shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD Princess Recut - A New Look Needs A New Setting

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
So for those of you who followed my recut story in Rocky Talky "BGD Princess Recut - From Ugly Duckling to Swan" my new recut princess diamond has found a new home. Thanks to Brian Gavin who made our vision a reality and Jamie Carson who held my very nervous hand along the way.

First the BGD glamour shots...

BrianGavin_CustomPrincess1b_91210.jpg

BrianGavin_CustomPrincess4b_91210.jpg

BrianGavin_CustomPrincess3b_91210.jpg

BrianGavin_CustomPrincess2b_91210.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Now, some real life pictures...

SuzyQZ Halo in box.jpg

SuzyQZ Halo in box2.jpg

SuzyQZ Halo on hand2.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock

Profile in the shade_1050.jpg

Shady side.jpg

SuzyQZ_1071.jpg

SuzyQZ_1064.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock

SuzyQZ Halo on hand profile.jpg

SuzyQZ Halo horiz on hand.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock

SuzyQz Halo comp screen.jpg

SuzyQZ Halo on lime.jpg

AGS_1116.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
OK, so for those of you who want the stats...

Certification after the BGD recut:

AGS
Square Modified Brilliant
5.81 x 5.81 X 4.00
Cut Grade: AGS Excellent 1
Light Performance: AGS Ideal 0
Polish: AGS Excellent 1
Symmetry: AGS Ideal 0
Color Grade: (G) AGS 1.5
Clarity Grade: (VVS1) AGS1
Cara Weight: 1.133
Flourescence: Negligible

All Melee is BGD Signature
Halo Melee: 2 pointers (1.7mm)
Shank Melee: 1.5 pointers (1.5mm)
Surprise Diamonds: 6 pointers (2.5mm)

For all the details on the recut you can see my thread in Rocky Talky "BGD Princess Recut - From Ugly Duckling to Swan"

Thanks!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful diamond & setting! Great finger coverage!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I haven't seen many princess halos. Very nice and blingy.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning setting!!! Wow!!! :appl: It looks terrific on you!

Enjoy your ring!!

Cachette :))

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that's unique and very beautiful! I think B&L did a great job again.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I love the two tone, and how it looks like the band is just snuggled up under your diamond. Gorgeous!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on the makeover! I love that you did the two tone and I really like the look of it being an ering with
a wedding band in the middle. Very cool!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! This is an amazing ring and it looks so gorgeous on your hand :love: What a transformation :appl:

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I love your new setting. It is the most sophisticated princess I've seen and looks great on you.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to all of you for your kind comments.

I thought you would enjoy seeing how the CADs translated into the actual ring, so here is the comparison. The ring was cast in several pieces. The band, the halo and the 4 support pieces. The surprise diamonds are actually tucked under the halo and part of the band.

The ring looks more "over the top" in these close up pictures than it does in real life. In the real world, proportionally, it looks big on my hand, but not ginormous. In my avatar you can see my three stone radiant diamond ring (approx 3.5 ctw) I wear on my right hand and the two rings balance each other quite nicely. Neither one looks too big, or too small... they are just right.

I love the performance of the princess recut, it is truly amazing to look at, what a difference it made. Brian did a remarkable job on it and I'm so happy with the custom ring. It fits me and my personality perfectly. The workmanship is outstanding.

CAD v IRL for PS.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
tigian said:
I love your new setting. It is the most sophisticated princess I've seen and looks great on you.

Thank you, Tigian. That is what I was going for. I am not a young newlywed, I'm 53 years old and both of my kids are out of college and living on their own. I wanted my ring to make a statement that reflected the stage I am in life. The old solitaire setting was boring to me after all these years. I wanted something more blingy.

The diamond, however, I did not want to part with, it was the diamond my husband bought for me and I wanted to keep that, she just needed a major makeover. We could have replaced it with a bigger diamond, but I didn't want to, hence the halo idea to bump it up a notch.

Old setting2.jpg

old setting.JPEG

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cool ring! Enjoy!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Oh WOW!!!! Beautiful!!!

mommy2nk

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful setting! It truly is stunning. I love it!! :love: :love:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted on your other thread... but I LOVVVVE it! love the two tone yellow gold and Princess cut! Just stunning! love the gallery! :love: my kind of ring!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ring! I love the mix of the two metals... :appl:

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
I just read your RT thread, and what a wonderful story! The diamond and the ring are truly gorgeous. Congratultions. :love: :love:

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful ring!

...it gives me an idea, we've only been married 5 years but we've always talked about upgrading or re-setting my engagment ring in the future. Just like you, as much I would like to get a bigger diamond, I would love to keep my oringinal princess cut stone :)

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like you got the best of everything. Keeping you sentimental stone and LOTS more bling. It turned out beautiful. :appl: :appl: :appl:

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333 said:
Congratulations on the makeover! I love that you did the two tone and I really like the look of it being an ering with
a wedding band in the middle. Very cool!

Thank you all for your compliments! :bigsmile:

tyty:
Yes, that was what I was going for, a ring that would take the place of an e-ring and wedding band, but in one ring. The halo and supports are thin and separated by the width of the gold band which makes the halo kind of float over the band. Thanks for noticing that detail, it was one we scrutinized in detail before deciding on the final design.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
geckodani said:
I love the two tone, and how it looks like the band is just snuggled up under your diamond. Gorgeous!

Thank you, Geckodani.
Your observation is correct, the band is tucked under and the surprise diamond is actually under the halo, not flush with the sides, so it is kind of of hidden, I really like that.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
D&T said:
I posted on your other thread... but I LOVVVVE it! love the two tone yellow gold and Princess cut! Just stunning! love the gallery! :love: my kind of ring!

Thanks for being a fan!
I know it's not mainstream or the popular "look" you see today, maybe I'm just old fashioned because I like a wide wedding band.
Lesley from BGD also likes the wide band look, she emailed me and said she liked it and that it was her "style" too. Brian was very happy with how the ring looked upon completion also.
It makes a statement, for sure.
I really appreciate your enthusiasm.
Thank you.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great makeover. I love the two tone.

You did a wonderful job and the halo made it look SO much bigger. Enjoy!!!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
SparklyOEC said:
I just read your RT thread, and what a wonderful story! The diamond and the ring are truly gorgeous. Congratultions. :love: :love:

Thank you for reading through my other thread.
Every ring/diamond has a story behind it.
After the makeover, it was the natural progression to get a new ring.
I'm glad you like the final result!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
OCmom3xboys said:
Beautiful ring!

...it gives me an idea, we've only been married 5 years but we've always talked about upgrading or re-setting my engagment ring in the future. Just like you, as much I would like to get a bigger diamond, I would love to keep my oringinal princess cut stone :)

Glad you want to keep your original diamond. Settings for a princess cut diamond are a challenge, not as many options as a round, cushion, or oval shaped stone. They can be too pointy and sharp looking. I find myself gravitating towards the square shapes more, don't know why that is. RBC's are more beautiful in many ways, but there is something about the symmetry of a square shape that I really like. If you can find a setting that softens its lines it can really be beautiful. Start saving pictures of all the ring styles that you like so when the time comes you'll have plenty of ideas. Have fun!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results