shape
carat
color
clarity

Better Sooner Than Later - Ring Pic

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Ta Da!

dbgaap81.JPG

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful. Is that Smyth jewelers of MD?
Need more Pics please.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
dbgaap, that is a really beautiful cross-breed setting. I love it!! More pics of the diamond, please. It looks really lovely from this angle. But you know we need more, more, more.
9.gif
Congrats and best wishes. Wear it in health and always happy times.

Shay

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
This is my first attempt at using a digital camera and now I am amazed at the beautiful photos people post.
Sorry these barely do the ring justice.
Yes, we got the ring at Smyth in MD. Feel free to PM me if you want details about the negotiation, etc.
You definitely have to know what you're looking at and request a fair price. I found the gemologists to be knowledgeable and very easy to communicate with. Salemen are salesmen, you know what I mean?
Overall, very good experience.

dbgaap72.JPG

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Lovely!!!! Yes - more, more, more PIX!!! I always wondered how people got such good pix, too - it IS the dig cam!

New camers - so, you must practice - adn what a perfect subject...

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dbgaap:

Nice Ring and Congrats on such a beautifful diamond..
21.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty stone and setting. Good job!
10.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Here is one more picture with some downsizing.
This has been my crash course in digital photography. I used my daughter's camera, sought & bought a flash card reader to replace the one she had lost, installed it on her Mac (NOT INTUITIVE to this PC user) and did the old juggling trick with ring on left hand and camera in right hand.
Woops, I forgot to dust off the ring!!!
None of my 'ring on finger' shots turned out well at all.
And to top it off, i can't find the Sarin report anymore (*&*($%^*).
So, a resounding THANK YOU to all who have actually posted nice clear pic's, cuz I sure did learn a lot by looking at everyone else's stuff.
And thanks for the nice wishes, etc.

dbgaap53.JPG

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Wow! I love the 'combined setting' look, so to say. Very nice! Also nice to see some yellow gold! So pretty, thanks for sharing.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome ring! Love the yellow gold too!
appl.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Now that I've had my ring a few weeks, I have some advice to pass along-

1. If you select a setting based upon a display model, don't assume anything about the proportions of the ring - ask!

The display model I looked at was sized for a 1.5 carat stone and my diamond is 1 carat.

When the ring arrived, it was so different from what I expected! The proportions were way smaller. Of course, duh, the display model was a full 50% larger than what I got.

I assumed they would shrink the head to fit the stone and the band would stay wide. I was going for a bulky sort of look. (well I assumed wrong, which is funny cuz I am soo incredilby anal about details....)

2. The correct size will depend upon the ring. I ordered a 6.5 based upon the bulkier display model AND a wedding band along side of it. I had to get the ring sized down to a 6, as I was in danger of flinging it off with every gesture. With the smaller overall proportion, it's easier to get over my knuckle than a fat ring and it doens't spin much in the smallest size I can comfortably wear.

3. If you are shopping for yellow gold, you won't see much of it in the stores. Just look at all metals and find something you like, then ask for it in the metal you want.

I stayed in the yellow gold display case and it was limited.

4. My ring had to be ordered - custom manufactured to order. The store made a big deal out of "oh the prongs will be hand-made just for your stone". Now that I've worn it a couple of weeks, I can see the imperfections and I don't think this ring is as well made as the display model was.

5. Just love your ring anyway. The thinner band is really easier to wear and the delicate proportion is probably more flattering after all.

I decided to wear it for a couple weeks and wait & see. I wondered, "Why am I being so picky about an object?" (Am I displacing my emotions onto a thing? Uh, yeah I think maybe so)

So, a couple weeks later, can I live with this ring with its' little imperfections?
YES.

Best of all, the diamond ROCKS. It just always sparkles.

The cut is wonderful, I still can't see any clarity imperfections and the J color is now something I think I can discern. I love the full warm appearance of the color.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for sharing your advice with us. I wish that I could be as philosophical about imperfections as you are. I just seem to notice them and can't help being bugged by them (hence my upcoming upgrade).

Your ring is beautiful and you're right to enjoy it to the fullest.

Daniela

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
LOVE the ring! Honestly, I love the side profile? I am getting really into gold now too, as well as the warmer diamonds...I love it!!

Also, thanks for sharing your story!!!! It's always helpful for people to read experiences, and see if they can learn from other people!

By the way, have you tried the triple balance of holding the camera AND a loupe to the lense, AND the diamond ring in the other hand? THAT's always acrobatic...
rolleyes.gif
9.gif

RaeAnn

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous ring!

My e-ring was handmade, not just the head, but the whole thing. One of the first things I did after getting it was to go over it with a magnifying glass (it's got some detail work on it)and I can see that yes, the millegraining here is a little different, this line has a little wobble in it, this prong doesn't look exactly like the other three... And I thought to myself, "A PERSON made this ring, just for me." It wasn't done by a machine, it wasn't mass-produced (not that there's anything wrong with that), because of its imperfections, just like me and just like my fiance, it's completely unique. No one else will have a ring just like it. It's the work of someone's hands who has probably spent a good bit of time at his/her craft (though it has imperfections, the detail is excellent) and it's like a piece of art. So I don't mind!

Enjoy your ring and wear it in good health!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Rae Ann- that's a great attitude.

The odd thing about my reaction was that it was closer to what I really wanted anyway. Initially, my boyfriend had preferred a way heavier setting (now referred to as "the ring that was too butch for you"). The ring I got wound up being WAY closer to my original preference, so ... how could I complain that it 'wasn't what I expected?'!!

odd paradox... Basically i am glad i chilled & didn't complain.
Having said that, I think it's great, too, when a couple can make an upgrade happen or do whatever it takes to get happy.
All I know is that my BF was devoted to getting a ring to make me happy and it worked! Being engaged is better than being almost engaged.
appl.gif
appl.gif
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results