shape
carat
color
clarity

Beware: synthetic old cuts

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Perhaps many of you are very aware of this but I wasn't so wanted to share.

I have been looking at pre-loved old cuts online and always felt quite confident that there aren't fakes (at least many) out there. That was until I saw this one. I could be easily fooled into thinking this is a real deal with a bit smudgy pictures, old style setting and much higher price tag.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-96-Ct-...m=192506228220&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226

I guess with the current demand for old cuts, it was bound to happen. Have others come across synthetic oldies or suspected some rocks of being lab made?

If you end up buying one how easy is it to see it's a synthetic stone if inspected with a loupe? Any chance diamond tester is sufficient for that?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Synthetic Old cuts aren’t common. The listing does state that they are simulated diamonds so it is important to read all the listing thoroughly,
Real diamonds are normally flawed so the “perfection” of the “diamond” can be another sign.
The ring on eBay is “new” so that is one telltale sign, that said, plenty of antique rings have had genuine stones replaced somewhere along the way also.
The most important thing is to buy from trustworthy sellers so as to be able to return as “not as described” if you receive a dud. Sometimes sellers aren’t aware, though sometimes they are!
A diamond tester ie a Presidum can easily ID a diamond from a CZ, a white sapphire, white sapphire and white topaz while Moissanite is detectable under a Loupe (double refraction and needle like inclusions).
Harder to detect is the synthetic sapphires and rubies in genuine antique rings. People sometimes forget that synthetic corundum has been around about 100 years and it is sapphire or ruby, just man made, so testing for genuine usually means someone with more equipment.

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 Thanks for your introduction to synthetic stones :)) Yes I saw they clearly state that this is a synthetic diamond but as I said if this was sold in a different setting with different images and description, basically trying to convince me it is the real deal, I would not have second guessed it previously. Especially if the seller appeared reputable. So just wanted to raise awareness that nice fake old cuts are out there and some clever merchants might set them in antique rings and sell them as the real deal sad :((

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy only on the secondary market. I have a great appraiser, so if I make a bad purchase, I will know immediately and return the item. I rely on him completely as he's the expert. Buying vintage has some risk, but having a good appraiser is well worth the extra $60 it costs to be sure. I did once buy a diamond that had a fracture I couldn't see. Appraiser caught it and vendor was really good about it and refunded right away.

fluffboll

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Aino: What's particurlarly awful is that the Indian "jewelller" you linked to has lifted pictures of rings straight from Diamonds by Lauren's website!!! Someone ought to alert David Friedlander.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Aino: What's particurlarly awful is that the Indian "jewelller" you linked to has lifted pictures of rings straight from Diamonds by Lauren's website!!! Someone ought to alert David Friedlander.
I was going to comment that the pictures looked like DBL ones.

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@lyra that is such an advantage in the second hand hunt! I only wish I lived somewhere where I had decent appraisers near by.

@fluffboll huh no wonder why it looks like the real deal!

fluffboll

Rough_Rock
Premium
I've informed David and he's reported the seller to eBay.

KittyKatEve

Rough_Rock
Premium
Definitely something to be wary of and to make sure we are doing our research! :shock:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

that's super annoying. when i see images i recognize from etsy etc. on ebay i report it ...dunno if it does any good. i'm sure the copies those ebayers would make would not turn out great. shameful way to try and look like you have more inventory than you really do. :snooty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results