shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue-green Lagoon Tourmaline hunting

polarisfire

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, I’ve fallen in this one instagram hole of neon lagoon tourmalines (fav color is blue-green/green-blue). This particular account I follow is gemobsessedsingapore and everything is gorgeous but also seems expensive? Like $1000/carat. I mean they’re really clean and well cut but I’m not used to non cuprian tourmaline prices going up real high. I asked about it and she says it’s because they’re Nigerian, the mine’s closed, and on average they’re more neon than Afghani blue greens. Anyone else out here got experience with the lagoon tourmalines who can comment on these claims? I love the blue shift color in the below pics - both are the same stone:

14A2FE84-9D25-40E2-8ADC-9D4DC5FFC40F.jpeg B069A4CE-0BB0-4DEC-9A61-20CE55AB70BD.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s very pretty, but I’ve seen Afghan tourmaline that puts that to shame. As for the price, I’m not sure if it’s fair, as I’ve seen prices all over the place.

I would also want photos in various lighting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btw, there was a cuprian deposit in Nigeria, but I’m not sure if this lagoon material is what the dealer is talking about. Out of the three paraiba locations (Nigeria, Mozambique and Brazil), Nigeria is the least neon.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yvonne Raley had some blue-green tourmaline at one point that she described as 'lagoon' color. From what I remember, she said it was part of a small find that has now been mined out. I can't find her Etsy listing for those stones anymore but here is an Instagram post she made about it. Screenshot_20191002-224929_Instagram.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her photo must be bad because that looks like a regular green tourmaline to me, open color, but I don’t see teal.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah that is not the best example. She definitely had some of those stones that were more blue but I can't find the images anymore. I remember because I debated buying a blue green cushion cut tourmaline (color reminded me of somewhere between Afghan and Namibian) from her a while back but ended up getting something else, I forgot what now :lol-2:

polarisfire

Rough_Rock
Nah, I don’t think she’s talking about cuprian, just bright indicolite. It seems there’s lots of indicolite with gray in it or is too dark, it’s hard to tell from photos so searching around is overwhelming so far.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
BDF69C1C-E8B0-4492-93BA-A1655DDD734F.jpeg

Idk. Tourmalines can look so good in the tropics you know? Above is a pic of a mint tourmaline in the sun. Same tourmaline, different lighting below.

1C859603-01C0-466D-8652-C286A102732B.jpeg
0BACEE91-0179-4F3D-8CF8-15F88A85AE39.jpeg

$1k/ carat sounds really pricey to me. I’ll rather get a sapphire for that price.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I've noticed a couple at Colorado Gem. There used to be many more of these around, at least some are cuprian - but not with that Paraiba look, so the chemistry is of no interest [return to reason, to whom it may concern].

Last edited:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Why don't you check bayoto out on Instagram? They have some strange policy on wire transfer but they have nice tourmaline from time to time and it is not expensive. I think gemobsessed may even have been buying from them at some stage (at least I remember her posting about something like this). Agreed with icy, tourmaline look nice in the tropics (like SG where all those photos were taken).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking for this color stone for a while, so have a bunch of IG vendors on my feed who have them. But some are from Afghanistan, which is the least bright of all the material (at least from what I've seen). Still pretty though! I'll try to find some pics and share them.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got mine from Swala years ago. its gorgeous yes (thankful for that cutting too!) and in Florida my goodness the color!!!:love: But it does change quite a lot even from just going inside to outside. I also have an afgan stone cut by Precision Gems, not neon but absolutely gorgeous ( the smallest amount of yellow which isn't a detractor IMO)

Please please please be picky whom you get these types of stones because your viewing environment matters. Mine here in Florida didn't get that super crazy neon blue in Massachusetts. It would glow sure, but here in sunlight its NEON BLUEISHGREEN (all caps y'all....). I wish I was joking. Either way its absolutely gorgeous stone and I paid a very good price for it

polarisfire

Rough_Rock
Lots of good leads, thanks so much!! :love:

I mean, I'm based in southern california so I have that Sunlight also, heh. I am definitely looking for the medium teal as neon as possible. And icy jade, I like the color on your indicolite double halo ring. I told myself I was on ban now :shifty: but this is good stuff for looking around and getting a sense for the pricing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regardless where the stone comes from, it should be beautiful. The only tourmaline origin that holds a monetary premium is Brazilian paraiba, but for non copper bearing indicolite, origin doesn’t matter. I have a Brazilian indicolite that I adore. The most beautiful indicolite or greenish blue tourmaline, outside of a paraiba, that I ever saw was an Afghan stone at a gem show. It was in a ring.

Of course nothing compares to top quality paraiba, which has its own electric source, lol! It looks great in a dark closet!!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
OMG, I saw this on LT and just had to share. Instead of paying $1000/ct, why don't you get this indicolite set from a former PS'er for the price of 3.84ct total for $1000? They look fairly neon to me if you like the color and cut. The cutting was done by Jeff White, one of the top.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/3-stone-indicolite-suite;31160

SmallTourm.jpg

Gamatas.jpg

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here is another one that has potential. Her hand pictures are not glamour shots that were taken in the best possible lighting, so the stones I have purchased look better in person. If it interests you, I would ask if those are inclusions in the photo or fingerprints. I’m leaning toward fingerprints since you can’t see them in the studio photo. She runs sales occasionally, so I am assuming the price could be negotiated down 10-15%
https://www.etsy.com/listing/645022...s-loose-natural?ref=shop_home_active_89&frs=1

polarisfire

Rough_Rock
2Neezers: Love the pear!!
voce: Yes I also saw those indicolites on LT and considered them. They seemed a little grayish and too blue though, but maybe it's just the lighting Perhaps I should ask for a video of em'.
I love the litnon stone also...
Been lookin on Colorado Gem and there's some affordable ones there too, though the photography makes it hard to compare between their stock.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Lots of good leads, thanks so much!! :love:

I mean, I'm based in southern california so I have that Sunlight also, heh. I am definitely looking for the medium teal as neon as possible. And icy jade, I like the color on your indicolite double halo ring. I told myself I was on ban now :shifty: but this is good stuff for looking around and getting a sense for the pricing.

1846A0E0-483A-4F2F-BEEA-A61A051B64C6.jpeg

Just took some pics so you can see how it changes with different light. This is from Bayoto and he said it’s from Oyo mine. FWIW I paid less than $1000/ct for this 3.6 ct tourmaline. I don’t know if it’s considered neon but there is a nice sheen under lights.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother and I have some YR lagoon tourms. Is it a little glowy - yes, is it neon - no, is the color gorgeous - hell yes! I have the ring below (sidestones were swapped out), the color is beautiful in all lighting and doesn’t shift too much. The earrings are my mothers, paraiba pears, purple garnets, and lagoon cushions. You can see how the lagoons are “bright”, but not the glow of the paraibas. If you order from that vendor I’d be interested in your opinion if the stone is glowy or true neon.

AAB27D35-FE07-418B-92B6-2FBF6333F726.jpeg 263729D6-C5E9-405C-BBD1-4BF05351A893.jpeg D510E51F-7126-469B-B512-03E69EB9FBE7.jpeg

polarisfire

Rough_Rock
Alrighty, so I got the litnon one to look at, and it's beautiful but! has a surface reaching inclusion on the table :(2 It's also bigger than I'd likely ever wear on a regular basis so I'm thinking I should send it back... sigh. Whaddya think?

First up, indoor light pics:

IMG_3787.jpg

IMG_3791.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

polarisfire

Rough_Rock
Here's photos of the surface inclusion:
IMG_3799.jpg IMG_3801.jpg

Then sunlight:

IMG_3812.jpg IMG_3813.jpg IMG_3815.jpg
IMG_3820.jpg
IMG_3817.jpg

Don't mind the circular artifact in the upper right corner of the last pic, it's just a reflection off the loupe.

Anddd for reference here's the vendor pics:
IMG_3807.JPG IMG_3808.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results