shape
carat
color
clarity

Black Veil - Am I Insane?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Okay guys, I know the opinions tend to run rather conservative on here but I'm going to give this a shot anyways..... I'm a (former) goth (meaning I was full-on from 20 to 30 but am too lazy now at 43) I have a fair number of tats and still have a few piercings left though now I dress normal most of the time.....

We're getting married in Vegas (so that gives me some leeway with what I can get away with ;-) and I am wearing the lovely dress shown below (I just could not go ALL black but had to get SOME in there somewhere!) Here is my question: I really think the veil HAS to be black (for it to go with the dress). It will be a birdcage veil so it won't have a lot of fabric but I know 99% of the population associates black veils with FUNERALS!!! I don't want to offend my in-laws. They'll already have to look at all my tats hanging out on my arms and back (although I'll be wearing a lace bolero for photos so they'll have some "nice" pictures. I know my tats do NOT thrill them. Oh, they are Jewish and I am not - forgot to mention that part.....)

I just really want the black veil...... what do you think?

- Jodie -

dress- black lace.JPG

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the veil I want...... see? It''s not like "Bride of Frankenstein", right?

veil - black birdcage.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it''s too much. Could you balance it out with other white accessories? Like pearls (nice and conservative for the inlaws) or perhaps a white flower or decoration on the veil? I think it looks awesome!

(And when/where are you getting married in Vegas? Yay for another Vegas bride!!!)

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, when I first read the name of this thread, "Black Veil - Am I Insane" I initially thought, yes, she has to be insane.

BUT, after seeing the dress and the birdcage veil I REALLY LOVE IT! It goes really well with your dress and very subtle. It''s perfect if you ask me.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I saw the title of the thread my first thought was "YES YES YES!" However, after seeing your dress and the veil, I think you should go for it. Not because of your goth past, but because I think the veil would go lovely with your dress and tie everything together.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a beautiful look!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the veil... Although I was worried at first. lol. I agree that maybe adding some white accessories would really help the look be more in-law friendly.

Livinthedream

Shiny_Rock
I''m a fan also! I think it would be a great match to your dress. The dress is beautiful. It''s your day, and we are who we are; if it''s your style I say go for it!

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
That dress and a black veil would be unbelievably gorgeous, in my opinion. You should go for it.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Let me first say that I will join the group that is "pleasantly surprised" at how this thread turned out... I immediatly thought floor-length black, OMG she''s going to look like she''s at a funeral!!

I think you should wear it if you like it. It is very flattering, especially since there is a substantial about of black in your dress.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a good enough relationship with your future ILs that you could ask/explain this to them.
I am Jewish, and I got all sorts of flack from relatives b/c my bridesmaids wore black.
I don''t know your inlaws, but if they are very religious, they may find a black veil offensive since it is associated with funerals(even though you don''t mean to be)
It''s just a cultural thing, and I''d hate for this to impact your future relationship with them.
Just my .02.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
First, let me just say, I LOVE GOTH! I''m not, but I might as well be, if you consider the music I listen to.
9.gif

I don''t think that veil is too much at all! I actually really like it. When you said "black veil" I was picturing something longer and blacker, and thought maybe it would be too much. But that is a great choice, IMO.

You must come back and post pics!!!
36.gif

mrowmrowsmom

Rough_Rock
I love it. It looks beautiful, and I agree with the poster who said that some cream colored pearls would really complement the ensemble well. Even though your accents are black, the fact that it''s lace and netting just makes it so elegant looking.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would look unbelievably classy
1.gif

And you let those tats show, woman! I WISSSSH mine would be visible with my dress.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I think by balancing it out with say, a white flower, the veil would look very lovely.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 1:28:10 PM
Author: meresal
Let me first say that I will join the group that is ''pleasantly surprised'' at how this thread turned out... I immediatly thought floor-length black, OMG she''s going to look like she''s at a funeral!!

I think you should wear it if you like it. It is very flattering, especially since there is a substantial about of black in your dress.

Ditto, however I think it will look beautiful - very elegant.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think a birdcage veil goes with that style of dress, regardless of color.

If you think it does, then pick whatever makes you happy. Black = Funeral, or cocktail hour IMO.
2.gif

Vancity

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!
I''m Ally from Vancouver, BC, Canada
35.gif
("Vancity" is the nickname Vancouver.)

I''m a long-time lurker, but finally registered today...so here goes, my 1st post!

I absolutely LOVE your McClintock dress! That pic doesn''t do it justice...it''s sooo gorgeous in real life.

You''re not insane, my dear - just very stylish *wink*

Please let us see lots of pixs after your big day! Congratulations!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''ll look beautiful!

I had black in my dress and I know the in-laws didn''t like it along with many other things. I don''t know if there is a good way to break it to them, would you change your mind if they totally opposed? I''m having in-law issues as well, dreading our reception actually, and wouldn''t wish that on my worst enemy!! Maybe you and your fiancee could come up with a way to approach them if their opinion matters to both of you. If you wouldn''t change your mind with or without their approval I might just not say anything.

I was also a Vegas bride! YEAH!
36.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Do it. Yo know you want to. I think it would look great! I love the dress too, I can''t wait to see pics! I agree with whoever said pearls would go great to balance it out. I think it will be so classy.

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Love both the dress and the pretty black veil. I think the combo is very chic. If I may add some things to consider:

1) The veil might look darker on you if you don''t have blonde hair.

2) The white flower suggestion: In some cultures, white in your hair indexes "in mourning" even more than the black itself. You might want to consider the possibility of committing a double faux-pas (however unintentional) by adding the white flower to your black veil.

3) How about wearing both the little black mesh and a full length white veil? That way, the black will be an "additional touch" of color, and not the main veil. When you''re saying your vows, your whole ensemble will look really traditional from the back, since white is all they will see. I know that''s not what you''re going for, but it might appease the in-laws or other conservative relatives so that they''ll literally have nothing to talk about "behind your back" during the ceremony. Or I was thinking you could have a white veil with a black lack trim at the bottom, which would balance out really well with your dress. (Did I mention I really love your dress?!)

All that said, it''s your wedding! Rock your heart out :)

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 1:26:51 PM
Author: BizouMom
That dress and a black veil would be unbelievably gorgeous, in my opinion. You should go for it.

I agree! I love that dress!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you''ll look amazing with that black veil.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t mind it at all actually. BUT if you truly think it will offend the inlaws I would skip it personally for the ceremony and maybe take some pics of you and DH afterwards wearing it.

But if you just don''t think they''ll love it, but they won''t be offended, go for it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 3:30:01 PM
Author: neatfreak
I don''t mind it at all actually. BUT if you truly think it will offend the inlaws I would skip it personally for the ceremony and maybe take some pics of you and DH afterwards wearing it.

But if you just don''t think they''ll love it, but they won''t be offended, go for it!
I would think... is the bride in part-mourning? As a guest. It is beautiful. But it''s not something I would personally do.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I would not dream of someone wearing a black veil as a bride, but if your guests know you and your style, then go for it! It is very stylish and matches beautifully. However, if you have lots of extended family or recent aquaintences who are not familiar with your style, maybe a different black accessory would be more approriate/ less scadalous? Think of something like Lanie''s avatar pic with the feather flower combo. You could do a white flower with black feathers or a really sparkly black comb. I do agree that the black is a good color with the dress - I just might find another accessory besides a veil.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 3:51:44 PM
Author: Guilty Pleasure
I would not dream of someone wearing a black veil as a bride, but if your guests know you and your style, then go for it! It is very stylish and matches beautifully. However, if you have lots of extended family or recent aquaintences who are not familiar with your style, maybe a different black accessory would be more approriate/ less scadalous? Think of something like Lanie''s avatar pic with the feather flower combo. You could do a white flower with black feathers or a really sparkly black comb. I do agree that the black is a good color with the dress - I just might find another accessory besides a veil.
I have to agree. I also think these are very good suggestions.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
You know... with that dress I think IT IS FABULOUS! I don't think you'll offend anyone... it wouldn't offend me at all if I was a guest at a wedding and a dear friend or family member wore that... it is a part of who you are... and what's not to like?

What I was visualizing was Lydia from beetle juice!

ETA: and just to add... VEGAS does give you the option to mix it up.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
You need one like this and you can probably make it for cheap...I love this!!

BLACKNDWHITE5482847.JPG

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
As soon as I saw your dress, I thought, as long as it''s a birdcage or short veil. Now that I see the example pic, I think it will look lovely and actually go much better than any other kind of veil. Love the dress!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results