shape
carat
color
clarity

Birth Control Pill Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Two weeks ago my GYN gave me a prescription to start birth control pills, specifically Ortho Tricyclen Lo. I posted here that I was having heart palpitations which were diagnosed as PVCs. I saw a cardiologist who did an ECHO which came back normal. So my PVCs are benign (whew!) but I JUST found this out. I asked today if it was ok to start birth control pills and was told yes by both the cardiologist''s nurse and my OBGYN''s nurse.

So I went ahead and took my first bcp an hour ago, decided to go look at the bcp website and it looks like I was either suppose to take the 1st pill either on the first Sunday of my period OR the first day of my period. My period just ended yesterday so does that mean I just royally screwed up? Now, I''m not an idiot, I swear
12.gif
and I normally read all phamplets that come with any meds that we get. But the information that came with my pills got wet from a spill on our counter before I could read and I tossed it.

My GYN''s office is now closed so I can''t call again until tomorrow. Has anyone else started their pills on a day other than what is suggested? Is there a health risk that I started it today instead of waiting another full 3-4 weeks?

Thanks so much!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When did your period start?

There's no health risk, don't worry.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 3:10:40 PM
Author: JulieN
When did your period start?

There''s no health risk, don''t worry.
May 27th :)

thanks Julie! I feel like such a dork!
20.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That shouldn't be a problem for your health, but to be safe I would use a back-up method of birth control just for that first month. During your period, your body is already gearing up to ovulate by amping up the production of estrogen, and if you are an "early ovulator" your body may indeed have been well on the road to O. So it is possible that taking the BCP those few days later in your cycle will not prevent ovulation this one tme. It's unlikely, but that is how accidents happen sometimes! Also, you may find that you have extra spotting or that you period starts later or earlier that usual this one cycle because you started them late. Otherwise it shouldn't be a problem!

ETA: since you period started on the 27th and it is now technically cycle day 8 I STRONGLY recommend that you do not rely on the BCP as your sole form of birth control this month. Some women ovualte as early as CD-8, so don't take any chances.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 3:19:28 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
That shouldn''t be a problem for your health, but to be safe I would use a back-up method of birth control just for that first month. During your period, your body is already gearing up to ovulate by amping up the production of estrogen, and if you are an ''early ovulator'' your body may indeed have been well on the road to O. So it is possible that taking the BCP those few days later in your cycle will not prevent ovulation this one tme. It''s unlikely, but that is how accidents happen sometimes! Also, you may find that you have extra spotting or that you period starts later or earlier that usual this one cycle because you started them late. Otherwise it shouldn''t be a problem!

ETA: since you period started on the 27th and it is now technically cycle day 8 I STRONGLY recommend that you do not rely on the BCP as your sole form of birth control this month. Some women ovualte as early as CD-8, so don''t take any chances.
Thanks Dreamer! I was warned by my GYN to use condoms the entire first month. But I''ll make sure that it''s a definite! But there''s no serious health side effects? I don''t mean to be such a hypocondriac, but since these PVCs started, I''m such a freak about my health! Which is good and bad. Good= eating much better and exercising. Bad= I''m such a worry wart now!

krispi

Shiny_Rock
No health side effects, but your cycle could be irregular this month. Don''t be surprised if your next "time of the month" doesn''t arrive when you expect it to.

Also, I just wanted to share my experience with the low dose OTC. I had taken the full dosage version for several years with no problems whatsovever but stopped when I got divorced. When I went to the Gyno to start up BCP''s again, the Ortho low dose had become available, and she asked me if I wanted to try it. She gave me 3 months worth of samples. I bled off and on the entire 3 months and had severe issues with my anemia. It seems that dosage wasn''t strong enough to regulate my cycle. At the end of the 3 months, I called and had my prescription switched to the full dosage. I''ve now been taking those for a couple of years and haven''t had any more problems.

Doesn''t mean you''ll automatically have problems, but I wanted you to be aware just in case. My BFF also had similar symptoms when she tried another low dosage pill.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
The Sunday thing is just for convenience, most of the packs are labeled with the days of the week (and thats the only way I know if remembered to take my pill or not). If your pack is labeled that way, and you want to be on track with it, I'd probably skip a few pills so you are on the right day. Really, no matter what you do, you'll need back up birth control for the first month, then you'll be on track next month.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 3:46:18 PM
Author: laine
The Sunday thing is just for convenience, most of the packs are labeled with the days of the week (and thats the only way I know if remembered to take my pill or not). If your pack is labeled that way, and you want to be on track with it, I'd probably skip a few pills so you are on the right day. Really, no matter what you do, you'll need back up birth control for the first month, then you'll be on track next month.

Ditto. You should have started the pill on Sunday, or on the first day of your period...But, since you didnt, you are not protected for this month and should use a back-up method like condoms no matter what....But dont worry....no potential health risks here!

Good luck!!!

eta: Take your "Wednesday" pill tommorrow, and then continue on from there in order, taking each pill with its corresponding day so that you dont get confused. Makes it easier.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Dani,

Should I then not take the rest of the pills and just start over next cycle? Or should I continue taking the rest as if I had started on the correct day?

Thanks so much!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 3:38:11 PM
Author: krispi
No health side effects, but your cycle could be irregular this month. Don''t be surprised if your next ''time of the month'' doesn''t arrive when you expect it to.

Also, I just wanted to share my experience with the low dose OTC. I had taken the full dosage version for several years with no problems whatsovever but stopped when I got divorced. When I went to the Gyno to start up BCP''s again, the Ortho low dose had become available, and she asked me if I wanted to try it. She gave me 3 months worth of samples. I bled off and on the entire 3 months and had severe issues with my anemia. It seems that dosage wasn''t strong enough to regulate my cycle. At the end of the 3 months, I called and had my prescription switched to the full dosage. I''ve now been taking those for a couple of years and haven''t had any more problems.

Doesn''t mean you''ll automatically have problems, but I wanted you to be aware just in case. My BFF also had similar symptoms when she tried another low dosage pill.
I had exactly the same.

I ended up taking Yasmin and loved it - right up to when they banned me from taking it due to my migraines...
15.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 5:11:14 PM
Author: february2003bride
Dani,

Should I then not take the rest of the pills and just start over next cycle? Or should I continue taking the rest as if I had started on the correct day?

Thanks so much!

You know what? I probably wouldnt bother with this month now...You are most likely just going to have breakthrough bleeding and screw up this months cycle.

Just start a new pack on the first day of your next period (or you can do a Sunday start, whichever you prefer- just remember with Sunday start to start the pack on the first Sunday AFTER your period starts. That's what I would do.
2.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 7:43:55 PM
Author: Dani

Date: 6/3/2008 5:11:14 PM
Author: february2003bride
Dani,

Thanks so much!

You know what? I probably wouldnt bother with this month now...You are most likely just going to have breakthrough bleeding and screw up this months cycle.

Just start a new pack on the first day of your next period (or you can do a Sunday start, whichever you prefer- just remember with Sunday start to start the pack on the first Sunday AFTER your period starts. That''s what I would do.
2.gif
Thanks Dani!!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Feb-

Just remember too, if your next period actually starts on a Sunday, that is when you start taking the pill....dont wait until the Sunday after. Alot of patients have confusion about starting bcp's, so just wanted to clarify!!!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results