shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel oec light return question--Paging Storm and bezel oec owners

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking about setting an oec in a bezel. Well cut rbs do fine in bezels, but I was wondering if an oec might react differently--any opinions?

Sorry, I don''t have pics yet, but the stone has a very high crown and a small table.

Any bezel oec owners out there who can comment on light return? Do you think an oec benefits more from an open prong setting or a bezel--or both?

Storm--any input would be greatly appreciated.:)

I''m guessing this is a case by case scenario--I just wouldn''t want to diminish any light return. I''ve seen photos of beautiful oecs in bezels, and I''d love to hear about your experiences.

Cheers and thank you!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
case by case... hold the diamond over a bright red background lookind strait down at the crown where you see red thru the stone will get dark in a bezel.
Now tilt it a little.
OR use an IS and where it is white will be dark.
If there is not extensive leakage it should be fine in a bezel.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey Coats!
Mine's a lil different being a tranni, but I did notice it diminished some of the capability of the stone to draw in all the colours around it after it was bezeled - not sure if this is the same as light return?
As in, it was very bright and colourful and easy to photograph when loose, but not as much when set.

I think you are right it will be a case by case thing, but I will be interested to hear the answer too.
(and see your new baby
3.gif
)

ETA:posting at same time as Strm, cheers Strm for info.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 8:23:06 PM
Author: strmrdr
case by case... hold the diamond over a bright red background lookind strait down at the crown where you see red thru the stone will get dark in a bezel.

Now tilt it a little.

OR use an IS and where it is white will be dark.

If there is not extensive leakage it should be fine in a bezel.

Thanks Storm--will do!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 8:25:42 PM
Author: arjunajane
Hey Coats!

Mine''s a lil different being a tranni, but I did notice it diminished some of the capability of the stone to draw in all the colours around it after it was bezeled - not sure if this is the same as light return?

As in, it was very bright and colourful and easy to photograph when loose, but not as much when set.

I think you are right it will be a case by case thing, but I will be interested to hear the answer too.

(and see your new baby
3.gif
)

ETA:posting at same time as Strm, cheers Strm for info.

Thanks sweets! That helps me a lot, actually. The difference is probably subtle--but my eagle eye magnifies these things. I talked with Ann McKay about a potential bezel setting, but I may stick with prongs.
I can''t wait to see it too!
1.gif

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Coati
35.gif

I don''t have an OEC (yet
31.gif
) -- but I hope this is helpful
I have an antique-style cushion, and I saw a dramatic difference when bezeled.
It is D in color, and after it was bezeled it lost alot of its brightness and sparkle (it still reflected the colors of everything around it!)
the pics in the bezel were probably the stone at its brightest- sorry I don''t have better pics for comparison
-- as soon as I had it taken out-- I remembered why I fell in love with the stone

The pic on the top right is a comparison with a CZ (and my diamond is super dirty
32.gif
)

BTW-- can''t wait to see the OEC (and what you decide to do with it!)

bezel-loose1.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 9:45:51 PM
Author: paeony
Hi Coati
35.gif

I don''t have an OEC (yet
31.gif
) -- but I hope this is helpful

I have an antique-style cushion, and I saw a dramatic difference when bezeled.

It is D in color, and after it was bezeled it lost alot of its brightness and sparkle (it still reflected the colors of everything around it!)

the pics in the bezel were probably the stone at its brightest- sorry I don''t have better pics for comparison

-- as soon as I had it taken out-- I remembered why I fell in love with the stone

The pic on the top right is a comparison with a CZ (and my diamond is super dirty
32.gif
)

BTW-- can''t wait to see the OEC (and what you decide to do with it!)

Paeony--thank you! This really helps a lot--exactly what I want to know!

Your ring is gorgeous wow! Did you reset the stone?

I think I''m going to do a simple prong setting for my stone.

Appreciate your input!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Coati!

I have a 3.64ct antique cushion (unusual stone that is cushion shaped but faceted like an OEC) previously set in prongs, which I had reset into a bezel. My experience is that the light performance has not been diminished whatsoever. I see no darkening (the stone has very strong contrast zones, which haven''t changed either). And the one thing I didn''t even think about was how much whiter the diamond faces up now. It''s an M color and the bezel hides the body tint almost completely, so most mistake my stone for an I/J color.

It really depends on the cut of your stone and the size and color too. Bezels and prongs each have their benefits!

(PS - since you already have that LUSCIOUS JM bezel solitaire, prongs might be a nice change, though a bezel will protect the diamond''s girdle better)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
coati- thanks for starting this thread. my grandmother used to have a beautiful OEC or OMC, not sure b/c my parents sold it after she passed away
7.gif
. It was 2.2 carats with L/M color. although her stone is long lost, I''d love to find another old stone that''s similar and was thinking of putting it in a bezel too (something like your ring actually b/c I simply adore your ring
30.gif
). But, since it will already be on the warm side, i''m not sure I want to chance putting it in a bezel and it loosing the effect that makes the warmer old stones so special.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 1:17:31 PM
Author: ericad
Hi Coati!

I have a 3.64ct antique cushion (unusual stone that is cushion shaped but faceted like an OEC) previously set in prongs, which I had reset into a bezel. My experience is that the light performance has not been diminished whatsoever. I see no darkening (the stone has very strong contrast zones, which haven't changed either). And the one thing I didn't even think about was how much whiter the diamond faces up now. It's an M color and the bezel hides the body tint almost completely, so most mistake my stone for an I/J color.

It really depends on the cut of your stone and the size and color too. Bezels and prongs each have their benefits!

(PS - since you already have that LUSCIOUS JM bezel solitaire, prongs might be a nice change, though a bezel will protect the diamond's girdle better)

Thank you for chiming in Erica! Your ring is astonishingly gorgeous!

I still have not received the stone. It's supposedly an H VS1, but I will need to grade it. It was listed at 5.6mm--crown is really high (don't have total depth), so I'm estimating it around .70-.75. I'll measure it when I get it, and do a proper weight estimation--it is mounted. It was also listed as an omc, but the facet pattern and shape indicates oec, but I need to see it in person to be sure.

So--it's a little guy! I want to set it in a really simple mounting to wear as an every day sort of ring. Sometimes I don't want to wear my larger stones. *gasp* haha So, I'm excited to make this ring!

Thanks for your input--helps to hear you perspective. Your stone is so lovely--no setting could hinder that beauty!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My tansitional stone is bezeled and I saw no difference in performance. However, it has very little light leakage and is surprisingly well cut, which could be the reason.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 1:52:58 PM
Author: mrssalvo
coati- thanks for starting this thread. my grandmother used to have a beautiful OEC or OMC, not sure b/c my parents sold it after she passed away
7.gif
. It was 2.2 carats with L/M color. although her stone is long lost, I'd love to find another old stone that's similar and was thinking of putting it in a bezel too (something like your ring actually b/c I simply adore your ring
30.gif
). But, since it will already be on the warm side, i'm not sure I want to chance putting it in a bezel and it loosing the effect that makes the warmer old stones so special.

Thanks mrssalvo!

I'm so sorry that you don't have your grandmother's stone. I bet it was beautiful.

My JM stone is a K, and I can still see the warmth in the bezel setting, but maybe that's because so much of the pavilion is visible--a feature I love.

When I had the K in the six prong, the stone definitely displayed more fire. (brilliance and scintillation are fine in the bezel) At first, I thought it was my imagination, but I did a long photo shoot, and it shows in the pics as well. Not a major difference but, I'm really into dispersion, so I think I'll do prongs for this oec--I just don't want to chance it on a smaller stone.

How fun that you will be looking for a larger old cut! I can't wait to hear more about your progress!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are going with prongs, please baby that stone. Even MrsS chipped the girdle on her OEC and she''s always a very careful person. Many OECs have extremely or very thin girdles which can be damaged easily.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono. I have not yet received the stone, so I don''t know girdle thickness yet, but I will surely baby it, as I do all of my jewelry.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
coati- I can''t wait to see your stone. I used to have an OEC and like chrono said, I did chip the girdle. Of course I have no idea when or where and it''s possible that it happened in one of the resets that the stone endured
40.gif
. I miss my old stone too
39.gif
what type of prong setting are you thinking about for your stone?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 2:45:37 PM
coati- I can''t wait to see your stone. I used to have an OEC and like chrono said, I did chip the girdle. Of course I have no idea when or where and it''s possible that it happened in one of the resets that the stone endured
40.gif
. I miss my old stone too
39.gif
what type of prong setting are you thinking about for your stone?

Sorry about your chipped girdle! Is it noticeable? One of my tran cuts has a chip that I can''t see with my naked eye, so I''m leaving it, rather than having it recut.

I was thinking simple 6 prong for more protection--if I don''t go with a bezel. I hope the girdle is not extremely thin--I''m afraid it will chip upon remounting.
40.gif
It''s currently in a simple four prong, and it needs a new mount--it''s a 7.5, and I''m a 4!

I will post pics when I receive it!
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t wait to see it, Coati!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 3:03:31 PM
Author: Chrono
I can''t wait to see it, Coati!

Me too! I seriously hope the girdle is not too thin, but I''m guessing it will be...aaahhh!

Thanks for your input on the bezel Chrono!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 2:57:48 PM
Author: coatimundi

Sorry about your chipped girdle! Is it noticeable?

no, it wasn''t noticeable and had I kept it I actually was not going to bother with having it polished. Richard Sherwood actually did an appraisal on it loose and spotted the chips but suggested It wasn''t worth messing with.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can always make a paper tube for it sit the diamond in it and see how it looks.
Heavy construction paper will work.
Just don''t use white it is to shinny.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 3:37:24 PM
Date: 2/4/2009 2:57:48 PM

Author: coatimundi

Sorry about your chipped girdle! Is it noticeable?

no, it wasn''t noticeable and had I kept it I actually was not going to bother with having it polished. Richard Sherwood actually did an appraisal on it loose and spotted the chips but suggested It wasn''t worth messing with.

Yah--I think the same. These old stones are charming, but they do have their issues!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 3:38:02 PM
Author: strmrdr
You can always make a paper tube for it sit the diamond in it and see how it looks.

Heavy construction paper will work.

Just don''t use white it is to shinny.

Thanks Storm! I will do that--great idea!

ButterBean

Shiny_Rock
Uh oh ... now you have me worried that my oec/trans is going to suffer from bezeling. I never even thought about that!
Well, not much to be done about it, now that it''s nearing completion if not done already.
33.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I was really curious about this topic, thanks for bringing it up coati. I have to admit the thing that I worry about the most re: bezeling, is if I will be able to get the stone as clean as I can now (with prongs and a halo).

If you''re looking for a way to protect the stone and still have it prong set, a halo could work- if it were set deeply into the halo. My OEC is set that way, and though I haven''t seen it loose ever, I think it has fabulous light return set the way it is. Even if I reset, I''ll probably go with a halo because I think it''s even better protection than a bezel, there''s even more metal between the (very, very, very) thin girdle and the world. Of course you have to like halos, though.
1.gif

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
By the time I got my ring, the stone was already set, so I can''t compare the bezeled diamond to what it would look like in a different setting. But it''s very bright and looks very white (I color). I can''t tell any difference between its light return and that of different stones in prong settings, apart from the obvious differences inherent in the stones themselves.

Re: cleaning -- mine has an open back so it''s super easy to clean (if anything I think easier to clean than a prong setting, since stuff doesn''t get stuck between the prongs). I just scrub the back of it with a toothbrush and cleaning solution, then rinse it off and pat dry with a paper towel.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 11:54:59 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I was really curious about this topic, thanks for bringing it up coati. I have to admit the thing that I worry about the most re: bezeling, is if I will be able to get the stone as clean as I can now (with prongs and a halo).

If you''re looking for a way to protect the stone and still have it prong set, a halo could work- if it were set deeply into the halo. My OEC is set that way, and though I haven''t seen it loose ever, I think it has fabulous light return set the way it is. Even if I reset, I''ll probably go with a halo because I think it''s even better protection than a bezel, there''s even more metal between the (very, very, very) thin girdle and the world. Of course you have to like halos, though.
1.gif

Hi LGK--my JM is really easy to clean. The pavilion area is very open, and the little brush I use (natural bristle kid''s toothbrush) brushes the diamond nicely. So, if you decide to go with a bezel for your reset--an open pavilion area really helps with cleaning. If you use an ultrasonic--won''t matter. I''m a soap and brush type.

Thanks for the input on the halo. I like halos, but I want this to be a super simple every day sort of ring, for when I don''t want to wear a larger stone--so no melee in this one. I generally prefer stone and metal--that''s it. I love to look at pics of pave, though!

I think I''m going to do a very simple 6 prong with a thicker shank. My other rings have such delicate shanks--I''d like something different for this one, but of course, I need to get the stone first! *taps foot*
9.gif

Thanks for the input everyone! I''ll post pics when it arrives.
36.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 2:43:14 AM
Author: Liane
By the time I got my ring, the stone was already set, so I can''t compare the bezeled diamond to what it would look like in a different setting. But it''s very bright and looks very white (I color). I can''t tell any difference between its light return and that of different stones in prong settings, apart from the obvious differences inherent in the stones themselves.

Thanks Liane!

Now--where is your ring?? If you have time, please start a SMTR thread--will ya?
31.gif
I''d love to see!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Arrived!

Very pleased with this stone--very quirky.:) Slightly out of round--approx .80ct

Chunky facets and a high crown. Est. I-J color. Mounting is falling apart haha--one prong is not even touching the stone! Can't wait to reset this one!

1oec1111.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results