really like.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results