shape
carat
color
clarity

blog help: What not to do on valentines!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am proposing a blog topic of: What not to do on valentines!
I need you help, what has your loved one done on valentines that they should not have done?

The answers may be used in a blog post.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I totally forgot about it. Luckily, I have an awesome wife and all was ok!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Was an ex, not my current SO, but I would say “do not pick a fight for no reason” lol!

A more serious answer would be don’t do something cliche just because it’s what’s “expected”! If you want to celebrate it make sure it’s something that your SO likes and not just something generic that magazines say “all women like”.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't go out to eat.
Covid notwithstanding.
We never go out to a restaurant on Valentine's Day.
It's overpriced and over hyped IMO.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Don't go out to eat.
Covid notwithstanding.

I can't agree with this enough. Worst night of the year!
Terrible prices, long waits, weird menus.

Spend a quiet night at home with a movie and save the dinner for another time.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
IF it's important to your SO, don't do nothing because "it's just a commercial holiday" and don't say "I like to do romantic things because I want to, not because commercialization has pressured me to do so". One could argue that Christmas, birthdays, Mother's Day etc. are all commercialized as businesses take advantage of those holidays to get people to spend as well. Yet VDay seems to get the most heat for this for some reason. So if it's important to your SO then just do something nice for him/her dammit!

ETA - this is not my current SO; but a past one. Obvi!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don’t buy 24kt gold dipped roses… They will last forever…but not in a good way..:sick: DD6683D2-7392-4FB3-B5B5-EFABD4E5F39A.jpeg

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I guess Valentines day is for people in very new relationships more so than those of us that have been together for a long time.
With my jewelers hat on - most of our sales for Vday are for those young and new couples with a few for a partner who appears to have been bad and is digging himself out of a hole!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Don’t buy 24kt gold dipped roses… They will last forever…but not in a good way..:sick: DD6683D2-7392-4FB3-B5B5-EFABD4E5F39A.jpeg
My wifey would love those but it raises a great point.
Do your best to get what they would like, not what catches your eye that you like or just because someone else likes it.
If you cant figure it out ask their best friend what they think would be awesome.
If nothing else you have someone to blame if it blows up! LOL

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
In my opinion what "not to do" is ignore Valentine's Day (or only do the basic obligations of it with little thought or interest).

While it is definitely a commercially contrived holiday to get you to spend money, who cares, it's also a built-in reminder to stop and focus on your partner as more than a business partner, roommate, co-parent etc. on a day when the rest of the world is doing it along with you.

So I'd say get the flowers, wine, chocolates, perfume, reservations or whatever and remember you're fortunate to have someone to be romantic with.

It doesn't have to be a Hollywood production though, and you can also involve her in the plans. See what restaurants in town have a special couples menu that night or have your date night the day before or after, or just pick up a bottle of wine and some candles and snacks and watch a romantic comedy at home, because why not?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice: don't get married on Valentine's Day (I didn't but a friend did.)
You'll always have a harder time getting a restaurant reservation, service will be slower, favorite menu items may be out, and you may pay inflated holiday prices.

(For that matter, don't get married on January 1st, like my parents did. It was very hard to find a restaurant open for lunch, which was when our parents wanted to take our family out (lower prices at lunchtime!)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My advice: don't get married on Valentine's Day (I didn't but a friend did.)
You'll always have a harder time getting a restaurant reservation, service will be slower, favorite menu items may be out, and you may pay inflated holiday prices.

(For that matter, don't get married on January 1st, like my parents did. It was very hard to find a restaurant open for lunch, which was when our parents wanted to take our family out (lower prices at lunchtime!)

This is true! I got married the day before Mother’s Day. Our first anniversary was on Mother’s Day. We couldn’t get a reservation anywhere!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Awesome! You all rock!
Keep the stories and tips coming!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't go out to eat.
Covid notwithstanding.

+ a billion

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Don't buy those grocery store chocolates--since they've been repackaged from Christmas into heart shaped boxes. LOL. :saint:

cheers--Sharon

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your significant other is expecting a proposal, don’t go to a fancy restaurant unless you ARE proposing!
It’s not a great idea to propose on Valentine’s Day anyway BUT there’s nothing worse than expecting a proposal and NOT getting one

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your significant other has talked about others getting flowers delivered to the office on Valentine’s Day…. Listen…. and send them flowers to the office. Expensive yes, “it’s not a competition” yes, etc etc etc but a resulting cold shoulder / death stare / total silence is the alternative.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t buy them chocolates and then say maybe you shouldn’t eat them because you are gaining weight.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of Valentines Day….. @Dee*Jay did you ever find out who sent the flowers to you?

if you are sending flowers make sure the florist includes a card saying who the flowers are from.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A homemade dessert will be much more romantic than an overpriced heart-shaped box of chocolates.

Get some delicious strawberries and some dipping chocolate, save some of the chocolate for after dessert ;)2

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ignore the day. It's a giant conspiracy to get people to spend their money on cheesy cards (think of all the trees that would be saved), uncomfortable underwear for women (guys, lace isn't comfy on tender tissues) and heart covered boxers and socks for men. Oh the agony....all those damn red hearts everywhere one looks. It's like a Fellini film and the Twilight Zone had a baby.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of Valentines Day….. @Dee*Jay did you ever find out who sent the flowers to you?

if you are sending flowers make sure the florist includes a card saying who the flowers are from.

Wow -- I'd forgotten all about them! You'd think three dozen red roses would stick in my mind, but apparently not. :lol: No though... never did find out who sent them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't go out to eat.
Covid notwithstanding.

and red roses are very over priced as are all flowers that week
not that im denyung florists their one week to make hay while the sun shines
but we had mum's funeral that week -she always had great timming :(2 (also it was the university orintation week)
it was really hard to get roses !

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So if you both look each other square in the eye and agree well before a holiday that the unrelated but essential joint purchase that you are about to make will "count" for presents for said holiday, do not believe this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results