shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD Repair Problems. Ring isn’t worth repairing after its very first repair.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paxonator, I never really noticed those things that are a tiny bit « off » until I started visiting Pricescope!
Now when I have something set I have to be sure it passes the perfection test under magnification. Ugh. Down the rabbit hole, as they say. LOL

Sorry I don’t have a useful comment on your issue. At one time or another I have have both good and not so good interactions with vendors. Some I will never use again, and others I’ve made peace with. Things do get get annoying at times, so I hope it resolves for you.

Last edited:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking to see if others felt the same about BGD claiming having to fix a ring all the time, and now damaged forever prematurely. I feel many posts are looking at me wanting it fixed for free which is not the case so I just want to clear things up that is not about the cost of repair. It is about the statement that it may not be worth it as they have to keep repairing it, when they've only repaired the ring once.

That is what I would like to hear your stance on.

Yet I notice you aren’t replying to those of us who do address that issue and say we agree with BGD that it may not be worth it to repair. You are looking only for people to agree with you, but you’re likely not going to get that.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking to see if others felt the same about BGD claiming having to fix a ring all the time, and now damaged forever prematurely. I feel many posts are looking at me wanting it fixed for free which is not the case so I just want to clear things up that is not about the cost of repair. It is about the statement that it may not be worth it as they have to keep repairing it, when they've only repaired the ring once.

So then just to confirm, you were looking for other PSers to join you in your complaint against the original vendor because a meleè stone got lost after 7 years of rough wear and after being worked on by another jeweler? Sure, sounds legit. I actually think that BGD have been very generous with their offering to repair the damage for you even though a number of other reasons have contributed to the stone becoming loose. You even saw that locally, you were quoted $140 to repair the damage. Not sure how is it that you expect BGD to cover the shipping and fix the issue for free? Also, your original setting is not even the BGD brand. I applaud them for standing behind a product they no longer even sell, but if you want to address your complaints to someone, H.Levy&Co. is probably the more appropriate vendor, since this is their e-ring setting & bands. I also agree with others that the soldering job seems to be of inferior quality as well. All in, I hope that you can see that you are not being very reasonable and also that this is a very small issue - get it fixed, and if it happens again, cross that bridge when you get there. Not all settings are meant to last forever and not all rings are meant to be worn all the time.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don’t think they are trying to Upsell you. They have been in the business a long time and once pave starts falling out, you have a problem.

The rings are beat up for 7 years of wear. The soldering done wasn’t great. Is this the same jeweler who is telling you no problem, just $140 fix?

I only wear my rings at certain points of the day (my asscher has the pave). I don’t do anything physical with it on. I don’t sleep with it on. I don’t bathe or shower with it on. Etc, I baby that ring because I want it to last.

So to get back to your question: there is nothing wrong with what Lesley said. You didn’t buy the bands from her anyway. She isn’t forcing you to do anything. It sounds like it was a suggestion that she can’t make you do. I don’t recall you saying she said any replacement should be done through them.

So either replace the bands in Canada or get it fixed by someone in Canada, but don’t be surprised if you get it fixed if more stones fall out.

Paxonator

Rough_Rock
Thank you for you replies everyone. I guess I wasn't expecting a ring to be written off like that easily. Have a happy new year!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This post isn't about free repair or shipping. The line sentence right after that states if there is a cost we would have waited until its next service date to have the stone repaired.

It's about saying the ring isn't worth fixing without even an inspection as to why it came out.

As @distracts mentioned in a previous post, pave isn't really good for 24 hour wear - actually, that's not a great idea for any rings with prongs. The prongs are tiny and delicate, and once one of the pave set stones falls out and has to be repaired, there is a higher likelihood of others meeting the same fate. Eventually, you'll spend a good bit of time and money fixing these. This is why BGD suggested it may be better in the long run if you replace it.

That said, if she likes to wear it all the time (which you said she does), then I would strongly advise against pave set diamonds for any of the rings. A bezel or 6+ prong setting would be the safest, sturdiest setting for the center diamond. Same goes for wedding bands... bezel is safest. Also, I would try not to solder them together if possible. Hope this helps!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The ring looks pretty beat up - which I get, because I can be hard on rings as well. That's one of the reasons I changed from a blinged out halo with TONS of pave to a 6 prong solitaire... and I take them off immediately when I get home, never cook, clean, or do other activities that would likely cause damage while wearing them.

Wearing rings 24/7 will always make them prone to damage much sooner than if they were not worn all the time. So it's not an issue of damage that is premature.

I don't think anyone is under the impression that you want them fixed for free... they (BGD and PS members) are telling you that the rings will continue to have damage, so it may be a better idea to replace than to keep spending time and money on repairs for a ring that will continue to have problems.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes this is my wife, she didn't take this ring off for anything. She now wears it less which is disappointing because she loves it so much.

I really wish when you had bought your ring people had helped set your expectations about a pave ring. Pave rings are less durable than solitaires or channel set bands. They should not be worn all the time. No wearing when sleeping, doing housework, yardwork, dishes, exercising, carrying heavy things, etc. All of those things put strain on the metal and over time it adds up and weakens the ring. Then when they start to lose stones, it is not uncommon for the ring to need to be replaced entirely. Repairing puts more strain on the ring, and with pave, no repair is ever going to be as good as it was when it was new. It sucks that you weren’t expecting that and didn’t know it was the case, but it doesn’t mean anything nefarious or upselly is going on with BGD.

If your wife wants to wear her ring all the time, I suggest you switch to a solitaire or ring with channel or bezel set sidestones, which are wear-all-the-time styles and significantly more durable than pave.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for you replies everyone. I guess I wasn't expecting a ring to be written off like that easily. Have a happy new year!

Maybe think about it a different way ... it is 7 years old, well-worn and poorly soldered by a local jeweler. Your wife apparently wore the rings 24/7, and you don't say anything about annual inspections. Lesley's comments to you about considering a new setting is an alert that it may not be cost-effective to repair the rings in their present configuration and condition. There are always people who will take your money to do a quick fix, and you should understand a $140 piecemeal repair by your local jeweler will be a temporary fix only; it won't make the rings secure enough to wear 24/7 for another 7 months let alone another 7 years.

Budgets are always an issue, and sometimes people don't realize the extra care and attention that pave bands require ... maybe it is best for you to have the repair done locally and just see how things go ... when the diamond melee pop out of the ring or the soldered bands get loose, maybe take another look at whether it is worth pouring more money in the existing rings. Maybe save up so at your 10-year anniversary you can re-set the diamond into a new setting and start a new routine of annual inspections by a jeweler you trust.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the pictures it looks like there are several issues contributing to the problem. The rings are bending, suggesting that they are being exposed to a lot of constant torquing forces, probably from constant wear and the wear and tear that this results in. The soldered wedding bands are also likely contributing to the bending of the e-ring, as they are not aligned well. I know jewelers will tell you that soldering reduces wear and tear, but if the fit or alignment is poor this will not be the case. Plus, pave is fragile (relatively speaking) and often doesn’t hold up as well as other styles. I think what they are gently trying to tell you is that in their experience, once these issues start to occur, you will be doing repair after repair, and that it will probably cost you less in the long run to replace the setting rather than fix it. This is likely based on their years of experience in addition to their assessment of the condition of the ring when you sent it in the first time. I honestly think they are trying to spare you spending more money on fixes than it would cost to replace.

Plus, there’s no obligation to buy the new setting from them. You could probably find the same setting elsewhere and have someone else reset the center stone. I would, however, suggest avoiding using whoever soldered the rings again. That was pretty bad work for a relatively simple job, so I would not trust them with the delicate work of repairing pave.

Paxonator

Rough_Rock
The ring looks pretty beat up - which I get, because I can be hard on rings as well. That's one of the reasons I changed from a blinged out halo with TONS of pave to a 6 prong solitaire... and I take them off immediately when I get home, never cook, clean, or do other activities that would likely cause damage while wearing them.

Wearing rings 24/7 will always make them prone to damage much sooner than if they were not worn all the time. So it's not an issue of damage that is premature.

I don't think anyone is under the impression that you want them fixed for free... they (BGD and PS members) are telling you that the rings will continue to have damage, so it may be a better idea to replace than to keep spending time and money on repairs for a ring that will continue to have problems.

Thanks for this response. You assured me that you understood my problem, other members kept beating the warranty horse.

I never knew rings with pave stones shouldn't be worn all the time. I just see them around like her fathers which he has worn everyday since he got it. With no stones lost. I guess I'll talk to her and see what she wants to do about her ring.

I guess I wished while purchasing from Lesley she would have educated me a little more on the precautions to take with pave settings. Oh well, I guess we won't worry about it to much.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear my rings 24/7 and have for 25 years!! If I were you there I’d have your local guy replace the lost stone and just keep enjoying the rings!

I had the same thought as @motownmama - I know to a lot of PS'ers getting a new setting isn't a big deal but to some the original has a lot of sentimental value. I'd like to see the OP's wife keep her original ering if at all possible.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I just see them around like her fathers which he has worn everyday since he got it. With no stones lost.

It is possible, as there are quite a few ways to do pave.

I keep seeing platinum diamond bands made in the 1930 - ish, worn down ! [Pt!] & bent & no stone replament, but the stones tend to be fitted into seats, with rims of metal protecting the edges. The same is done today, as long as anyone pays for the [nonsensical] labours.

Last edited:

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP, I have read many of the replies to your problem and there are some good ones.
In regards to Lesley at BGD, perhaps she is saying in very kind words, the ring you are sending back after the soldering job, 7 years old, and has had the crap beaten out if it, is a piece of junk now. Now she did not say it in those words but perhaps that is reality. I am not clear why you think that she should pay shipping, she is doing you a favor to repair the ring, even though someone else did a lousy job on it, and voided the warranty.

Let me also add I had a similar problem with my wife’s ER, sort of similar. Originally when I gave the ER to her in 2006 it was in a solitaire setting. About 5 years later I had another jeweler change the setting into a halo. You can see it in my avatar. Well, to be honest, and hope my wife does not read this post, she beats the hell out of her jewelry. I bought her WB at a local jeweler and when 2 stones popped out from the eternity band, he showed it to me under a microscope. It looked like a jack hammer had been hitting the ring. Because it was his ring, he replaced the entire ring at an unbelievable price I could not turn down.

Back to my wife’s ER. She also had the halo about 7 years, had to send it back to the jeweler a few times because a few of the pave fell out, remember she beats the hell out of her rings. Well after about 5 round trips back to the jeweler and the ring was also our of round, he also suggested replacing the entire ring. We did it. Also, my insurance company paid for the work. If you do put thru insurance don‘t say it was normal wear and tear, that is excluded, tell them it was damaged and the jeweler when the local or BGD will have to sing the same song to the insurance carrier.

Good luck.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I didn't realize when I got my first "real" rings I also wore them 24/7, because I loved them so much! And someone on this forum mentioned how sleeping with rings is actually hard on them because they are rubbing on the sheets, etc. Oops! So now other than things like plain bands, I take off rings when I go to bed, washing dishes, etc.

L

lydial

Just buy the woman a new ring set please! Being negative will not make either of you happy. This ring set seems to be causing you to have a lot lot lot of negativity. The rings are just too fragile for her lifestyle. Be generous and get her something strong and well made and more appropriate for her needs please. Happy New Year!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Paxonator, I hope your wife can get a new setting made. It would be good to get the setting made as one piece rather than having it soldered. Pave can be made a little sturdier if it is not super small. I am sure you could find a way to make it stronger without changing the look too much.
My ring is 10 years old, super delicate pave and definitely out of round. I don't sleep or do much with it on, but obviously have done something to cause it damage. I love the look, but I also love a solitaire. I hope you and your wife can find something that will make you both happy. I think what you have experienced is pretty common and you would find with most vendors. People are hard on their rings for a number of reasons and vendors can't keep repairing a piece over and over.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Besides all the conversations on here, I'd like to add add my experience. My husband had a beautiful shared prong full custom eternity made as a surprise on the birth of our final child, by a VERY reputable UK jeweller. I have a 3 ring set, as per my avatar, and rarely take them off. The pear comes off for sleep or physical jobs, the other mostly stay on. My eternity went off round 4 times in less than 4 years. I had a fantastic local bench re-shape it 3 times & on the 4th time they suggested I sent it back to the manufacturer. So this I did. They sent the ring away to the London Assay Office for tests & found the platinum had porosity issues & wasn't strong. BUT.... because I had a third party 'touch' the ring on 3 occasions, my warranty was void, my ring was unwearable & therefore ultimately, it was worthless. Like WHAT??! £2,400 of ring, worthless. Yep!!

I ended up having an amazing jeweller remake the ring for me into a sturdy channel setting with no cleaning holes, as per avatar. I had to pay £900 for the pleasure. In the 5 years of constant wear since, I have had no issues, but if I did, it wouldn't go to ANYONE except the guy who made it.

I have no idea what may have happened to your wife's rings (which are beautiful btw) but I know pave is fairly delicate & can domino once a stone falls out. Seven years of constant wear is enough to knock those delicate pave beads around a little.

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice, but did want to tell you my cautionary tale about having a third party do anything to somebody else's work.

I hope you can find a happy solution & outcome to this, as I know how distressing it is to have your wedding rings damaged (I lost my pear from it's original setting twice, was lucky to find it, had my fab local bench make it's sturdy new ring & only he inspects it each year) and each time I cried. Good luck with your repairs.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never knew rings with pave stones shouldn't be worn all the time. I just see them around like her fathers which he has worn everyday since he got it. With no stones lost. I guess I'll talk to her and see what she wants to do about her ring.

I guess I wished while purchasing from Lesley she would have educated me a little more on the precautions to take with pave settings. Oh well, I guess we won't worry about it to much.

A man’s ring is likely to have a lot more metal than a woman’s ring which will make it more durable over all. Of course I don’t know what her father’s ring looks like. Pave is pretty unusual for a man’s ring.

Jewelers usually don’t give you precautionary info except in a handout or on their website, or advise which settings they sell are too delicate for hard wear, unless you ask. For a long time, sturdier rings were the most common styles and so no warnings would be needed, and now that skinny bands and pave are in style, the industry hasn't found a way to manage expectations. It's annoying but unfortunately most jewelers aren't any different in this regard. Not sure that they'll ever start warning people either, given that most people I know with gold rings don't know you're not supposed to wear them in pools/hot tubs because chlorine makes gold brittle, and that has been the case forever. And we here on PS don't give many warnings either, probably assuming people did their research. I expect given the start time of the delicate pave trend, over the next few years we'll see more and more people coming here with the same problem. At the end of the day, delicate-looking jewelry actually IS delicate.

If you get a new ring, I'd recommend bezel set or six prongs on the main stone, plus channel set or bezel set sidestones and bands. You can get mostly the same look with a lot more durability. Sholdt would be a good brand to look at. Something like this would be well-suited to wearing the ring all the time (but three-stone like you have now). Cross Jewelers has a specific section geared toward "wear all the time" rings. As you can see, not one single one is pave.

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A slight correction if I may. :) Just for the sake of acccuracy and because my old chem prof wouldn't have let it pass.

"because chlorine makes gold brittle "

Chlorine makes gold alloy brittle by eating away the other metals used in the mix and leaving microscopic holes throughout. It doesn't do anything to the actual gold.

I seem to recall reading a couple of years ago that you can almost dissolve a 10K gold ring in bleach in less than 2 days.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Do yourself a favor and buy your wife a new ring. It will save you a lot of time, money and aggravation in the future. Judging by how you're reacting to such a minor issue - I would say you need all the stress relief you can get!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To the OP I would say that you don't necessarily have to give up on the original rings. Find a really good local jeweler and have the rings re-furbished and get some warranty period on the repairs. You may not have another problem for a long time.

Yours are not micropave with the ultra tiny prongs that can easily be damaged. And having the rings soldered together should actually help them to not bend, which is also a big reason why delicate pave rings can lose stones.

For others reading the thread, most (if not all) jewelry warranties are voided if work is performed by any other than the merchant offering the warranty - for obvious reasons. Also, warranties that exclude "defective materials or workmanship" are of questionable value as these things are always debatable.

Here is some good news (at least for people shopping for new jewelry): Jewelers Mutual has recently launched a Lifetime Care Plan that covers ALL issues resulting from wear and tear and aging. It is available for a one-time fee for new purchases only, and it can be a real source of peace of mind - especially for delicate or intricate designs with pave. It is not the same as a personal jewelry insurance policy which includes protection against loss, theft or mysterious disappearance, but it covers just about everything else. But unlike insurance, you don't have to pay every year to keep it in force!

JM had previously offered a 3-year Care Plan and now have added the Lifetime option (at a higher one-time cost based on total value) . I don't know of any other companies offering such protection. It is certainly worth considering if you are in the market for a new piece.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results