shape
carat
color
clarity

Birkins anyone?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love to know how you all feel about the Gucci Birkin totes. Do you have one? Do you use it, or does it sit on the shelf because you don't want anything bad to happen to it? If you don't have one, why not? I've been looking at them online, but even secondhand they're a bridge too far.

Just looking for opinions here,

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you mean Hermes Birkin? I love the Hermes brand and have several scarves and SLGs. I don’t see the fuss about the Birkin, though. It looks like a big heavy tote bag that you can’t open and close easily! And I really don’t know how anyone can justify the prices, they’re crazy!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a few LVs and they are expensive enough! I have a vintage Chanel too as well as a few other “brands”.
The Hermès Birkin isn’t a style I like anyway. I prefer bags with a strap so my hands can be free. I love crossbody bags and backpack styles.
Hermes Birkin are an outrageous price. I appreciate they are fully hand made etc etc but $10,000, $20,000, $100,000 for a bag?
rather have bling!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them but would never spend that much for a bag. I’d also be afraid something would happen to it when I used it. I would only use it for special occasions.

If you get one @doberman I promise you I will ohhh and ahhh over it. They are so beautiful!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hermes Birkins? Uh uh thats not my thing. though the way I dress normally, I'm sure most would think its a knockoff...lol But they are extremely beautiful bags and well made.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I like the style and I’m sure they’re beautifully made. I rarely use handbags so it’s more of a “great for her, not for me” type thing.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought the Birkin 35 a few years back and I think I’ve used it half a dozen times at most. I purchased directly from Hermes and it was after months of buying a lot of the leather bracelets.

It’s a very heavy bag and more cumbersome for want of a shoulder strap, so that’s one reason I don’t use it much. The other is that it’s a fairly iconic bag and I preferred to keep a lower profile in the office. I got enough stares on the one occasion that I carried a Gucci monogram bag that I really didn’t want to see how people would respond to a Birkin.

I got a quote from FashionPhile right before shelter in place, but I couldn’t bring myself to sell it. I don’t have a relationship with a SA at Hermes anymore since mine retired, and I don’t want to buy a bunch of other stuff in hopes of being offered one. If I did do it over, I would get the 30 instead of the 35.

My other Hermes bag is the Lindy 26, and sadly I’ve barely worn that because shelter in place started the month after I got it. I don’t want to destroy the leather with hand sanitizer. I hope to wear it whenever things get back to normal. I like that the Lindy is pretty low-key and most people don’t know it’s a designer bag.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offense to any who love them, but I just don't like the style of Birkins at all. They definitely wouldn't go with my very casual attire. While I appreciate the quality, I'd have to adore a style to pay even half that much. If you asked how I feel about Chanel purses, now those I love!!! However, their frequent price increases are a major turn off for me, and I just don't get into the $5k+ price range for a purse. I'd rather carry a $500 purse and put the $5k toward jewelry. It all has to do with what you value, and I suppose unlimited money is helpful!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These days, I’m pretty much using theft proof travel purses with RFID protection because I’ve gotten sick of my credit card numbers getting stolen. The bank said there is no way of knowing how it happens, but since I started using rfid purses and wallets and DH the credit card protectors, we haven’t had an incident.

I also like that the purses are fairly cheap and they don’t look branded, so I guess I’m getting old because I no longer want purses that draw attention to themselves.

Also, many of them have a side pocket for a water bottle or umbrella. Lol. I am getting old.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offense to any who love them, but I just don't like the style of Birkins at all. They definitely wouldn't go with my very casual attire. While I appreciate the quality, I'd have to adore a style to pay even half that much. If you asked how I feel about Chanel purses, now those I love!!! However, their frequent price increases are a major turn off for me, and I just don't get into the $5k+ price range for a purse. I'd rather carry a $500 purse and put the $5k toward jewelry. It all has to do with what you value, and I suppose unlimited money is helpful!

I do like the Chanel purses, but I’m not buying one.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A362CEFC-DC52-44A1-826A-53484D9CC0AD.png

This is the latest anti theft purse I bought.... I bought this, a rfid Wallet and a pack of 3 more credit card envelopes for a grand total of $58 with their sale lol

And it’s vegan leather, which is becoming important to me

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A362CEFC-DC52-44A1-826A-53484D9CC0AD.png

This is the latest anti theft purse I bought.... I bought this, a rfid Wallet and a pack of 3 more credit card envelopes for a grand total of $58 with their sale lol

And it’s vegan leather, which is becoming important to me

I am definitely buying Travelon if we ever travel again! I also agree with the idea of not attracting purse snatchers with very expensive purses!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am intrigued by them. Why the obsession and exclusivity? Marketing strategy? I would be so paranoid when I use it. $10K for a bag. I could not let anyone even breathe on it. I think the smaller Birkins are so charming, but they are ridiculously expensive and hard to get. If I had a chance to buy one around the $3K range, I would. At $10K, I would get jewelry.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I’m not paying over $1000 for a handbag, so over $10K, furgitaboitdit! My vices are cars and diamonds. I’d rather spend the money on a $250k G wagon :)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am too careless to buy overly expensive things. The one time I owned a small expensive designer purse (forget the brand but it was nowhere near Birkin $), it got stolen. The thief kept the cash and the bag...the rest of the contents were found in a nearby trash can.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
@Madam Bijoux , are you my second cousin? I have a second cousin who has Birkins in every color imaginable!

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I love my Kelly25 and Constance18. They make my usually simple outfits look more polished. The burning is too impractical for me as I need my handbags to me hands free.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sorry about auto correct. I mean *the birkin is nothing for me as I need my handbags to be handsfree.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I‘d choose Kelly over Birkin. So classic.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry about auto correct. I mean *the birkin is nothing for me as I need my handbags to be handsfree.

I'm cornfused.
Wouldn't a hands-free handbag just be called ... a free?

cornfused.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm cornfused.
Wouldn't a hands-free handbag just be called ... a free?

cornfused.gif

Cross body pocketbook keeping one's hands free. Here you go Kenny.

chanelcrossbody.jpg
My vintage Chanel crossbody.

Ditto. I have been only wearing cross body bags for years now because it is much more practical for my lifestyle.

I think the smaller Birkins are so charming, but they are ridiculously expensive and hard to get. If I had a chance to buy one around the $3K range, I would. At $10K, I would get jewelry.

I'd rather carry a $500 purse and put the $5k toward jewelry. It all has to do with what you value, and I suppose unlimited money is helpful!

Same. I would take that money and use it for bling. But of course one's mileage varies and there is no right or wrong here. So if someone wants and can afford a Birkin and likes the look and use of it I say go for it. If it adds joy to one's life and one can afford it why not? We each have our preferences and some like fancy cars, some like beautiful bling, some like Birkins. It's all good if one can do it.

These days, I’m pretty much using theft proof travel purses with RFID protection because I’ve gotten sick of my credit card numbers getting stolen. The bank said there is no way of knowing how it happens, but since I started using rfid purses and wallets and DH the credit card protectors, we haven’t had an incident.

I also like that the purses are fairly cheap and they don’t look branded, so I guess I’m getting old because I no longer want purses that draw attention to themselves.

Also, many of them have a side pocket for a water bottle or umbrella. Lol. I am getting old.

I like this. Thanks for linking it. Going to check it out. Not getting old as much as getting wiser IMO. We all are.

My friend and I were walking around our neighborhood in March and a cyclist rode up and snatched her pocketbook. Luckily for us we weren't hurt (he was going fast and came super close) and luckily all she had in the pocketbook were her keys. But she wasn't wearing a cross body like I was so probably that's why she was targeted and I wasn't. Her bag was just on her shoulder while mine was across my body. Of course that doesn't mean a criminal wouldn't try and then I could have gotten hurt and pulled down but it was the first time something like that happened to us and at first we were like no what just happened. Ugh. It was the beginning of the pandemic and things were awry all over.

@doberman If you are in love with the Birkin and think it would work for your lifestyle definitely consider it. Life is too short and challenging not to get what you want if you can afford it and you think it would add some joy.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
I'm too frugal to spend that kind of money on a bag. To me that sort of money is better spent on jewelry, gems or holidays if it's going to be discretionary spending or on an investment of some sort.

However, if this is your thing and you have the funds to buy it, then go for it.

I am very minimalist when it comes to bags - I only own three of them - a black backpack (I'm talking a proper framed day pack for hiking), a black crossbody bag and a sturdy dark navy blue denim tote bag for taking to the shops to avoid using plastic bags when buying things other than food. Of course I have the reusable bags for grocery shopping but they don't count.

Out of all Hermes bags I definitely like the look of the Birkin the most but I find the price eye watering and I don’t enjoy the “games”, so I don’t think I’d ever buy one. The only things I really like at Hermes are the scarves and the Birkins, but I’d have to buy a lot of scarves before becoming Birkin eligible so... my favorite high end bag brands are LV and Chanel, and I’m slowly developing a taste for Gucci and YSL as well, though my current handbag collection is very small in general. It is an iconic bag so if you’re in a position to get your hands on one, I would say it’s quite worth it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Out of all Hermes bags I definitely like the look of the Birkin the most but I find the price eye watering and I don’t enjoy the “games”, so I don’t think I’d ever buy one. The only things I really like at Hermes are the scarves and the Birkins, but I’d have to buy a lot of scarves before becoming Birkin eligible so... my favorite high end bag brands are LV and Chanel, and I’m slowly developing a taste for Gucci and YSL as well, though my current handbag collection is very small in general. It is an iconic bag so if you’re in a position to get your hands on one, I would say it’s quite worth it!

Their perfume is glorious imo. Especially their Hermessence line. Yummmm.

I’m with you on the games re getting a Birkin. Not for me.

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
I absolutely love my birkins -- the style is just perfect. I was one of the fortunate people who never had to deal with games. My first purchase from a boutique was an ostrich birkin and I got a barenia shortly after that, without making any other purchases. As much as I love them, though, I would not have spent the money if the store made me feel like a desperate supplicant. It's a lot of money, and it should be a happy experience!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results