shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile Signature or JA True Hearts?

gemwitch

Rough_Rock
I decided all in all to go with a classic round brilliant. I just can't commit to any of the fancy shapes because I love them all and I'm erratic almost on a daily basis as to which my favorite is. So I figure I can't go wrong with a classic.

It seems like choosing a round is even more complicated. :-o I found a nice looking round true hearts from JA but not sure if Blue Nile signature would be better? I like that JA shows images.

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.45-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-196013

I can see the twinning wisps in the stone but they don't bother me. I am just concerned with durability.

Is it worth paying the True Hearts/ BN Signature premium or should I just stick with ideal? I'm not sure if I should get a better stone set in WG vs a less expensive Ideal cut set in platinum which is the metal I would prefer.

Thanks!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
You will be able to get a bigger stone if you went with a regular GIA XXX with a HCA < 2.0. I think the H&A is a "mind thing" for people who want the best of the best of the best, but doesn't necessarily imply a visual difference. Is your price range still $1000 for the stone and setting? If so, I'd go for the biggest stone I can afford. Color and inclusions are generally more noticeable as you go up in size, so I think that you can go down in color and clarity for smaller stones.

gemwitch

Rough_Rock
sortmon|1364829221|3417895 said:
You will be able to get a bigger stone if you went with a regular GIA XXX with a HCA < 2.0. I think the H&A is a "mind thing" for people who want the best of the best of the best, but doesn't necessarily imply a visual difference. Is your price range still $1000 for the stone and setting? If so, I'd go for the biggest stone I can afford. Color and inclusions are generally more noticeable as you go up in size, so I think that you can go down in color and clarity for smaller stones.

Yes that is about the price range. No higher than $1,100. That is what I was thinking too.

For JA these are the only 2 stones I found in my price range that were regular ideal:

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.44-carat-i-color-i1-clarity-sku-199800

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.44-carat-e-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-174028

BN has a bigger selection in my price range.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Have you called IDJ? I personally have never worked with them, but I've read that they are good with small budgets. I know you contacted them before while you were looking at fancy shapes, but it might be worth another shot now that you're looking at rounds.

gemwitch

Rough_Rock
sortmon|1364829973|3417904 said:
Have you called IDJ? I personally have never worked with them, but I've read that they are good with small budgets. I know you contacted them before while you were looking at fancy shapes, but it might be worth another shot now that you're looking at rounds.

I did. They prices were higher than BN or JA

sakari_8

Shiny_Rock
I think the best place to call for the price is B2C Jewels because they are giving the best price, however you may have to request them
for the Images like Blue nile they do not have Images but on request they can provide you the image.

I think GIA xxx with HCA 2 or below is good enough and looks just the same when you compare it with True hearts of James allen visually.

gemwitch

Rough_Rock
sortmon|1364831398|3417922 said:
What about this one? I know it's a K, but it has strong blue fluorescence and is over half a carat: http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.54-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-105501

If you're getting it set in a simple solitaire with no side diamonds, you may not notice the color as much. HCA 1.1!

That's a nice looking stone. I am color sensitive I'd have to see it in person to see how I feel. It's also at the top of the price point.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Ok, good luck! JA offers free shipping both ways so you could see the stones IRL first. And remember to ask for the PS discount!

gemwitch

Rough_Rock
sortmon|1364832295|3417937 said:
Ok, good luck! JA offers free shipping both ways so you could see the stones IRL first. And remember to ask for the PS discount!

Thanks! The only thing is that K you sent me is more expensive than the true hearts one?

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I didn't know that. I can't see the price of the True Hearts one as it's on hold. I guess it's more expensive because it's bigger and the clarity's better. From my experience, the JA True Hearts have smaller PS discounts than the non-branded stones, so the prices may end up being similar.

Anyhow, I hope you find what you're looking for!

gemwitch

Rough_Rock
sortmon|1364832986|3417945 said:
Oh, I didn't know that. I can't see the price of the True Hearts one as it's on hold. I guess it's more expensive because it's bigger and the clarity's better. From my experience, the JA True Hearts have smaller PS discounts than the non-branded stones, so the prices may end up being similar.

Anyhow, I hope you find what you're looking for!

The price on the true hearts one I posted is $820

Thank you I need it LOL :wacko:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Hi - I had BN Signature studs and a JA H&A pendant, and both are beautiful and stunning. However, I have just upgraded my studs with BN and the new ones are Ideal, not Signature Ideal. They will be here the day after tomorrow. I did a lot of research into BN Ideal as opposed to BN Signature Ideal, because the Sigs really carry a large premium. I checked out the light performance and the numbers with all the experts here, and they all said that the Ideal stones I chose look fab.

So I called BN and they said not to think of Ideal as going down a grade from Sigs, it isn't, it's just that the Sigs are cut by BN themselves. They also have extra certificates, etc. So, basically, if you do the right research and use the Holloway Cut Adviser and the experts here, it seems you can get an ideal stone with performance every bit as good as Signature Ideal. There is wide variation in the Holloway scores of the Ideal line so you have to do more research.

Assuming that my new studs will be as sparkly as the numbers indicate (and I made such a fuss at BN for not having images that they sent me GCAL light performance diagrams which looked ace) - anyway, assuming that these studs are vey sparkly, then I came to the conclusion that the Signature line is really a marketing tool and a vehicle for people who want "the best of the best" to have something to buy. From all my research and all the expert opinion here, it seems that as long as you pick a good stone out of the Ideal crop, then the Sig line doesn't translate into any visible difference in sparkle. And that's an important observation, because the premium for the Sig line is huge.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Something else - you should know that BN's diamond prices are usually quite competitive because the inventory is virtual. They ship directly from the company holding the diamond, so BN never sees it. However, if you pick an Si2 like I did for my studs, BN does get confirmation that the stone is eyeclean. BN seems to be honest in their assessment - I liked another pair and they came back as not eyeclean.

The disadvantage on BN is that there are no images - because the stones are not in-house like they are at other PS vendors. But you can get some great deals on BN, they are very reputable, and their returns policy is fantastic. I am a long-time customer and have returned a TON of items. It has always been hassle-free. Although, you have to send the returned item by USPS registered mail which means you have to cover it with special Post Office tape. That part is a bit of a hassle at the Post Office but it's the safest method for returning jewels. Actually getting your money back with BN is NO problem at all. I think BN is very solid and I have never had any problems with their diamonds (my stud upgrade is coming Weds - let's hope that's OK!) They are not as popular here on PS as their business model is very different from PS vendors. But I found them before I found PS, and have experienced them to be a very well-run, fair company so I have remained loyal.

gemwitch

Rough_Rock
Smith1942|1364843760|3418040 said:
Hi - I had BN Signature studs and a JA H&A pendant, and both are beautiful and stunning. However, I have just upgraded my studs with BN and the new ones are Ideal, not Signature Ideal. They will be here the day after tomorrow. I did a lot of research into BN Ideal as opposed to BN Signature Ideal, because the Sigs really carry a large premium. I checked out the light performance and the numbers with all the experts here, and they all said that the Ideal stones I chose look fab.

So I called BN and they said not to think of Ideal as going down a grade from Sigs, it isn't, it's just that the Sigs are cut by BN themselves. They also have extra certificates, etc. So, basically, if you do the right research and use the Holloway Cut Adviser and the experts here, it seems you can get an ideal stone with performance every bit as good as Signature Ideal. There is wide variation in the Holloway scores of the Ideal line so you have to do more research.

Assuming that my new studs will be as sparkly as the numbers indicate (and I made such a fuss at BN for not having images that they sent me GCAL light performance diagrams which looked ace) - anyway, assuming that these studs are vey sparkly, then I came to the conclusion that the Signature line is really a marketing tool and a vehicle for people who want "the best of the best" to have something to buy. From all my research and all the expert opinion here, it seems that as long as you pick a good stone out of the Ideal crop, then the Sig line doesn't translate into any visible difference in sparkle. And that's an important observation, because the premium for the Sig line is huge.

That is great info thank you!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Sortman I would go with the one you chose

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Justlove25 On being color sensitive You were looking at a K and maybe with the floresence it will show as a J ask the vendor their opinion. I know a really great PS er that is looking to buy an I stone and never thought she would as she is very color sensitive. But compromise is something we all have to do to get a great cut stone with lots of sparkle and a little size doesn't hurt either :appl: :appl:

gemwitch

Rough_Rock
heididdl|1364856458|3418184 said:
Justlove25 On being color sensitive You were looking at a K and maybe with the floresence it will show as a J ask the vendor their opinion. I know a really great PS er that is looking to buy an I stone and never thought she would as she is very color sensitive. But compromise is something we all have to do to get a great cut stone with lots of sparkle and a little size doesn't hurt either :appl: :appl:

That one is more expensive than the True Hearts I was looking at so it's a tough call. I'm sure the florescence would help though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results