shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD Black 2ct Emerald question

adventure1

Rough_Rock
This specific 2.01 E VS1 has been tossed around a bit on the emerald threads (over the past few years) and is, as I understand, remarkably brilliant. It is a bit more spendy than my original budget. Despite the 2ct weight, it seems to me to face up like a 2.5. Originally, I was looking at a G VS2 around ~20k and probably as large as I could go due to the nature of the cut. Prior to reaching out to BGD and others GOG, IDJ, etc I had a few questions about this 'ideal' emerald.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/....010-e-vs1-emerald-diamond-bkags-104096832002

1. Compared to 2-2.5 (lower color) from a bigger /other vendor with a 'great' but not 'perfect' ASET (purchasing online with your assistance), do you personally think the BGD Black is worth it price wise (at a 5-10k premium)? Or going with a larger face and a great but not perfect brilliance at the same cost? Obviously subjective but I understand these BGD Black are the only 'perfect' cut emeralds out there. We would not be upgrading the stone in the future.

2. From what I am seeing, I seem to prefer the smaller 'facets' if you will and the BGD black cuts are rather large with more contrast viewed straight on. Obviously, the Aset on the link is very good. My girlfriend doesn't seem to have a preference. Thoughts?

3. The table on the BGD Black's are in the low-mid 50s. I presume that is because of an increased (crown?) height and the cut. Is this considered by the emerald experts to be acceptable considering the great brilliance these diamonds have?

Again, thank you. Just wanting to be an informed consumer before reaching out.

Reactions: AV_

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This specific 2.01 E VS1 has been tossed around a bit on the emerald threads (over the past few years) and is, as I understand, remarkably brilliant. It is a bit more spendy than my original budget. Despite the 2ct weight, it seems to me to face up like a 2.5. Originally, I was looking at a G VS2 around ~20k and probably as large as I could go due to the nature of the cut. Prior to reaching out to BGD and others GOG, IDJ, etc I had a few questions about this 'ideal' emerald.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/....010-e-vs1-emerald-diamond-bkags-104096832002

1. Compared to 2-2.5 (lower color) from a bigger /other vendor with a 'great' but not 'perfect' ASET (purchasing online with your assistance), do you personally think the BGD Black is worth it price wise (at a 5-10k premium)? Or going with a larger face and a great but not perfect brilliance at the same cost? Obviously subjective but I understand these BGD Black are the only 'perfect' cut emeralds out there. We would not be upgrading the stone in the future.

2. From what I am seeing, I seem to prefer the smaller 'facets' if you will and the BGD black cuts are rather large with more contrast viewed straight on. Obviously, the Aset on the link is very good. My girlfriend doesn't seem to have a preference. Thoughts?

3. The table on the BGD Black's are in the low-mid 50s. I presume that is because of an increased (crown?) height and the cut. Is this considered by the emerald experts to be acceptable considering the great brilliance these diamonds have?

Again, thank you. Just wanting to be an informed consumer before reaching out.
ECs are so difficult to buy - like other fancy cuts they can't really be assessed off the numbers alone, so ASETscope images and videos are very useful!

You do pay a premium for the BGD stones, and they do have good performance, but only you and your intended can weigh up the trade-offs you would make and decide which faceting style you prefer :))

I can't look on my phone right now, but if you're happy for us to look at options we might be able to find you some potential alternatives!

adventure1

Rough_Rock
ECs are so difficult to buy - like other fancy cuts they can't really be assessed off the numbers alone, so ASETscope images and videos are very useful!

You do pay a premium for the BGD stones, and they do have good performance, but only you and your intended can weigh up the trade-offs you would make and decide which faceting style you prefer :))

I can't look on my phone right now, but if you're happy for us to look at options we might be able to find you some potential alternatives!
I would be interested. Obviously still in the early stages (and would still need to get ASETs, table, depth etc), but I've picked out a few from JA as a starting point. Price points vary. Looking for eye clean, likely a G/H VS2 or better.

1. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.70-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-3977925 longer (1.44 ratio), IGI graded (so I'm thinking its more an I color) 19k

2. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.71-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-6103098 IGI, 21k

3. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.50-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-6434798 23k

4. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.50-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-7381251 27k

5. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.52-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-2841543 28k

6. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.51-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-6823641 32k

7. https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/....010-e-vs1-emerald-diamond-bkags-104096832002 Brian Gavin cut 33k

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an Emerald cut, I specifically bought it for its shape, it’s from the 1930s and is an unusual longer / thinner shape.
To be honest, I wouldn’t pay the extra premium for the Brian Gavin diamond. You’re paying a high premium for a marginally better diamond. I’d rather get a bigger size diamond for similar colour and clarity specs but still very well cut. You could put the $10,000 towards a truly gobsmacking amazing setting with say tapered French cuts down the shoulders.
Emerald cuts sparkle differently to round brilliants. You get big broad flashes rather than lots of little dancing sparkles.
But different things matter to different people. Decide what matters most to you and your fiancée. Some want only the best, whether or not that extra quality is easily discernible. Others want best “bang for buck” and will drop in colour and clarity for size, and others say “give me the 5 carat one, I don’t care that’s it’s M colour and I1 clarity”.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t necessarily agree that bgd’s offering retails at a $10k premium, it’s an E/VS1 stone compared to F-H emeralds (some IGI which is not always accurate in terms of color). E color comes at a premium. I have seen the BGD emeralds in person and they are stunning. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t other beautiful emerald cute out there, but the BGD stones are sure to produce beautiful performing diamonds. I am attaching some photos for OP to see.
B19E6D29-CFBA-4484-841F-D0297E88D195.jpeg 04106421-8EB4-4974-A183-359227634B0B.jpeg 71764FBC-46C5-4C8D-BAB0-A376482A1C41.jpeg 9FB3DE6C-C7B7-4A8B-A682-B2D42674A869.jpeg F202E761-9F7C-4075-8326-D32E4276D595.jpeg AB5C624F-9C0F-4440-98FF-070DC980F34D.jpeg

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn’t necessarily agree that bgd’s offering retails at a $10k premium, it’s an E/VS1 stone compared to F-H emeralds (some IGI which is not always accurate in terms of color). E color comes at a premium. I have seen the BGD emeralds in person and they are stunning. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t other beautiful emerald cute out there, but the BGD stones are sure to produce beautiful performing diamonds. I am attaching some photos for OP to see.
B19E6D29-CFBA-4484-841F-D0297E88D195.jpeg 04106421-8EB4-4974-A183-359227634B0B.jpeg 71764FBC-46C5-4C8D-BAB0-A376482A1C41.jpeg 9FB3DE6C-C7B7-4A8B-A682-B2D42674A869.jpeg F202E761-9F7C-4075-8326-D32E4276D595.jpeg AB5C624F-9C0F-4440-98FF-070DC980F34D.jpeg

These really ARE perfection! Really beautiful !

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I want the one in the second pic! Do you have the specs?? LOL. no seriously tho!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is that enormous MRB?? :o lol

AV_

Ideal_Rock
From what I am seeing, I seem to prefer the smaller 'facets' if you will and the BGD black cuts are rather large with more contrast viewed straight on. Obviously, the Aset on the link is very good. My girlfriend doesn't seem to have a preference. Thoughts?

These must be smaller virtual facets - just a pattern of reflections, due more to proportions than the size of steps; eg. rectangular & square step cut designed to have allot of this rich play of light WWW & WWW

These are also perfectly made, in another taste...

I would not compare either withe other choices, although it is not entirely impossible to find seriously beautiful step cut diamonds off the shelf (not today!)

2p

adventure1

Rough_Rock
These must be smaller virtual facets - just a pattern of reflections, due more to proportions than the size of steps; eg. rectangular & square step cut designed to have allot of this rich play of light WWW & WWW

I would not compare either withe other choices, although it is not entirely impossible to find seriously beautiful step cut diamonds off the shelf (not today!)

2p

2p

Thank you for these comments. Those pictures are indeed beautiful. His emerald cuts have that 'thicker' base (deepest) facet design. I understand (some) of the differences when viewing an emerald, but I presume that's not considered an unattractive feature since you are typically viewing from a slight angle and those flat, large facets simply provide contrast rather than just see-through or dull facets. They do 'turn off' at the same time, but plenty of other strong sparkle is noted at that particular angle.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
viewing from a slight angle and those flat, large facets simply provide contrast rather than just see-through or dull facets. They do 'turn off' at the same time, but plenty of other strong sparkle is noted at that particular angle.

I agree with this.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Just fun: D / VVS1 2cts. 2/3 of the price of the D/IF - WWW The detail to note is the 'Strong' fluorescence, I had made an idle note of this stone because of it & had forgotten... (this is what reminded me www)

adventure1

Rough_Rock
Just fun: D / VVS1 2cts. 2/3 of the price of the D/IF - WWW The detail to note is the 'Strong' fluorescence, I had made an idle note of this stone because of it & had forgotten... (this is what reminded me www)
Thank you, also quite a beautiful cut. A bit shallower, but results in a great size for 2ct. Looks great through the stone though.

I am very much appreciative of your effort. Though my purchase may be a bit down the line, this really does help my eye tremendously.

I assume, as with any med-high fluorescence, when buying from a bulk vendor like blue nile, JA, etc, they can basically tell you if the diamond is cloudy? Do you have examples of pictures so I would know in person?

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
etc, they can basically tell you if the diamond is cloudy? Do you have examples of pictures so I would know in person?

Few are...

I am not sure if the subtle fog is visible in videos as much as in person. Over time, I could find two obviously less than transparent diamonds via videos, both with striking graining (grade making, main clarity characteristic, VS2 or SI) aside strong fluorescence; both are long gone.

I would not bet that all such diffuse clarity characteristics are covered in reports, and lesser transparency is possible without fluorescence.

I would ask them to check & not trust the answer. It is always possible to return & would rather see the stone before it is set.

Fingers crossed!

adventure1

Rough_Rock
Few are...

I am not sure if the subtle fog is visible in videos as much as in person. Over time, I could find two obviously less than transparent diamonds via videos, both with striking graining (grade making, main clarity characteristic, VS2 or SI) aside strong fluorescence; both are long gone.

I would not bet that all such diffuse clarity characteristics are covered in reports, and lesser transparency is possible without fluorescence.

I would ask them to check & not trust the answer. It is always possible to return & would rather see the stone before it is set.

Fingers crossed!

As always, thank you. More questions! I am narrowing the search to a longer ratio. I very much like the D you posted also. Of course, a little more bang for the buck is always great...and there are lots of diamonds out there, I'm willing to wait for the sweet spot.

The stone linked below looks promising to me, at least based on the provided ASET (B2C). Lots of blue though and less red, with my one concern being the gray at the base (deepest level). Comparing with the blue nile link, I can see one facet that is deeper that stays 'flat/contrast/black' but lights up at more extreme angles.

Strong blue fluorescence, which is fine, as long as I can verify it's not cloudy. Presumably as you suggested by ordering the loose stone and checking.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab

https://www.b2cjewels.com/diamond-search/dd/12743960/Emerald-Diamond-D-Color-VVS2-Clarity

1. Why the huge price difference? 27 vs 31?
2. Is B2C a reputable seller?
3. I am looking for a 2mm simple solitaire knife edge platinum setting (B2C does not seem to offer one). A local reputable jeweler should be able to work with that? Or can I send it out? Should I ask blue nile to price match?

They have this setting which is close to what we like :
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...litaire-engagement-ring_55261?diamondShape=EC

Would prefer:
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...nife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-7028

4. I understand jewler's mutual typically does not insure loose stones for over 30 days. Is that correct?

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone!

I find the B2C videos harder to read - there seems to be strong backlight which is never the case in settings (the result is lack of contrast, the diamonds look 'flat' to me there). I expect the blue/black facets (ASET) to be mirror-like in real life; the arrows pattern of round brilliants does this & I might take the amount of ASET blue/black from H&A round as a benchmark for how much is not bad anywhere else. I would not easily balk at slightly more.

The price difference is not unheard off.

I have not heard of Blue Nile matching prices, but you can always ask.

It is very common to have a stone set by someone else but its seller. The setting needs to be suitable for the proportions of the stone, so I would ask either a local jeweller or one of the workshops making custom settings mentioned around here, starting with David Klass, perhaps (see what they have done for mrs-b).

Insurance, I do not know...

Re. B2C reputation - I do not recall any gossip against them; Google might.

Last edited:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmm I will have 2 of each!

AV_

Ideal_Rock

adventure1

Rough_Rock
Beautiful stone!

I find the B2C videos harder to read - there seems to be strong backlight which is never the case in settings (the result is lack of contrast, the diamonds look 'flat' to me there). I expect the blue/black facets (ASET) to be mirror-like in real life; the arrows pattern of round brilliants does this & I might take the amount of ASET blue/black from H&A round as a benchmark for how much is not bad anywhere else. I would not easily balk at slightly more.

The price difference is not unheard off.

I have not heard of Blue Nile matching prices, but you can always ask.

It is very common to have a stone set by someone else but its seller. The setting needs to be suitable for the proportions of the stone, so I would ask either a local jeweller or one of the workshops making custom settings mentioned around here, starting with David Klass, perhaps (see what they have done for mrs-b).

Insurance, I do not know...

Re. B2C reputation - I do not recall any gossip against them; Google might.
Thank you very much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results