shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel-set studs from ERD? Blue Nile?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I'm considering buying myself a small, everyday pair of diamond studs, and I love the bezel look. ERD has a pair of 1/3 ctw at a veeeery tempting price, as does Blue Nile (though BN's are a bit more expensive).

Has anyone seen a pair of bezel studs from either establishment, and if so, are they sparkly? How is the quality? Lastly (but important nonetheless!), how low do they sit? I want them to sit as low as possible, like wallermama's perfect pair. I'm not considering ordering from the place she did, however, as the price for the same ctw, in white gold, is over twice as much as either ERD or BN is asking.

Thanks!

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ebree,

I can''t help you as I don''t have any of these, but I''m contemplating the same earrings as a gift for someone. My question is for anyone that has these in the 1/3 ct pair tw - what size are they in terms of mm? My guess is that the bezel adds 1 mm, but I''d like to know for sure.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Bump! Does anyone have any opinion either way?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess we are spoiled on cut quality and it would be a little scary to go with preset studs that were not ideal cut. I would still probably get some from WF if it was me!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a couple of gals got theirs from Scheiner Diamonds.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2008 10:19:23 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I guess we are spoiled on cut quality and it would be a little scary to go with preset studs that were not ideal cut. I would still probably get some from WF if it was me!
How much more are the WF pair? For preset, I'd probably consider them as well.

Before getting my WF pair, I managed to find a great pair of smaller studs that sparkled well enough. They're not as great as my WF pair, but still made an impression. I consider than lucky and not the norm.

BN does have an excellent return policy, so it'd be worth checking out their quality, however call about the bezel size because I ordered a pendant from them and am returning it because the bezel is thin from the front view, but chunky from the profile.

ETA - looks like WF doesn't have preset bezels? I couldn't find them. The ERD ones look like a great deal!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Ebree,

I've pondered this same thing more times that I'd like to admit! Had NOT seen those ERD studs before though ... nice find.

Here's the prob I had with all the less expensive pairs I've found -- the setting was just too tall (with that weird slit cut out thingie). And for stones THAT small, the setting would be much taller than the earring is wide ... and kind of stand out on my ear & be pokey, rather than nestle with a smooth drop to the ear (like the gorgeous CROSS ones Seike has, and the custom bezels that Firegoddess & Travelinggal got from whiteflash). The Schneider ones are the closest I've seen to "flush" at a cheaper price-point ... but AW SHUCKS they got wise about what they had and raised the darn prices before I could JUMP!
39.gif
39.gif

Adiamor is another place I've been stalking, but I suspect their pre-set bezel studs are the "tall/slit" kind as well. (Their asscher studs beckon to me as well ...
11.gif
)

Unlike many Pscopers, I'd be FINE with "less than ideal" stones. For me any amount of sparkle is better than NO SPARKLE of non-existent earrings (HA!
3.gif
) But I don't want "pokey" stick out from my ear baby studs ... so, so far I have not found a compromise I'm willing to live with. Zero sparkle for me!
7.gif

ETA: Don't know if you've seen these .50 tcw double bezel 14K white gold studs from Ross Simons ... they're over budget but I love their shape. REALLY thought they had a .30 tcw pair of these at some point but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2008 1:27:42 PM
Author: decodelighted
Hey Ebree,

I''ve pondered this same thing more times that I''d like to admit! Had NOT seen those ERD studs before though ... nice find.

Here''s the prob I had with all the less expensive pairs I''ve found -- the setting was just too tall (with that weird slit cut out thingie). for me!
7.gif
Ditto to Deco''s post. I have looked around quite a bit too, hoping for a bit of ear bling at a decent price. But I was always concerned that the bezel was going to be too much, or the cut was going to be terrible. (At that size, I would tolerate non-crazy super perfect ideal personally). Anyway, I could never find one that I really felt comfortable with. Sooooo instead I waited... and now I''m getting a bigger pair of .74 tw studs for a graduation present. And an awesome blue nile deal too!! But I did not want to have blue nile set them, so now hubby is supposed to figure out who is going to set them. But of course, I''ll end up doing all of the work
3.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
You may want to read this similar thread going on in Jewelry now...

linky

eta: kroshka, BN told me 3.4mm on the stones for a total of 5mm with bezel

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
OK I should start reading more thouroughly before I post
20.gif

Another thing to consider is screw back vs push back. It is my understanding that BN ONLY does screw back on those studs, and ERD can do either. I emailed ERD about this, and Mark made it sound like push is standard and screw backs would be extra, even tho their pic has screw backs
33.gif

I had the same reservations about the bezels, but I think I would like to see a pair just to make sure. I looove the bezel look (and added size!) but just can''t justify the $$$ of the thin ones.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone!

Unfortunately, the WF Bezels are out of budget; the settings alone (no diamonds!) are more than the full earrings from both ERD and BN. Since I'm buying these myself (and having to deal my husband giving me the evil eye since we just purchased my bezel pendant not 2 months ago!) I'm trying to keep the cost low. Also, I'm not interested in anything huge or expensive because earrings can be lost so easily. These are going to be "daily wear, once a week in the ultrasonic" earrings.

Deco, I agree: a little less sparkle is much better than no sparkle at all! I've got some cheapie CZs in, but they're tiny and digging into my holes, making them bigger. Not good. I'll make sure whoever I order from has a good return policy just in case they don't match my expectations.

I guess I should just take the plunge and send 'em back if I don't like how tall they are? And although I've ordered from Blue Nile and received a great product for not a lot of money (bargain hunting!), I've heard such great things about ERD. Someone over there might be willing to check out a few pairs to see which perform the best.

When I purchase, which will be sometime this month, I'll definitely have pictures. Thanks again for your feedback!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Hi EBree, my first pair of diamond studs were .25tcw in 4 prong settings. I think that''s a great size for everyday wear. The only thing I don''t like about the ERD and BN studs are the screw back posts. But maybe they won''t bug you! I can''t wait to see what you get!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results