shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile - NOT a drop shipper.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was just on the phone with BN ordering a new stone for a small project I'm doing. Got into conversation with the sales person who told me that BN phased out drop shipping some years ago and that EVERY stone now goes through QA in front of 3 certified GG's (Graduate Gemologists).

It seems to me that BN is slowly but surely removing all the barriers and complaints they've previously encountered regarding their product. Each stone is checked for match to the GIA or AGS cert attached to it, but also for general features like structural integrity.

I push BN with a lot of people on these boards, simply because they seem to offer the best deal. But they've had some issues that have made them less attractive for buyers - especially nervous buyers. The removal of drop shipping overcomes a huge hurdle in my opinion, making them a far more attractive option for those looking for a specific stone at a lower price. I don't believe they'll ever offer ASETs or ISs. But they're slowly adding 360 degree video to every stone, and when that's been achieved, and given that every stone now goes through a multi-point QA evaluation, I think they've turned themselves into a far safer option for those looking for a stone on a budget.

So - just a thought.

Having said that, they would still not be my first choice for fancy cuts - tho I *have* bought princess cuts, cushions, hearts and pears through them, and most of them were lovely. But these were for small projects and I'd go with GOG for something larger. And Victor Canera is, in my opinion, emerging as a fabulous vendor for branded round brilliants, while you still can't go past BGD, GOG, and of course, White Flash.

But BN has access to a huge stock with a lot of wonderful quality stones, so, with their new checks and balances, they're worth reconsidering.

Just an FYI.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
That's good news. Do you know if their GG's will also offer evaluations or side-by-side comparisons of candidate stones, like JA does?

I hadn't looked at BN in a while, glad to see they're adding 360 video. In my opinion, 360 video is sometimes more useful than ASET, especially for fancies.

I'm curious, what is your concern with fancy cuts from BN?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blueniles amazing price and huge virtual inventory are very attractive. I would consider buying a stone from BN for MYSELF. However, it is a bit hard to recommend BN to beginners without ASET/IS/actual photos. I am not a big fan of their 360 degree videos either; the lighting is too bright and tend to mask flaws too much.

Having that said with free return, if you know how to assess a diamond, BN can be a great choice.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had some problems with Blue Nile as far as customer service goes, but I have a very pretty band and a really beautiful stone from them, as well as some studs that I chose myself. The prices were really pretty good, but I still keep coming back to the customer service issue and not sure I would use them again unless it's to upgrade what I already have.

jc133

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm in the market for a fancy (Oval ~1.3-1.5 carat diamond). I see that you mentioned BN is not the best place for fancy cuts which I've been browsing, and was wondering what sites you would recommend for something along these lines? I know GOG is GoodOldGold (I think) but not sure what the other acronyms you mentioned were. Just looking for the best oval cuts nothing else, and I apologize if I should not be asking this on your thread.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My issue about buying fancies online is that you need (and this is only my opinion) an ASET to check for light return. And you MUST have a video. Either that, or ask an expert to handle it from go to whoa - altho even then I'd want to see the ASET and a video.

I think Good Old Gold (yes - GOG) is best for sourcing ovals, but their prices are generally pretty high. For a less expensive option, I'd also try IDjewelers.com and speak to Yekutiel (and only Yekutiel, since his knowledge is widest at IDJ on this sort of thing, I believe). James Allen would be my third option.

jc133 - what are your parameters for an oval? Budget, size, clarity, any must haves?

And here's a list of acronyms: :)

BN - Blue Nile -
GG - Graduate Gemologist
QA - Quality Assurance
IS - Idealscope - a light performance tool which shows all light return from a stone as essentially the same (ie if it's red, it's returning light).
Angular Spectrum Evaluation Tool - a light performance tool which shows light return in three difference colors (red, blue, green), indicating the angle at which the light is being returned to the viewer (each color indicates a difference angle).
BGD - Brian Gavin Diamonds
GOG - Good Old Gold
FYI - I'm guessing you already know this one... :)

Here's an article on ASET's and IS's.
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/what-aset-reveals-ideal-scope-does-not

I hope this helps! And pls let us know your search parameters - we might be able to help!

jc133

Rough_Rock
So I did post a thread about this here (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-me-find-a-magnificent-oval-diamond.231746/), but I was hoping for a 1.3-1.5 carat, D-F color, clarity is not a huge concern, however, it MUST be eye clean, and was hoping between 1.4-1.5 L/W ratio. The only other must have besides eye clean is it must be very sparkly/shiny. I was looking to spend between 8 and 10,000 preferably on the lower end but willing to go to the upper for something perfect.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am not fond of the way it elongates on the ends - I feel it compromises the true oval shape. But this is taste only. To me, it gives it a slight trapezoid shape, which I don't like.

I am unfamiliar with the lumera site and don't have time to go through it at the moment. If it's related to a specific brand of diamond, tho, I'd say proceed with caution.

jc133

Rough_Rock
I replied above with the parameters, it was at the same time you replied though so you may have missed it...

So I did post a thread about this here (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-me-find-a-magnificent-oval-diamond.231746/), but I was hoping for a 1.3-1.5 carat, D-F color, clarity is not a huge concern, however, it MUST be eye clean, and was hoping between 1.4-1.5 L/W ratio. The only other must have besides eye clean is it must be very sparkly/shiny. I was looking to spend between 8 and 10,000 preferably on the lower end but willing to go to the upper for something perfect.

jc133

Rough_Rock
I am not fond of the way it elongates on the ends - I feel it compromises the true oval shape. But this is taste only. To me, it gives it a slight trapezoid shape, which I don't like.
What do you mean by elongates? Is this correlated with the L/W ratio or something totally different?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Different. It bulges on either end - I suspect to extend the length a trifle to keep it above 1.5ct, tho I could OF COURSE, be wrong. it's not an entirely smooth curve. The curve decreases at the ends so the stone stretches longer, compromising the curve of the cut, which I think is the whole point and true charm of an oval.

jc133

Rough_Rock
I see, thank you for the explanation, although I'm having trouble seeing the bulge but I understand what you are saying... also FYI I did post the specs in comment #12

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought an asscher online blind from Blue Nile and I've been obsessed with this stone for 5 years now. It can be done. I figured I would return it if I didn't like it.

I don't know if I would stick with blue nile after several happy purchases... There are so many good vendors here to try. But I have been pleased with my BN diamond purchases to date...

March-8-2008

Shiny_Rock
Almost ten years ago, my husband purchased my engagement stone from Blue Nile, a Signature Ideal princess. (This was before I was properly educated via PS.)
And yet - I still get out-of-the-blue compliments several times a week on it! :love: It throws incredible fire and rainbows, and it's the liveliest cut princess I've ever seen.
We still feel that BN was an excellent value and my stone is truly a delight and a marvel to me, all these years later. :appl::mrgreen:
Blue Nile doesn't get a lot of attention here on PS but they did an extremely good job for him as a first-time diamond buyer. Glad to see that BN is elevating their standards and promoting consumer diamond education.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
One other note on Blue Nile - you can get 1% cash back on your first $7,500 if you shop through Ebates (I shop online all the time and I always use Ebates - at first I thought it sounded too good to be true, but it's definitely legit).

https://www.ebates.com/bluenile.com

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results