shape
carat
color
clarity

Black in diamond - why is it so?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssparkles

Rough_Rock
OK - I am sorry if this has been asked before (which I pretty much believe it has). I was shy and sent a pm to a fellow Pricescoper here, only to be encouraged to post my question here.
3.gif

I would like to understand why is it that when I see some diamond photos on this site, the top view (table) shows some black? What does this mean? Are they bad diamonds?
I don''t even know what it is termed, so I cannot possibly search past threads or FAQ for information, although I believed it had been asked before.

Thanks in advance.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
You don't mean inclusions right?

You must mean the facets.
Simple answer - Some facets are windows which allow light through, which can appear dark at certain angles at certain times, and some are mirror which reflect light back at you.

Does some one know which tutorial includes this info?
Is it in GOG's tutorial?
If you know where it is please post a link.

Scintillating...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2005 9:52:18 PM
Author:mrssparkles

OK - I am sorry if this has been asked before (which I pretty much believe it has). I was shy and sent a pm to a fellow Pricescoper here, only to be encouraged to post my question here.
3.gif

I would like to understand why is it that when I see some diamond photos on this site, the top view (table) shows some black? What does this mean? Are they bad diamonds?

I don''t even know what it is termed, so I cannot possibly search past threads or FAQ for information, although I believed it had been asked before.

Thanks in advance.

do you mean 8 black arrows?
20.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
My guess is it''s the reflection of the camera they''re using to take the photo of the stone, or the phenomenon of head obstruction (check out the video gallery for details).

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2005 10:34:11 PM
Author: researcher
My guess is it''s the reflection of the camera they''re using to take the photo of the stone, or the phenomenon of head obstruction (check out the video gallery for details).

bingo :}
they are actualy one in the same the camera is causing head obstruction or head shadow if you will.

http://diamondscope.pricescope.com/?src=Head_Obstruction_1.wmv

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Now what is fish eye in a diamond and can you described what it looks like. Thank you

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
eeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkk Thank god for good cuts

skphotoimages

Shiny_Rock
Sometime in this past week Rhino pointed out that some ideal cut diamonds go dark in bright sunlight. What is that all about? Mine does it in the sun, but if I shade it with my hand it is amazing once again. Can anyone elaborate on this phenominon (can''t spell)?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2005 11:30:28 PM
Author: skphotoimages
Sometime in this past week Rhino pointed out that some ideal cut diamonds go dark in bright sunlight. What is that all about? Mine does it in the sun, but if I shade it with my hand it is amazing once again. Can anyone elaborate on this phenominon (can''t spell)?

http://diamondscope.pricescope.com/?src=GarryhPro.wmv

I think it was that one that Garry showed it in.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results