shape
carat
color
clarity

Best time of year to buy Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CaliSun

Shiny_Rock
Hello
35.gif
I''m planning to purchase a diamond from Brian Gavin sometime over the next 6 months.

Does anyone have any insight as to when the best time of year to purchase a diamond from him is? I am not sure if BGD closes from Dec-Jan for the holidays like many other places... Or, if his overall inventory is greatly impacted the way B&M stock is.

I''ve been reading that generally, the best time to buy is before mid-November. Otherwise, to wait until after the New Year since the end of year inventory will be restocked by that point. Honestly, I hesitate to contact Brian and Lesley directly to ask these questions, since I am not ready to buy right at this moment and don''t want to take up their time just yet.

I''ve searched PriceScope for threads about this, and am only finding old topics. Does anyone have any new info to share which may help me as I get set to embark on this exciting purchase?

Thanks in advance!

Here''s a very helpful link I found on PS, I think newer info may be available:
http://https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pricing-trends-in-the-diamond-industry.9626/

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
for me personally, the best time to buy a diamond, is when there is one available that has the specs you are after for the right price.

CaliSun

Shiny_Rock
My inclination is to make my purchase no later than mid-November, as it is my goal to have the stone sent to Mark Morrell by December/January.

I''m not sure if I would have the stone sent directly to MWM... I think I would really want to see it first! But there is a cost associated with all the back-and-forth. But I think I would ask to see it first then send it back to BGD to be sent to Mark Morrell... and skip the appraisal until it''s been set.
Okay, so that was a bit off topic.........

Anyway, if the PS panel of experts feels it''s not a good idea for me to wait that long, I''d appreciate the feedback.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/7/2009 7:57:39 PM
Author: D&T
for me personally, the best time to buy a diamond, is when there is one available that has the specs you are after for the right price.
Ditto!

tulips

Shiny_Rock
yeah.. agree that the best time to buy is when you find the right stone that meet your specification...

i have no such luck of a stone i want....thought I would have it before my birthday (next week) ... but no luck.....

and i am still waiting ...
8.gif

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on what you plan to do with it. If you want to propose on a certain date, then you should be mindful of the time because jewelers are busier around the holidays and tend not to take on additional custom work. I also think it depends on where you plan to purchase it and from whom. Many local stores have better deals halfway between holidays when their stock is replinished and the demand is low. I think online sources you just buy when you have the money and see what you are looking for. Good luck.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Diamond prices are not seasonal, therefore one time of the year is not better than another in terms of pricing... The best time to purchase a diamond is when the one with the characteristics you desire appears because it can be quite difficult to find exactly what you''re looking for "all the time" in a market where the distribution of diamond rough is controlled by the cartels and released in waves of size and quality.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Woot! Please post your MWM when it''s done.

Also, as far as appraisal, it''s easier to get an accurate appraisal with a loose stone. And I completely understand wanting to see it before it''s set. However, if you don''t live in the same city as your appraiser, that does make for a lot of sending back and forth. Maybe you can have BGD send it to you, you bring it to the appraiser and they ship straight to Mark Morrell?

On the original topic, I agree with D&T.

CaliSun

Shiny_Rock
D&T, Lorelei, tulips, Sizzle & Todd Gray:
-
Thanks so much for your input. Sounds like I really need to decide when the right time to buy will be and take it from there.
Since I''m looking to buy online and have custom work done, I need to think carefully about my target completion date and be sure I''m being realistic...
tulips - best of luck to you as you continue your search!! Don''t lose hope, I am sure it will be well worth the wait.
litebrite - You bet I will post photos of my new rings!! I am looking to get a new wedding set and am beside myself with excitement. I am likely to post far too many photos, so be forewarned... But, it won''t be until next Spring/Summer so I have to learn a little patience...
And, thank you very much for your advice about the appraisals. You''re right; it may be little bit of a pain to do, but I think I will be glad I did it in the long run despite the added cost.

I''m targeting to have a new completed set for our 5th anniversary, so my hope was to get the stone to Mr. Morrell nice and early so he can take his time. I want to be mindful of his other commitments since my target date is more of a ''want'' date and not a ''need'' date... Shoot, after all this time, what''s a few more weeks?!

msmith71

Rough_Rock
Despite what I''ve read so far. Diamonds are seasonal. Debeers controls the diamond flow. They release diamonds into the market between January and February each year. Once released there is more selection / supply vs now when that supply has diminished. The best time to buy is after that release.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results