shape
carat
color
clarity

Blisters from running!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I recently purchased new running shoes, and have been getting blisters on my toes. I''ve never gotten blisters before. My shoes are not too small, and I''m not lacing them too tight. I wear non-cotton socks.

Any suggestions to remedy blisters?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
BODY GLIDE!!!

A layer of that on your toes before you run should allow the socks to slide over your skin without causing blisters. Just be careful...they don''t recommend putting it on broken skin...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use athletic tape, never have a problem - just be careful with your nails, and put a little vaseline or something on them first
39.gif

vc - I''ve never seen that before! Does it work well for you?

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I bought some tape and some Vaseline for my feet. My feet don''t hurt until after my run. I''m just worried about my feet when I start increasing mileage (aiming for a half in May), as I''m only running about 15 mi/wk now.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I ran a marathon in a downpour, with completely soaked shoes... and not one blister... thanks to Wrightsocks.

I LOVE THEM> even with bizzare-o shoes... they prevent blisters. They totally work for me.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 2:18:38 PM
Author: tlh
I ran a marathon in a downpour, with completely soaked shoes... and not one blister... thanks to Wrightsocks.

I LOVE THEM> even with bizzare-o shoes... they prevent blisters. They totally work for me.
I second the sock notion. Socks make ALL the differnce. I ran my first half in socks that were not great and I finished with literally holes in my feet (big ouch
14.gif
)

I told my running store people about it, and they recommend I switch to these socks...

http://www.amazon.com/Balega-Womens-Lady-Enduro-Socks/dp/B0012ISSTO/ref=pd_sbs_a_1

I absolutely LOVE them. I haven''t had any blisters since, even with 10 mile runs. Check em out!

PS I am also a big fan of the Body Glide for other body parts like inside the upper legs (prevents chaffing)

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 2:38:08 PM
Author: dcgator

Date: 1/22/2010 2:18:38 PM
Author: tlh

I second the sock notion. Socks make ALL the differnce. I ran my first half in socks that were not great and I finished with literally holes in my feet (big ouch
14.gif
)

I told my running store people about it, and they recommend I switch to these socks...

http://www.amazon.com/Balega-Womens-Lady-Enduro-Socks/dp/B0012ISSTO/ref=pd_sbs_a_1

I absolutely LOVE them. I haven''t had any blisters since, even with 10 mile runs. Check em out!

PS I am also a big fan of the Body Glide for other body parts like inside the upper legs (prevents chaffing)
I was running in cotton socks, but recently bought synethic materials. I may need to purchase a couple pairs of higher quality socks for my long runs.

Thanks!

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Try Thick Cushioned Thorlo Running Socks! The are the only socks I use and I never get blisters any more!

Good luck!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I taped up my pinky toe and put Vaseline on my toes. I wore my synthetic socks (bought these before I saw all the suggested socks), and I got blisters on the arch of my left foot.
29.gif
I''m beginning to think I may have bought a half-size too big. I wear an 8 for everything, so I didn''t even bother trying on the half size down, as the 8s felt great!

I''ll try to Vaseline most of my foot, and look into these specialty socks.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2010 5:27:11 PM
Author: BeachRunner
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I taped up my pinky toe and put Vaseline on my toes. I wore my synthetic socks (bought these before I saw all the suggested socks), and I got blisters on the arch of my left foot.
29.gif
I''m beginning to think I may have bought a half-size too big. I wear an 8 for everything, so I didn''t even bother trying on the half size down, as the 8s felt great!

I''ll try to Vaseline most of my foot, and look into these specialty socks.
Beachrunner,

Well it sounds like you solved the toe blister problem, but as important as socks are, the right running shoe is even more important. I highly recommend that you go to a proper running store and get fitted for your shoes. They should watch you run on a treadmill to fund out if you roll your feet when you run, and put your foot into a kind of mold thing so that they figure out whether you have a low, high or normal arch. Once they figure all that out, they will give you a shoe that is designed for your type of foot and you shouldn''t have any more issues
9.gif

Good luck!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Could be the socks, could be the shoes. Sometimes they take a few runs to break in. Socks, I go with thick cotton socks. You need to protect your tootsies! Sneaks, I am a die-hard Asics fan and get few blisters once they''re broken in. Good luck!

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
If you have tried wicking socks and bodyglide and are still having problems it is very likely the fit of your shoe. Often, even if the size is correct, the box of the shoe is too roomy. Years ago, I always ran in Nikes but when I started picking up mileage for marathon running about 6 years ago, I got tons of blisters. Mostly on my big toes. I went to the running store and found out that my feet from top to bottom are "thin" for lack of a better term. So I need really tight shoes that fit my whole foot (not just the size and width) snuggly to prevent blisters....Asics worked for me. Nikes were too roomy. Everyone is different but a good running store should be able to help you figure it out.

A temporary fix that worked for me (and still does on the occasion that I get blisters from other shoes and have to put running shoes on over those nasty blisters) is duct tape. Sounds crazy but you can cut a piece into thinner strips and wrap the toe, covering the blister. The adhesive is strong so they stay put through a lot of sweat and the fibers in them make it a little cushiony. Other sports tapes and band-aids come off after me when running high mileage in the heat or rain.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 12:14:42 AM
Author: tdiddy
If you have tried wicking socks and bodyglide and are still having problems it is very likely the fit of your shoe. Often, even if the size is correct, the box of the shoe is too roomy. Years ago, I always ran in Nikes but when I started picking up mileage for marathon running about 6 years ago, I got tons of blisters. Mostly on my big toes. I went to the running store and found out that my feet from top to bottom are ''thin'' for lack of a better term. So I need really tight shoes that fit my whole foot (not just the size and width) snuggly to prevent blisters....Asics worked for me. Nikes were too roomy. Everyone is different but a good running store should be able to help you figure it out.

A temporary fix that worked for me (and still does on the occasion that I get blisters from other shoes and have to put running shoes on over those nasty blisters) is duct tape. Sounds crazy but you can cut a piece into thinner strips and wrap the toe, covering the blister. The adhesive is strong so they stay put through a lot of sweat and the fibers in them make it a little cushiony. Other sports tapes and band-aids come off after me when running high mileage in the heat or rain.

Thanks for all the tips! I''ve remedied my problem with two pairs of nylon socks. I also use Vaseline on my feet. During my longer runs I''ll tape my feet. I haven''t had any new blister which is a HUGE plus! I just think my Nike''s are too roomy; I tried on one pair of Asics and just didn''t feel right to me. I''ll have to keep duct tape in mine when my mileage increases.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I wonder if your shoes fit properly--did you have a "proper" fitting at a running store? I did this when I bought my Mizuno''s and they showed me how to lace them to minize heel movement (and I pronate) and I have never had one blister or discomfort issue.

cheers--Sharon

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 7:25:03 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I wonder if your shoes fit properly--did you have a ''proper'' fitting at a running store? I did this when I bought my Mizuno''s and they showed me how to lace them to minize heel movement (and I pronate) and I have never had one blister or discomfort issue.

cheers--Sharon

Sharon,

I did not do this. Oof! My previous shoes gave me no troubles (no specialty store involved), so I ASSumed that this pair wouldn''t give me trouble. They have broken in a little bit, and I''m not developing any new blisters! When I''m ready for a new pair, I will def. go to a running store.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results