shape
carat
color
clarity

BG Signature Oval Review

chumbawumba

Rough_Rock
I'd been focused on a radiant cut for several months for an engagement ring stone, but it feels like there are just too many variables with that cut, especially when buying online. They don't do radiants, so I've been looking at Brian Gavin signature Oval cut because it seems to take some of the guesswork out of picking a well cut fancy stone online... put this one on hold:

Can the pro's here give me their feedback on this? Setting in yellow gold so I'm not too concerned about the H color (though I'd have preferred G). Maybe a platinum head instead, but yellow gold band for sure.

Thank you

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a pro, but it looks beautiful to me. I think BG has stricter guidelines for their diamonds, especially Ideal. Not to say you shouldn't get opinions, those are very important, I see a nice crown height (ch) and the videos look great. I'll leave it to someone else to evaluate the ASET & Ideal Scope.
Good luck and congratulations!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
That's a gorgeous oval - I've only ever owned one oval cut stone that I liked (yellow Tanzania zircon) and it had the same cut pattern. I think these will look fantastic in person and I'd actually consider one

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone....AGS000 with Ideal Light performance. Really, there is nothing bad you could say about this stone. Do you think
your GF is ok with an Oval vs a radiant? I* prefer ovals (but who cares?)

Relative size on size 6 finger...
oval.png

chumbawumba

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your feedback.

@tyty333 - she's not partial to any particular cut. I know what she doesn't like, which has been a helpful starting point. It's not a secret that I'm searching, but I have been trying to maintain some of the surprise factor, if that makes any sense.

I'd been avoiding AGS graded stones because of a comment made by a local jeweler: "GIA is the only grading institution you want to consider".

But I hadn't realized that AGS certs have much more detail regarding cut and light quality. That feels like a big benefit despite some of the commentary I've read online about "loose" grading versus the GIA. That seems to have been misguided.

The BG stamp of approval also helps with the comfort factor of buying online.

It's a very different cut style compared with most ovals on the market. Do you know why that is?

Seems like the bowtie and tip darkness is mostly eliminated, at least from the video shown online.

I've also seen positive remarks about Elyque Ovals from Distinctive Gem. Any thoughts on that stone? Also a unique approach to the oval cut.

Thanks!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked up a BGD Oval last week (thank you March Madness) -- this one https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...oducts/0-917-d-si2-brian-gavin-signature-oval -- it is soooo pretty! It presents more as a roval though still definitely an oval -- zero bowtie -- fabulous whether oriented N/S or E/W -- I am super happy with it! FWIW if my purse would have stretched that far, the 1.63ct H-VVS1 would have been my first choice.

I had bought an Elyque Oval some years back -- very good price, very icy diamond -- but it was deeper than I would have liked, and didn't wow me -- don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful diamond and very bright, but despite being super ideal the face-up presentation didn't click for me. YMMV

I am looking forward to your thoughts on the BGD Oval you selected!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all for your feedback.

@tyty333 - she's not partial to any particular cut. I know what she doesn't like, which has been a helpful starting point. It's not a secret that I'm searching, but I have been trying to maintain some of the surprise factor, if that makes any sense.
I'd been avoiding AGS graded stones because of a comment made by a local jeweler: "GIA is the only grading institution you want to consider".
Unfortunately, a lot of jewelers will say this. Most Super Ideal stones that we (PS) deal with are AGS 000 graded because you get
the light performance grade. Recently, GIA has bought out AGS and I believe they will be doing GIA reports with light performance.
The BG stamp of approval also helps with the comfort factor of buying online.

It's a very different cut style compared with most ovals on the market. Do you know why that is?
You have to design an oval in a certain way to get an Ideal Light return. Usually eats up more rough and costs more
to create. Normally, I believe, they try to fit the biggest stone they can in a piece of rough.
Most ovals come in 4 main, 6 main, and 8 main (regular and offset). Yours is an 8 main (has 8 arrows).
Elyque Ovals are 10 mains. Unfortunately, they take the dark area that goes East/West through the center of most ovals and
relocate it North/South. You can see it in this AGS report. BGD ovals and Elyque Ovals also have different faceting patterns on the
crown.

Edit...partial Elque Oval AGS report
oval ags report.png
Seems like the bowtie and tip darkness is mostly eliminated, at least from the video shown online.
Yes, eliminated.
I've also seen positive remarks about Elyque Ovals from Distinctive Gem. Any thoughts on that stone? Also a unique approach to the oval cut.
See my statements above.

The only other vendor that I know of that does an oval more like BGD is Blue Nile (there are probably others out there).
Check these out:

chumbawumba

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I have one additional question regarding the integration of AGS into GIA:

It's my understanding that an Ideal cut grade for an oval stone has only been possible via the AGSL.

With that standard now gone, does it reduce the market appeal of this stone, especially because it's cut in such a unique way compared with the more typical Oval shape?

Is the AGSL cert no longer as valuable because the GIA doesn't recognize the cut grading of ovals?

I don't plan to sell it, but it would be nice to know I'm not fully lighting money on fire because the average, less informed jeweler would question the cut style.

GIA now appears to label it as a "Light Performance Grade" and I've already heard so many jewelers dismiss the AGSL as a soft grader and ASET as a marketing gimmick.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
I don't plan to sell it, but it would be nice to know I'm not fully lighting money on fire because the average, less informed jeweler would question the cut style.

I wouldn't waste a second wondering what a less informed jeweller would think about the cut style. I'm super interested in this thread because I'm looking at purchasing one of these ovals too - I think they will perform so much better than a traditional oval. You're buying it for your own (or your partner's!) enjoyment, not for anyone else.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
BG Signature Oval, DG Elyque Oval, and JP H&A Oval give you the option to pick one of the three best ovals in the world, in my opinion.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies. I have one additional question regarding the integration of AGS into GIA:

It's my understanding that an Ideal cut grade for an oval stone has only been possible via the AGSL.

With that standard now gone, does it reduce the market appeal of this stone, especially because it's cut in such a unique way compared with the more typical Oval shape?

Is the AGSL cert no longer as valuable because the GIA doesn't recognize the cut grading of ovals?

GIA now appears to label it as a "Light Performance Grade" and I've already heard so many jewelers dismiss the AGSL as a soft grader and ASET as a marketing gimmick.

Ditto @CalliopeCladdagh

I would think that with an educated diamond consumer, it would not reduce the market appeal of the stone. Of course, just like
the jewelers you spoke with some only know and preach GIA. You could ask BGD to send the stone back in for the new GIA report
(waste of money IMO). but if you are worried... Any jeweler who questioned the cut style of your stone as undesirable would be
an idiot. Your stone is a Super Ideal patented cut, Branded, AGS000 stone. Most "traditionally cut" ovals are dogs.

ASETs show light return. The only thing to dis about them is that it is only one static view of what the stone is doing. You really
need to see movement to see how a stone performs. A really good ASET image, like with your stone, shows that it has the
capability of being a good performer. A not-so-good ASET image would tell me that the chances of the stone having a nice play
of facets/lights is less so.

Have you seen an aset image of a typical oval? They are not very pretty as far as Asets go.

chumbawumba

Rough_Rock
Maybe I should have phrased it differently. I'm not really all that concerned what the average observer thinks if I believe it's a nice choice. I'm confident in my ability to differentiate value as a consumer most of the time. I'm mostly just having a reaction to the vast range of opinions that are presented as fact in this industry, especially from people I'd be typically inclined to trust. For new consumers and those who've never taken the time to really understand the market, it makes the process of purchasing a stone really confusing and intimidating, and I'm thinking that's by design.

I don't even think you need an ASET to tell from high res video that 99% of ovals are mediocre. I think that probably holds true for most non-round shapes. It's no surprise that rounds continue to be the best seller because they actually have measurements to support the grading.

You're constantly hearing things like:
"never consider a non-GIA cert stone" (oh, the irony of GIA buying AGSL)
"never buy a stone online"
"I'm giving you x% discount to rap, it's great deal" (there are no deals in a commodities business)
"this one is cut beautifully" (but there's no evidence to prove why)
"fluorescence is terrible"
"fluorescence doesn't matter, but I'll give you a nice price because of it"
"the setting makes it look bigger"
"you have to fall within this specific set of dimensions otherwise it's a bad stone"
"high depth % is always wasteful use of carat weight, go with the stone with a large face up dimension and shallow depth, it will look bigger"

I take it all with a grain of salt, at brick and mortar especially but online as well, because like anything there are multiple ways to skin the cat.

Unless you're working with an upscale private jeweler with some special in-house inventory, most of the exact same average stones that have been pushed onto me and promoted as exclusive or unique can just be found via an online retailer via a GIA # search.

Ultimately, most people just want something big and sparkly, so it makes sense that the market is like this.

I appreciate the feedback and generosity of people on this forum, but it all can make your head spin and make what should be an exciting, emotional purchase feel like a bit of a scam.

Fingers cross this BGD is as nice as advertised.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What you said above is true, unfortunately.

Please post pics (and opinion) when you get your ring...we would love to see it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results