shape
carat
color
clarity

bezel setting for an engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I have recently been looking at rings. It seems as if all we see are either too big for my tiny fingers, too gaudy, or the basic solitaire everyone has. What I really think is beautiful is a bezel setting, since I tend to be rough on rings, and the thought of a precious stone lifted up on my finger with only six prongs to keep it there scares me like crazy. As of yet, I''ve not found any bezel settings out there, with bands that aren''t super wide. Is this something that would have to be special ordered?

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hi!

Welcome to pricescope. This is a link to rfath's e-ring, it's one of my favorite bezel set rings (I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to) In any case, she has one of my favorite bezel set rings.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/etienne-perret-engagement-ring.20027/

I'm believe (not 100% sure) that bezel settings have to be made around the diamond, so that they fit perfectly. It's probably a matter of finding a stone and design you love, and sending the stone to the company so they can make the settting.

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Yay!! Thank you so, so, so much for that link. Now I''ve finally been able to email a picture of a bezel setting to Paul, who had no clue what I meant by "you know, a ring where the diamond sits level with the gold around it..." Vague to say the least. :) I do love the classic look of a tiffany setting, but I''m pretty sure I''d have that bad boy knocked around in no time.... :)

That ring is so pretty, simple, and so smooth looking. I love it! Kinda big diamond, but hey, with time, I''m sure I''ll grow an eye for bigger and better, too!! :)

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Why am I being called a rough rock? :)

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I won''t bother sending Paul a copy of that picture, though. He''ll get confused and think I want an emerald cut diamond. I had him confused for the longest because I THOUGHT I wanted a princess cut until I tried several on... they looked like boxes on my finger. And I didn''t know it, but I LOVE fire and mega sparkles... and round really kicks butt in that area!

Thank you guys.... Maybe we''ll get lucky and see one in a store some day....

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
By the way, Whitehall tends to be his favorite jewelry store... is that a good one?

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey,

rfath''s setting is indeed very beautiful. You''re being called a rough rock because you are new, I think the name "i.e cut rock, ideal rock" depends on the number of posts.

In any case, I don''t know much about Whitehall, you can search and see what turns up. I saw a couple of titles with the name whitehall in it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
There''s a scary thread on here right now about a woman who believes she was "scammed" by Whitehall. That''s my most recent impression of them for what it''s worth.

I love bezel settings and the one Ally posted is very cool.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
I saw this one and thought it was really gorgeous:

It''s by Sholdt Design.

Sholdtbezelonline.jpg

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
That''s really nice!! Wonder what it would look like with a cornflower blue sapphire?

rstillin

Rough_Rock
I''ve been looking for more "delicate" bezel settings as well. Take a look at Hearts on Fire website at their settings. Not sure if you can get the settings without their stones in them, but they have a couple of really nice half bezel settings.

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Ally -

Thanks for pointing out my ring! I''m still loving the setting, and it''s held up perfectly - I''m REALLY hard on rings!

The bezel/halo needs to be made to fit the individual stone. I would recommmend Etienne Perret in a nanosecond to design and make the ring - his craftmanship is superb and his prices reasonable.

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys so much! I have better ideas now, and Paul''s seen it now. He''s not sold, however. He favors the more traditional look of a raised prong setting, still. But he says whatever makes me happy. He says that partly because I have such thin fingers that I favor smaller carat size, I think ;-) I''d like to find a place where I can see them, try them on, though... Ah, life could be worse than needing to go shopping in a pretty store for pretty things, huh? :)

Thanks again!!

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
I think a 1/2 carat or 5/8 of a carat would look really awesome in a bezel setting, with a thin band. My finger is only a size four; I tried on a 3/4 carat solitaire and it sort of swallowed up my finger. It didn''t look delicate at all. I think maybe even smaller than 1/2 could look nice, being that the white gold sort of "expands" the illusion of the diamond''s size.

I once saw a bezel setting on a ring that sort of had an s-curve in it. that was amazing. The diamond was itty bitty, but to see that a bit bigger, and then to have a matching band that had the same curve to nestle into it... that''d be sweet.

I''m trying not to make this too much of an ordeal for Paul. He''s busy and I''m really not totally difficult all the time, not about material things. I just hate to think of money being spent on something I''m likely to knock the diamond out of in a short amount of time. And does anyone else have this issue, or am I just lenty? My prongs on the topaz ring he got me for my birthday collect little strands and puffs of lent all the time.

But then, I like sparkle, too. If bezel kills a little sparkle, maybe I do like prongs better. Ah... I dunno. :) I just wanna marry the man I adore already!!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I love that thin band bezel setting!
You also might like the semi or half bezel, if you search on that you''ll find some neat pics!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Nifergirl,

From what I understand, the bezel doesn't affect the sparkle. Light enters your diamond from the top and bounces back to the eye. I considered a halo for a LONG time because I didn't want the typical solitaire that everyone had either. It's one of my absolutely favorite setting styles.

If you love the look of the bezel, I'm sure you'd love it on your hand. It's not one of those weird settings you "have to see on"...it's pretty classic. I understand you wanting to try one on, though.

I don't know if anyone mentioned him before but I *love* his bezel halos:

http://etienneperret.com/

Go to "Gallery of Jewels", then to "Engagement" and then to "Halo Bands".

30.gif
A .50ct would look gorgeous in a white gold/platinum low OR high bezel halo.

ETA: I see he's been mentioned! Nevermind!
9.gif

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Someone posted above re: Cross Jewelers (www.crossjewelers.com) and I went to look at their website.

It looks like they have some gorgeous bezel settings the design of which takes into consideration the comfort and practicality you desire. You may therefore want to check them out!

Hope this helps!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bezel settings shouldn''t be particularly heavy... but many are: especially if the bezel is one-piece ''bucket'' that covers the pavilion of the diamond and then some. The open bezels (like the ring by Perret or the Lucida bezel by Tiffany) are only a band around the girdle leaving the pavilion open - and that makes for a dainty ring
1.gif

As for traditional - no reason to consider them otherwise. bezels have been around for ever.

Hope you end up with the perfect bezel ring, and tell the story here too!
2.gif

My 2c

Lora

Shiny_Rock
This is still my favorite bezel setting.

bezellora.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2006 9:13:16 AM
Author: Lora
This is still my favorite bezel setting.

Whos makes it? The design (two bezels layered) is quite a classic...

Lora

Shiny_Rock
I have no idea, I''ve never been able to find out. It was originally posted in one of the bezel threads, and the poster didn''t know either.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell your BF to avoid Whitehall like the plague. They are in serious financial trouble and are in the process of closing stores all around the country. The Whitehall in my local mall closed over night and was cleaned out as if they never existed. Plus, JMHO, they don''t represent very good quality to begin with.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
20X13.jpg
08QQ13.jpg

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 12:11:12 AM
Author: JDgirl
I saw this one and thought it was really gorgeous:

It's by Sholdt Design.
Costco has this almost exact same ring in stock in San Diego right now for about $3K. It's very dainty, yet would be sturdy...and it's sooooo gorgeous! I think it's just over 1/2 ct center with diamonds down the band.

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Aww... they call it a halo setting? Now, that makes me love it all the more. I really think I''m feeling more and more partial to this bezel thing. I just really don''t want to make it into something Paul has to go about special ordering... Maybe I need to do some calling around, because we have yet to find one on display anywhere that''s not on a thick band.

I''m so, so, so loving the bezel setting. :) Thank you guys for all your help!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2006 7:09:48 PM
Author: Nifergirl7997

I just really don''t want to make it into something Paul has to go about special ordering...

Then you could also contact one of the retailer who has the style on display (assuming you are talking about Etienne Perret''s). Someone has to order the setting - unless a ''floor model'' happens to be just so. If you would rather have an intermediary, why not. I wonder if the maker doesn''t take orders directly though... and save you guys some ''leg work''. It wouldn''t be anything unusual about ordering a ring - how else? The same goes for just about any signed jewelry.

My 2c

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Ana,

I think Paul is sort of thinking the ring buying experience involves going in a store, pointing at something, and saying, "I want that one." He''s gotten to where he understands more and more, thankfully, about jewelry, however. (My first present from him was a pair of gold rope earrings that were big and SO not my style, or my gold color of choice.) So, last night he suggested I go to some stores myself and look around a bit on my own, to see what styles really "pop" out at me. Then, with a few clear ideas of what will make me happy, he wants to make the final choice, so he feels like he got to put his two cents into it all, too.

I left work early today to go look at pretties. Yay! What I found included a few bezels, as well as a local man who indicated he could put a bezel on the daintiest of bands that I choose. So, that was kinda cool. Then I fell in love with a solitaire on prongs, too. And I also found a three stone with itty bitty diamonds going down either side of the band. It''s super thin and delicate, I think it has like 9 diamonds total and is only 1/2 carat total, but they sparkled something crazy! :) And, it just looked precious and delicate and sweet when coupled with a band. Not too big or bulky or anything. Aye... I said I for sure didn''t like multiple diamonds, too.

Poor guy''s bound to be more confused than ever now!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results