clarity

Bill Cosby...what's next

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How can you be a "consenting adult" when you have been given a powerful drug? I agree with WW though. Its too bad this case
wasnt tried back in the time frame it happened.

FYI...not a lawyer and dont know all the details of the case

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO it's a huge travesty that rape has a statute of limitations. There should be no time limit to prosecute rape.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
We are easily convinced that Cosby deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison because of the number of victims with similar stories, but it's unsurprising that the jury didn't think they could convict. Their decision didn't come easily, probably because many thought he was guilty.

I'm unsure about another trial unless there is new evidence or more victims are allowed to testify, establishing a pattern, but maybe they could get him in a second trial. It does happen. Was the exact split ever reported?

As to no statute of limitations for rape, I have my doubts. Of course, I don't fault the women for not coming forward sooner. They had very understandable reasons for not doing so. One that really stands out to me is that I think each was unaware of other victims so didn't expect to be believed against such a beloved and powerful man.

My reservation about trying rape cases multiple decades later is that it makes both prosecuting a case or defending the accused shaky. It also doesn't encourage victims to come forward sooner, which is so important. There must be better solutions to stopping such terrible crimes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AnnaH I understand the reasons for having a statute of limitation on rape crimes but I wholeheartedly disagree with them. There is no statute of limitation on murder and there should be (IMO) no statute of limitation on crimes as horrendous as rape. The witnesses for murders that happened a long time ago are not more likely to be reliable than any other witness to crimes that may have happened a long time ago. That is why we have juries who can hopefully weed out what is helpful and what is not. And if they don't find reliable evidence after many years then so be it but at least let's allow the opportunity to prosecute crimes years later. Simply saying the victims should come forward earlier is not a solution IMO and a crime like rape should not have a time time limit for justice.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, I'm can't say I'm surprised at the verdict.:(

We have had a number of high profile cases in the U.K. against 'celebrities' in a similar vein, I.e. decades after the event, and for exactly the same reasons. I agree with @missy that there should be no statute of limitations, women who have undergone violent assaults live with it forever, they never really get over the trauma.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Although I agree that rape is horrible, there is benefit to treating murder as even worse.
Unfortunately, many rape cases are "he said she said." A lengthy passage of time clouds memories. While I don't think false accusations are common, they do happen. In those cases, I think the passage of time would place the innocent defendant at too great a disadvantage.
But I understand your point, Missy.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also feel there should be no statue of limitations on Rape. Seems very unfair that you can cause lasting harm to a person and if you haven't been charged within a certain number years you are free and clear. Also keep in mind most rapists have more than one victim and less than half of all rapes are reported. In my case 15 years later some things came to light that made a detective and a rape counselor pretty sure this was the person who raped me. There was nothing I could do because the statue of limitations was up.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
His celebrity won the day for him I'm afraid. The prosecution never mentioned to the jury the fact Ms. Constand is gay ( not sure why). Throws the "sex was consensual" defense out. We'll see what happens at his next trial. I hope the prosecutor brings more accusers in to testify. Maybe there will be a plea deal before a retrial. And what's with Camille's blistering statement against the prosecution and judge? This lady has some serious denial going on, or wierd entitlement. Geez Louise!

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure how big a problem this is now, but not so long ago, there were many jurisdictions that had huge backlogs of untested rape kits. This contributed to the clock running out on cases. So frustrating.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @Calliecake, I'm so very sorry this happened to you :(

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I also feel there should be no statue of limitations on Rape. Seems very unfair that you can cause lasting harm to a person and if you haven't been charged within a certain number years you are free and clear. Also keep in mind most rapists have more than one victim and less than half of all rapes are reported. In my case 15 years later some things came to light that made a detective and a rape counselor pretty sure this was the person who raped me. There was nothing I could do because the statue of limitations was up.

Oh Callie, that makes me so angry on your behalf. I absolutely agree with you that rape should have no statute of limitations.

The Cosby situation is appalling. My god, the fact that his wife is still with him - I can't even imagine.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry calliecake...I too dont think the statue of limitations should run out even if it might be harder to prove...let the survivor have their day
in court!

And horse hocky to these judges that give out probation and minimal sentences!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was stunned to find out that the statue of limitations was 2 years in the state I lived in at the that time. There was another woman who they felt had been raped by the same man who raped me about 6 months after I was attacked. That poor woman spent over two weeks in the hospital for her injuries and the detective said she would not be going home afterward but would be spending time in a psych hospital. There should be no statue of limitations. It really pisses me off everytime they showed Crosby's smug face. He has no remorse for anything he has done.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can not believe 2 years Callie...2 years is nothing when it comes to an investigation, etc. They make it sound like if he is not caught right away
then oh well. Just awful!:snooty: Has it been upped in your state?

I dont even know what it is in my state...just looked it up. In 2015 it was doubled from 4 to 8 years for adults but get this...no statue of limitation
for rape of 16 and under. While I'm happy that 16 and under get the no-statue, why do they have to limit it to 16 and under?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many reasons survivors of rape take a long time to come forward or not at all. Using it to discount their courage when seeking justice is what happened here and all over the world.

"Well why didn't you say anything?"

"I didn't think anyone would believe me."

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tyty, I live in Illinois and years ago it was 2 years. They have since changed the law. The rape now has to be reported within 3 years and they have 10 years to take tthe case to court.

I contacted the police immediately, was taken to the hospital by paramedics and a rape kit was performed at the hospital. The police officers were at my apartment and at the hospital. The hospital had a rape crisis counselor with me at the hospital. At the time I had no idea there was a statue of limitations on rape cases. FIve years later one of my co workers wives called me at work and implied repeatedly that her husband was the man who raped, I contacted the police detectives who had worked on the case and they came to where I worked right away. The man I worked with was out of the office that day on company business. I was told that the satute of limitations was up after 2 years. The man could give a full confession and they could not do a thing. I remember feeling so sick that I did everything I possibly could to help them so if they found the guy he wouldn't be able to hurt another woman only to find out in 2 years he was free and clear even if he admitted it was him. The man I worked with did not rape me. His wife was mentally ill and had quit taking her medicine. The police did talk to him with me present. They wanted to know if I felt it was him. Looking back this seems so crazy to me now. What the heck would have happened if I felt it was him?

The man who raped me told me if he would come back and kill me if I called the police. And they wonder why half the rape cases aren't reported.

Last edited:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I agree with all of you who said or think that Bill Cosby is one smug bast*** and one terrible human being. IMO it is mind boggling how his wife is staying with him. Shows who she is too.:blackeye:

Old links but I just read it now. Disappointing is an understatement. This man is a predator in the truest sense of the word.:knockout::blackeye::(

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/05/bill-cosby-deposition-teenagers

http://josephcphillips.com/2015/07/of-course-bill-cosby-is-guilty/

Missy I read the article you posted by Joseph Phillips when it came out 2 years ago. I found it provocative and very disturbing. What kind of arrogant predator shields himself behind his celebrity persona? Bill Cosby. I realized he's guilty as sin. He's a piece of s**t for turning the tables on his accusers. Demeaning them again by calling them liars. This serial rapist is duping the public because people can't separate an actor's characters from the real person. I pray he is found guilty the next time around. And for all the women he abused, I pray for you too.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 7.45.46 PM.png

This serial rapist is duping the public because people can't separate an actor's characters from the real person.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate TV?
TV makes us stupid, which explains why we have Cheeto, and also Cheetos, the poison America loves to eat. :nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

Last edited:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Callie, you were very brave and brave again in discussing your ordeal.

My statement is meant only as a compliment to Callie, not as a criticism of anyone reading who made a different choice. It's easy to understand why rape is often unreported.

We need many changes to our justice system. More resources need to go to violent crimes such as rape rather than relatively minor crimes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire I agree completely. Bill Cosby is a piece of garbage. The lowest of the low. I used to watch and love the Cosby Show and admire who I thought Bill Cosby was. I was so sad to learn of who he really is all these decades later. However if we can realize it and see the truth right in front of us why can't so many others see who he is? Mind boggling. Separating the public character/persona from the real person. I guess as a society we can really be that dumb.:blackeye:

AnnaH I agree. We need many changes to our justice system and in fact from what I know (which admittedly is not much) there is change needed to many of the justice systems all over the world. That does not change the fact that violent crime needs to be able to be prosecuted with no time limit. Things don't always fall in place right away as Callie's example sadly illustrates.

To all of you who still think there should be a statute of limitation on rape, that the victim doesn't deserve her/his day in court no matter how long it takes for justice to be served, well there is nothing left for me to say. :(

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm grateful that in Canada there is no statute of limitations on indictable offences. I hope they retry him!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you callie for discussing your case. I know it cant be easy. Even 3 years is not enough for reporting IMO (better though). I just dont know why
any limit has to be put on it. What if they rape someone 11 years later, get the DNA, and find out it was the same person??? Does your case not count
anymore? Hardly! Who are the limits protecting (and why)?

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Victims of violence are certainly deserving of justice. There's no argument there. Unfortunately, under our current system, too often there is no justice.

Resources must be prioritized. Maybe sometimes the problem is prioritizing too little, rather than too much. An example is law enforcement's focus on common teen sexuality competing with a focus on violent attacks against teens and others. We need to help teens make better decisions, but it's not always appropriate to criminalize their behavior.

As to reporting a crime, the sooner it's reported the more likely a successful case can be made. Again, that's no criticism of rape victims who report later or not at all. People do what they do to survive. They aren't just victims but survivors, no small feat.

Lawmakers talk about reforming the criminal justice system. It needs reform in several areas. Hopefully, it will actually happen.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
I've read that having DNA is an exception to the statute of limitations in some states. I don't know which ones.

We naturally are passionate about victims of crime, but the accused has rights, too.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Cosby case really grinds my gears. He is an arrogant sick predator of women. I've served on two juries in my life. I know what goes on during deliberations. It seems one or two couldn't convict due to reasonable doubt. 6 days spent trying to confince the hold out/s to change their mind. "Reasonable doubt" hanging over their heads. No real evidence (DNA), basically a he said, she said. The prosecution couldn't mention the 50 or 60 other accusers. His deposition was damning but still not enough. Knowing he's "probably" guilty, but not enough evidence in THIS case to convict. I hope his career is permanently over. And there are people (Phylicia Rashad for one) who say it's all a conspiracy to take down Bill Cosby. He's the victim not the victimizer. Sorry for my rant, but this is an outrage!

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even with the statute of limitations on rape, there should be no statute of limitations of giving unknown victims Quaalude, is It? People can die from this stuff. I guess it is hard to prove :(

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results