shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile or wait for Victor Canera setting? Cdn $$ dilemna

tygrr_lily

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on pricescope for a very long time now. As a result, I've fallen in love with Victor Canera's beautiful rings and my dream ring is the Gabriella:

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-gabriella-four-prong-solitaire-with-single-cuts

I'm hoping for some advice. First, I should mention that my boyfriend has been in heavy consultation with my best friend in getting me a ring. He knows that her and I have talked about my ideal setting, and she has passed on that I love the VC one above. She has also passed on my preferences in terms of colour/clarity, etc. so I am still to be "surprised". I know it sounds a bit odd but it's how we've always done my gifts - I provide options through her, he chooses something so i can still be "surprised", and we're all happy

My boyfriend got an estimate for the setting + a lovely 1.5 caret RB diamond also sourced from Canera. He was ready to purchase it (and I was ecstatic!), but procrastinated and is now hesitant to buy from the United States because of the poor exchange rate. He is now saying he would rather purchase locally in Canada because there is a substantial price difference because of the currency ($1500-2000). We could go with a smaller diamond to mitigate the price difference, but that would mean dropping down to around 1.25 and I would obviously prefer to have the 1.5 (I wear a 6-6 1/4) and he prefers a larger size if possible, as well. I don't want my boyfriend to spend more than he is comfortable with though so I'm not sure what to do here.

I am trying to consider alternatives. Blue Nile has a similar setting:

http://www.bluenile.com/trio-micropave-diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_30607

but they don't ship this setting to Canada at all! So we were thinking of maybe ordering a diamond from the Blue Nile Canadian site and the setting separately from the American one (have friends nearby in Buffalo), and having someone here in Toronto put the ring together. Does that sound odd? And is it worth it to do with the BN setting? I have seen someone with this ring in real life, and it is pretty, but of course I would much prefer to have the VC setting

I don't know of any equal jewellers here and of my friends that have gone the custom route in Toronto, the pave work is nowhere near comparable. Also, my boyfriend knows very little about diamonds and if he goes and talks to jewelers here himself, I don't know what he's going to end up with. I really wanted to avoid BN because I know they don't have the diamonds in stock and I would much prefer to see a pic of the actual diamond, but if the alternative is him choosing a stone himself, I trust myself more to choose a nice ring from BN. I've also read that their Signature Ideals are probably my best bet

I'm torn - What should we do?

I've been looking at a couple of Blue Nile Signature Ideals and for his price range and the cheaper BN setting, we could get about a 1.6-1.7 with vs1/2, G/H colour. We'd also have to find a jeweler here to put it together

Or should we just get a Blue Nile diamond in a simple solitaire setting for now, and send it to Canera down the road for the Gabriella setting?

Or get a smaller diamond from VC (Around 1.25-1.3) and still get the Gabriella setting?

Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Blue Nile or wait for Victor Canera setting? Cdn $$ dile

Absolutely go for the 1.5 ct diamond you want now. I would not buy the pave setting from BN. I would set in a simple solitaire for now before I would do that. I would not even recommend the setting you are looking at from VC unless you are planning to never wear a wedding band with the e-ring. It is not good to wear another ring with 3 sided pave. I'd really recommend pave on the top of the shank only when you do get one. I do think settings from Ritani and Vatche are nice quality if you don't want to pay the price of handforged, and in those cases, you could look at WhiteFlash and Good Old Gold as well.

Oh, and no, don't buy a diamond from BN and then order a setting and try to set the diamond locally. Number one, no jeweler will accept responsibility for damage to the stone if they are not selling the diamond, and they may not even want to set it if they don't sell the setting. So buy a setting from whomever you buy the diamond from so it comes to you set and ready to be insured.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

If you buy the stone from BlueNile they'd be setting it in their setting for you. And if you do that, get a simple setting that you can live with for a little while til you save up for whichever you want later.

I do agree about that VC though---that's not something you can wear with another ring beside it.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have the VC Gabriella 6 prong setting w/out the pave on the shank. If you still love the original Gabriella, Victor can make you a custom spacer to wear next to your ring (which is what I have also).

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1392326408|3614667 said:
Absolutely go for the 1.5 ct diamond you want now. I would not buy the pave setting from BN. I would set in a simple solitaire for now before I would do that. I would not even recommend the setting you are looking at from VC unless you are planning to never wear a wedding band with the e-ring. It is not good to wear another ring with 3 sided pave. I'd really recommend pave on the top of the shank only when you do get one. I do think settings from Ritani and Vatche are nice quality if you don't want to pay the price of handforged, and in those cases, you could look at WhiteFlash and Good Old Gold as well.

Oh, and no, don't buy a diamond from BN and then order a setting and try to set the diamond locally. Number one, no jeweler will accept responsibility for damage to the stone if they are not selling the diamond, and they may not even want to set it if they don't sell the setting. So buy a setting from whomever you buy the diamond from so it comes to you set and ready to be insured.

+1

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Roxy|1392327754|3614700 said:

+1

+2

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi tygrr_lily.

If you have a jeweler you're happy with, I'd do this:

Buy something in the 1.6ct range that you love.

Buy *this* on DB:

http://www.diamondbistro.com/category/246/Semi-Mounts/listings/35532/Blue-Nile-Petite-Nouveau-Platinum-Setting.html

It's the Petite Nouveau setting, and in my opinion is the prettiest and most elegant solitaire setting on BN. If you can get that setting shipped to Canada, then buy the stone and the setting together. But if you can't, I'd buy the setting separately through DB and get your jeweler to set it for you - possibly after slimming down the prongs a trifle.

I definitely wouldn't drop the size of your center stone and I wouldn't go with the VC.

Just to note, that setting has been for sale for some time, so they might be open to offers.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

+1
ditto

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I did not have a good experience with BN setting. LOVED MY STONE. hated my setting. Waste of money. Bulky prongs. Gunk where the prongs covered the stone. Tons of little specks when I looked into the stone. Got a new setting and all the specks disappeared. No gunk. Diamond was even brighter and clearer and more sparkly. If it were me, I would not waste the money. I hated the setting so much that I rushed to reset, another mistake. Wish I put down good money and did it right the first time and went with VC. FYI, I got the nouveau, one they discontinued. Almost turned me off solitaires forever. Best of luck if you go with BN for a setting. Thing is, if you stay on PS, you discover how much MORE beautiful a stone/setting can be, and then you see what isn't ideal about yours.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Read the thread below. They recommended Michael DaCosta at Fortunes Fine Jewellery which is in Toronto. I have been meaning to go check out the work myself to see how it compares. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/3-01-h-vs2-rb-split-shank-halo-t198291.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/3-01-h-vs2-rb-split-shank-halo-t198291.html[/URL]

http://www.leifbenner.com/ is also highly recommended - he is in the Distillery District.

If you really want to buy the diamond and setting separately, I have someone you can to for setting the stone. I personally would opt for getting a second hand stone and then getting a setting you love.

tygrr_lily

Rough_Rock

Thank you for all the advice! I think we are definitely going to stay away from BN. I am still mulling over the VC but I think it might be out of budget if I get a diamond of 1.5+. My bf is also increasingly preferring to buy the diamond locally, and I haven't priced it out yet but it seems like it'd be complicated/expensive to ship it back and forth from Canada to the US w/ insurance. The 3 rows of micropave has always been my favourite style and I think I'm fine with wearing a spacer, but I've also been looking at a few other settings.

What do you think of these:

Tacori Petite Crescent
http://www.tacori.com/newjewelrycollection/petitecrescent/ht254515rd65.html

Vatche Charis Pave:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/charis-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1658.htm

Ritani French set:
http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-platinum/4961#reviews

The prongs on all 3 are bulkier than I would like though. I know there are Tacori and Ritani authorized retailers locally. Not sure about Vatche but I've emailed to ask. Does anyone have any recommendations of settings with a more delicate type of pave w/ thinner prongs?

I've also been thinking rose gold lately, especially after seeing this beautiful Canera one. I must have watched the video 100 times:

http://www.victorcanera.com/jocelyn-solitaire-with-canera-antique-cushion

Another gorgeous VC - not helping my situation haha. I'd love this w/ a RB

Charmypoo - thank you for the specific local recommendations. I'm going to go check them out!

Ellejai1 - VERY VERY tempting haha. 1.8 H sounds lovely

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

heididdl|1392329146|3614717 said:

+1
ditto

Yep, this. :))

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd much rather have a bigger stone in a non-Canera setting than a smaller stone in a Canera setting. Most people really don't notice settings that much anyway.

That said, I had the opposite experience LLJsmom had with Blue Nile. I have two e-rings from them, and both were set perfectly and securely with all the prongs properly folded down on the diamonds. And I am picky too.

tygrr_lily

Rough_Rock

Laila619|1392502574|3616015 said:
I'd much rather have a bigger stone in a non-Canera setting than a smaller stone in a Canera setting. Most people really don't notice settings that much anyway.

That said, I had the opposite experience LLJsmom had with Blue Nile. I have two e-rings from them, and both were set perfectly and securely with all the prongs properly folded down on the diamonds. And I am picky too.

I am starting to lean away from Canera now. I adore his settings and pave work, but the ease and cost factor definitely have to be factored in. And being able to get a larger stone is something I'd love to do

I found this Ritani setting and I LOVE it. It comes in rose gold too. It's still fairly expensive, but definitely cheaper than Canera

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/diamond-micropave-band-engagement-ring-in-platinum/4958

How are the diamonds purchased through Ritani? I did a quick search on their website and their prices actually seem fair. I know Whiteflash carries Ritani settings too, but I know my boyfriend would prefer the fact that Ritani has authorized retailers in Toronto that we could easily pick up the ring from (and pay Canadian)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Or another option, buy the stone locally tell Victor the measurements and have him make a setting and send it to you, or send him your stone and have him make the setting. Or perhaps buy a plain temporary setting and upgrade to a Canera one for an anniversary or something. I am biased I have a couple of rings made by Victor and they are outstanding.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom|1392329550|3614724 said:
I did not have a good experience with BN setting. LOVED MY STONE. hated my setting. Waste of money. Bulky prongs. Gunk where the prongs covered the stone. Tons of little specks when I looked into the stone. Got a new setting and all the specks disappeared. No gunk. Diamond was even brighter and clearer and more sparkly. If it were me, I would not waste the money. I hated the setting so much that I rushed to reset, another mistake. Wish I put down good money and did it right the first time and went with VC. FYI, I got the nouveau, one they discontinued. Almost turned me off solitaires forever. Best of luck if you go with BN for a setting. Thing is, if you stay on PS, you discover how much MORE beautiful a stone/setting can be, and then you see what isn't ideal about yours.

same experience.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock

Go with Victor!! Victor can source the same stones for you that you can get from BN. Ditto the PP who said they loved their BN stone but hated their setting. I was in the same boat and I traded in the BN setting (which was a PITA, btw) and ended up going with Victor. My ring is GORGEOUS!!! And Victor is such a great guy to work with. I would not have V make a setting to send you to have the stone set in. 1. I don't know that he'd be willing to do this because of the way they make their settings and it's his reputation on the line and 2. there's just way too much room for error and you're dealing with a very expensive setting. I would either have Victor source the stone for you or buy a stone locally and send it to Victor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results