shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD Recut Stone #1 Complete!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have received the first of my two inherited stones that I sent to Brian Gavin for recutting (as discussed in a previous thread). It is now a 2.31ct, H, VVS2, Brian Gavin Signature Hearts and Arrows branded stone. I'm over the moon for every element of this journey: The diamond, the mounting, and the SERVICE. The diamond is spectacular. The setting is the Classic 6-prong Solitaire in 14k from CLIQ, the rings that open up for a perfect fit. And the service I have received from Brian Gavin Diamonds has been amazing. Jamie, Lesley, and Brian have all been closely and actively involved from start to finish on this, and their professionalism, follow-through, and kindness has been extraordinary. A recut is a total leap of faith, as well as having a ring set to one's liking from afar, and they have been phenomenal with the "hand-holding" and reassurance that I needed! They've treated me as if I was one of their best customers yet this is the first transaction I've had with them and I didn't even outright purchase a diamond... I did 2 recuts with mountings (but I plan to purchase also!). My husband has been equally impressed with their level of service. I don't know if my file with the AGS lab report will post so, if not, here are the specs:
Table 57.4%
Crown Height 14.2%
Pavilion Depth 43.1%
Total Depth 60.1%
Girdle Thin to Medium
Crown Angle 33.7
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Lower Half 78%
Star 51%
Without further ado, here it is:
Here's a little video they made to demonstrate how the CLIQ ring works
BrianGavin_6Prong_LHelman1_030720.jpg BrianGavin_6Prong_LHelman2_030720.jpg BrianGavin_6Prong_LHelman3_030720.jpg BrianGavin_6Prong_LHelman4_030720.jpg
1584492868908.jpeg

Attachments

• AGS Report 2.310 cts.PDF
    635.9 KB · Views: 32

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kicken! congrates!

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Exciting journey congrats !

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring!. Congrats! . What is the advantage of a CLIQ setting?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
@Dancing Fire it's for those with large knuckles. They have to go for a ring size to get the ring over their knuckles and then the ring is too big and spins. Or they force the ring on and then it's a painful nightmare to get off. This way it actually fits their ring size. I'm sure this is great for lots of people including those with arthritis in their hands.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
This is so amazing. Will you have before and after pictures of the diamond do you think?

Also I love that solitaire setting, I cannot wait until you are able to photobomb us with pictures. :D How discrete is the mechanism?

Sounds like such great customer service especially over something that must have been extremely nerve wracking! How long has it taken?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@Dancing Fire it's for those with large knuckles. They have to go for a ring size to get the ring over their knuckles and then the ring is too big and spins. Or they force the ring on and then it's a painful nightmare to get off. This way it actually fits their ring size. I'm sure this is great for lots of people including those with arthritis in their hands.

Yes! And it’s coincidental, because yesterday another thread was started about CLIQ that I’ve participated in.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
This is so amazing. Will you have before and after pictures of the diamond do you think?

Also I love that solitaire setting, I cannot wait until you are able to photobomb us with pictures. :D How discrete is the mechanism?

Sounds like such great customer service especially over something that must have been extremely nerve wracking! How long has it taken?
There are posts on a previous thread with before and afters with scope images and sarins. I will try to add that to this thread tomorrow (later today, Thursday).

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
There are posts on a previous thread with before and afters with scope images and sarins. I will try to add that to this thread tomorrow (later today, Thursday).

Yeah I think I have seen them actually... You were having two diamonds recut right? It would be lovely to have the info here, but later today when I have time I'll see if I can get into your other threads. =) Maybe I even commented... And if I didn't then shame on me because this process is fascinating!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice!! Congratulations :))

headlight

Ideal_Rock

Forgot to answer your other questions!
The mechanism is very discrete and if you get one with an embellished shank it’s that much more discreet. No one has asked me, “What’s that on the side of your ring?” and I’ve had my avatar one for 13 months now. It is so discreet that I actually have to put on my glasses to see it or do it by feel! Also, you can do a retrofit of an existing mounting which I had done by my local jeweler on a mounting for a diamond I no longer own. It was a highly embellished Beverley K with all the bells and whistles: Pave’, engraving, halo, milgrain, scrollwork and that jeweler was able to match the retrofitted part with the CLIQ mechanism to have the milgrain, pave’, etc., even around the mechanism, so lots of options with CLIQ.
YES, the service I received from Brian Gavin Diamonds was amazing. The recut takes about 6 weeks or so and I know this is standard because when I had my local jeweler do a recut for me on that stone I no longer own it was a similar timeline. Actually, on that note, I went to Brian Gavin for the recuts because when I did the previous recut with my local jeweler, I was not made privy to any of the process nor details. It was like a big secret. I was not provided any images. And when the stone came back I wasn’t even provided any specs. With Brian Gavin, I was provided scope images with sarins of the before, projected, and then the final images. Brian wanted to speak to me many times which blew me away as I figured I would never have the opportunity to speak to a 5th generation master diamond cutter who also is the person that was basically on the forefront of super ideals, as well as the creator of a patented process. My husband is in a different industry that involves getting patents and they are not easy to get so the fact that he has one is phenomenal. The first call from him was because he wanted to formally introduce himself which I thought was absolutely lovely that it was important to him that I know who I’ve sent my large and very clean stones to that were a gift to me by father who had recently passed, the diamonds were my grandmother’s. I was not comfortable wearing such large stones (over 2.5cts in each ear!). So I decided to break them up... one for a ring and one for a pendant. Brian said if I should decide I want to make them a matched pair again, he can recut the larger of the 2 to match the smaller one so I still have that option and they would still be over 2cts in each ear! These stones were cut many decades ago so the cutting wasn’t great by today’s standards, although when I wore them as earrings (that’s what they were previously), I always received compliments on how amazing they were but both their internal and optical symmetry were a nightmare! Then Brian wanted to keep me updated on the process each step of the way: after initial eval was done, after cutting was complete, and after lab reports came back. After the recut process, it’s no more than like a couple weeks for grading. And then the stone was sent to CLIQ to be made to specifically to fit the proportions of my stone and set it. The CLIQ mounting for the stone in my avatar was ordered from CLIQ by my local jeweler and he also set the stone. I don’t even know if he had them make it for that particular diamond... I recall the local jeweler telling me, “I’ll order an 8mm”, which tells me that the local jeweler didn’t take the time to get it right like BGD has done.
My new one that I did through BGD is so much nicer than the way the other one was done by my local jeweler, so much so that I’m thinking of having that one reset to be more like the one BGD did for me. Lesley was always on each task lightening fast... always getting on the logistics immediately. I was in no hurry for any of this but they treated my project as if I needed it to be ready for a special occasion, as if I was of their sole priority. And Jamie was amazing. Always promptly replying to my very lengthy emails with a million questions point by point. When I would call her, I was always greeted with such enthusiasm and kindness with her sweet voice (and I called a lot!), While I didn’t work directly with Emily, she sometimes answered when I called and she knew who I was and what the status of my project was at that moment. The people at CLIQ are fabulous - I had the pleasure of speaking with them directly when I was getting the mounting for my avatar stone because on the previous one my local jeweler retrofitted, he ordered the wrong size, it was too large, and I wanted to make sure he got it right. CLIQ was amazing with that. When I contacted them to say I was working with BGD on my recuts and that I was going to be getting another one of their mountings, they said something to the effect of, “Oh, I’m so glad you will be working with them (BGD), they’re great” which was really nice to hear, given this was going to be my first experience with BGD. You cannot order a mounting directly from CLIQ, you have to work with one of their authorized dealers. I don’t know if BGD will do mountings for stones one already owns that weren't purchased from them but if you do and are interested in a CLIQ mounting, I would suggest trying to do it through BGD. I have their classic 6 prong solitaire in white 14k, but they do plat as well as gold in all colors. They have a whole catalogue of styles, with and without side stones.
Hope I’ve answered all your questions!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone, beautiful mounting
And very very interesting subjects! Thank you for sharing

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful outcome for sure! What a special project with your inherited stones. I also thank you for the Cliq recommendation. I really should look into them, but it would be a lot to retrofit my rings. And I have a love of eternity bands. Still happy to know about them for future reference.
Enjoy your new ring! It’s a stunner.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to answer your other questions!
The mechanism is very discrete and if you get one with an embellished shank it’s that much more discreet. No one has asked me, “What’s that on the side of your ring?” and I’ve had my avatar one for 13 months now. It is so discreet that I actually have to put on my glasses to see it or do it by feel! Also, you can do a retrofit of an existing mounting which I had done by my local jeweler on a mounting for a diamond I no longer own. It was a highly embellished Beverley K with all the bells and whistles: Pave’, engraving, halo, milgrain, scrollwork and that jeweler was able to match the retrofitted part with the CLIQ mechanism to have the milgrain, pave’, etc., even around the mechanism, so lots of options with CLIQ.
YES, the service I received from Brian Gavin Diamonds was amazing. The recut takes about 6 weeks or so and I know this is standard because when I had my local jeweler do a recut for me on that stone I no longer own it was a similar timeline. Actually, on that note, I went to Brian Gavin for the recuts because when I did the previous recut with my local jeweler, I was not made privy to any of the process nor details. It was like a big secret. I was not provided any images. And when the stone came back I wasn’t even provided any specs. With Brian Gavin, I was provided scope images with sarins of the before, projected, and then the final images. Brian wanted to speak to me many times which blew me away as I figured I would never have the opportunity to speak to a 5th generation master diamond cutter who also is the person that was basically on the forefront of super ideals, as well as the creator of a patented process. My husband is in a different industry that involves getting patents and they are not easy to get so the fact that he has one is phenomenal. The first call from him was because he wanted to formally introduce himself which I thought was absolutely lovely that it was important to him that I know who I’ve sent my large and very clean stones to that were a gift to me by father who had recently passed, the diamonds were my grandmother’s. I was not comfortable wearing such large stones (over 2.5cts in each ear!). So I decided to break them up... one for a ring and one for a pendant. Brian said if I should decide I want to make them a matched pair again, he can recut the larger of the 2 to match the smaller one so I still have that option and they would still be over 2cts in each ear! These stones were cut many decades ago so the cutting wasn’t great by today’s standards, although when I wore them as earrings (that’s what they were previously), I always received compliments on how amazing they were but both their internal and optical symmetry were a nightmare! Then Brian wanted to keep me updated on the process each step of the way: after initial eval was done, after cutting was complete, and after lab reports came back. After the recut process, it’s no more than like a couple weeks for grading. And then the stone was sent to CLIQ to be made to specifically to fit the proportions of my stone and set it. The CLIQ mounting for the stone in my avatar was ordered from CLIQ by my local jeweler and he also set the stone. I don’t even know if he had them make it for that particular diamond... I recall the local jeweler telling me, “I’ll order an 8mm”, which tells me that the local jeweler didn’t take the time to get it right like BGD has done.
My new one that I did through BGD is so much nicer than the way the other one was done by my local jeweler, so much so that I’m thinking of having that one reset to be more like the one BGD did for me. Lesley was always on each task lightening fast... always getting on the logistics immediately. I was in no hurry for any of this but they treated my project as if I needed it to be ready for a special occasion, as if I was of their sole priority. And Jamie was amazing. Always promptly replying to my very lengthy emails with a million questions point by point. When I would call her, I was always greeted with such enthusiasm and kindness with her sweet voice (and I called a lot!), While I didn’t work directly with Emily, she sometimes answered when I called and she knew who I was and what the status of my project was at that moment. The people at CLIQ are fabulous - I had the pleasure of speaking with them directly when I was getting the mounting for my avatar stone because on the previous one my local jeweler retrofitted, he ordered the wrong size, it was too large, and I wanted to make sure he got it right. CLIQ was amazing with that. When I contacted them to say I was working with BGD on my recuts and that I was going to be getting another one of their mountings, they said something to the effect of, “Oh, I’m so glad you will be working with them (BGD), they’re great” which was really nice to hear, given this was going to be my first experience with BGD. You cannot order a mounting directly from CLIQ, you have to work with one of their authorized dealers. I don’t know if BGD will do mountings for stones one already owns that weren't purchased from them but if you do and are interested in a CLIQ mounting, I would suggest trying to do it through BGD. I have their classic 6 prong solitaire in white 14k, but they do plat as well as gold in all colors. They have a whole catalogue of styles, with and without side stones.
Hope I’ve answered all your questions!

This is an absolutely excellent, thoughtful and informative answer, thanks so much! It does look like a really beautiful ring and I'm really pleased your customer service was so outstanding. That makes such a significant difference. I currently don't have need for such a setting but I've seen many people on here express distress at their knuckle size so it's great there is a solution for them and also such a helpful review. Really looking forward to more pictures.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Really beautiful diamond and ring :kiss2: Congratulations :love::appl:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing all of the details of your experience. Your recut stone is stunningly beautiful. Even from the side; does it have a frosted girdle? And I love the subtle taper and classic look of your setting. All around gorgeous! Enjoy your heirloom diamond with a top notch cut!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow it’s simply gorgeous

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
It’s perfect! How wonderful to make something so meaningful even more beautiful!

lynahs1295

Shiny_Rock
that is really beautiful, congrats on having such a such a beautiful heirloom stone!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
GORGEOUS! A beautiful diamond and a classic and lovely setting. Thanks for the info about CLIQ, I wasn't aware of it but I sure do need that!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That diamond recut turned out beautifully! Congrats and enjoy your new ring! We have heard of these settings but not seen many up close. Thanks for your detailed description.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

I wouldn't say its for people with "large knuckles." I have tiny knuckles and need one. Rather, it is for people who are slender. Knuckles are always going to be the widest part of the finger on thin people, due to the anatomy of the hand's bone structure.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't say its for people with "large knuckles." I have tiny knuckles and need one. Rather, it is for people who are slender. Knuckles are always going to be the widest part of the finger on thin people, due to the anatomy of the hand's bone structure.

I meant no offense by using the term 'large'. I meant proportionately to the part of the finger you're trying to get the ring onto. Some people (including yourself I'm aware) have extremely slender fingers and their knuckles - wider bone! - are of course wider, even on a small hand. I had thought I was being obvious in my meaning but clearly not. :confused:

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
@headlight Thank you for the update! The stone looks absolutely gorgeous!! I also love your setting - it shows off the stone perfectly, and the Cliq is so subtle!! I am also happy to see that you went ahead and branded the stone, since I remember the discussion on that from the other thread. This has been an exciting journey. So glad Brian Gavin and company did such a wonderful job!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I love the unique yet classic setting that I didn’t know anything about until PS. Your stone is TDF! You will need a chart to make sure you show off all your beauties on certain days. :lol:
Enjoy!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I have received the first of my two inherited stones that I sent to Brian Gavin for recutting (as discussed in a previous thread). It is now a 2.31ct, H, VVS2, Brian Gavin Signature Hearts and Arrows branded stone. I'm over the moon for every element of this journey: The diamond, the mounting, and the SERVICE. The diamond is spectacular. The setting is the Classic 6-prong Solitaire in 14k from CLIQ, the rings that open up for a perfect fit. And the service I have received from Brian Gavin Diamonds has been amazing. Jamie, Lesley, and Brian have all been closely and actively involved from start to finish on this, and their professionalism, follow-through, and kindness has been extraordinary. A recut is a total leap of faith, as well as having a ring set to one's liking from afar, and they have been phenomenal with the "hand-holding" and reassurance that I needed! They've treated me as if I was one of their best customers yet this is the first transaction I've had with them and I didn't even outright purchase a diamond... I did 2 recuts with mountings (but I plan to purchase also!). My husband has been equally impressed with their level of service. I don't know if my file with the AGS lab report will post so, if not, here are the specs:
Table 57.4%
Crown Height 14.2%
Pavilion Depth 43.1%
Total Depth 60.1%
Girdle Thin to Medium
Crown Angle 33.7
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Lower Half 78%
Star 51%
Without further ado, here it is:
Here's a little video they made to demonstrate how the CLIQ ring works
BrianGavin_6Prong_LHelman1_030720.jpg BrianGavin_6Prong_LHelman2_030720.jpg BrianGavin_6Prong_LHelman3_030720.jpg BrianGavin_6Prong_LHelman4_030720.jpg
1584492868908.jpeg
Just amazing headlight! I haven’t been on Pricescope for a while and was so happy when I read about your recuts. The ring and stone are drool worthy :kiss2:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Stunning. Love this classic, timeless setting too :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results