shape
carat
color
clarity

Birthstones for presents

MarlonN

Rough_Rock
What is the significance of birthstones, and how do you decide which to give as a present? Are they given to lovers or friends or what? I'd love to know because I think they would make really unique and special presents for loved ones.

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
Depends on background and culture.
Each culture, country, tribe has had their own versions throughout history, from the 12 stones mentioned in the bible as being on the breastplate of priests to being attributed to the qualities of the 12 Apostles and being in Vedic texts.
In 1912 the American National Retail Jewellers Association created the list of so-called accepted Birthstones, but if you look to other cultures there are 6 or 7 variations to each month.
If you don't like the stone(s) for your month, look at astral stones.
Again, the main stones of the zodiac are based off one source, usually Hindu texts, but there are 6 or 7 alternatives for those to, and astral stones cross over 2 monthes.
To further complicate the matter there are astological stones ruled by planetary influence (as apposed to the Zodiac stones attributed to starsigns) each planet, or astronomical body, has seven stones depending on what point in the cycle, and under what other planetary influence. Except for Rahu which only has three.

Basically I feel buy what you like, it's going to mean something to you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DDOC|1479474247|4100125 said:
+1
Because my birth month has a boring and unattractive stone.

MarlonN

Rough_Rock
DDOC|1479474247|4100125 said:
Depends on background and culture.
Each culture, country, tribe has had their own versions throughout history, from the 12 stones mentioned in the bible as being on the breastplate of priests to being attributed to the qualities of the 12 Apostles and being in Vedic texts.
In 1912 the American National Retail Jewellers Association created the list of so-called accepted Birthstones, but if you look to other cultures there are 6 or 7 variations to each month.
If you don't like the stone(s) for your month, look at astral stones.
Again, the main stones of the zodiac are based off one source, usually Hindu texts, but there are 6 or 7 alternatives for those to, and astral stones cross over 2 monthes.
To further complicate the matter there are astological stones ruled by planetary influence (as apposed to the Zodiac stones attributed to starsigns) each planet, or astronomical body, has seven stones depending on what point in the cycle, and under what other planetary influence. Except for Rahu which only has three.

You have so much knowledge about this subject. I hadn't really thought of it in that way. I thought that this was just universal, and not anything to do with cultures and such stuff. This really clarifies a lot for me, but I think I'll take your advice and just buy what I like and something that will actually mean something to me. Thanks again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results