shape
carat
color
clarity

best places to propose in toronto?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

prefvfr

Rough_Rock
Anybody know the best places to propose in and around Toronto?

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on what kind of proposal you want.
1.gif

For an outdoor "let's take a walk" kind of proposal, I like the waterfront, near Palais Royale. Or east of that, near Kew Beach.

For a romantic restaurant type of proposal, I'd choose Scaramouche, hands down.
1.gif
Expensive, but worth it. Tundra at the Hilton downtown is incredible, food-wise, and equally $$$, but the ambience might be a little too stark for a proposal-type of setting.

There's the CN Tower. There's the ACC, when the Leafs or Raptors are playing (if you're both sports fans.) There's a multitude of romantic outdoor skating rinks (Grenadier Pond in High Park, Harbourfront, and Nathan Phillips Square are three that spring to mind) if you skate.

There's the Guild Inn. Lovely location (had my *cough* first wedding reception there.) It's a gorgeous old historical site with tons of character and beautiful property, right on the Bluffs overlooking the lake.

I'll post some more locales as they come to mind.
1.gif

tallandtan2k

Rough_Rock
I am planning on proposing in Toronto as well!
I am thinking of doing it in the 360 restaurant in the CN tower, but that's only the *where* part. I don't know what to do for the *how* part, and that's why I'm here!

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Um, Tall? Not to rain on your parade, but have you eaten there? The view is nice, and the service is okay. That's about the best thing I can say about that restaurant.
sad.gif

tallandtan2k

Rough_Rock
6.gif

Really? No, I've never eaten at, or even seen the 360! Only been up to the deck. I thought it would be nice though?!
Hmm.... that really throws a wrench into my plans, but I would much rather know that now.
Can you reccommed another restauraunt nearby? Worst case scenario, I'll just bring her back to our room at the Royal York, where Champagne and chocolates will be waiting for us.

song

Rough_Rock
We took my son to the CN tower to have a meal and celebrate his 19th birthday. It was very nice. However, I do understand what Cgirl was saying though. The atmosphere was ok, the food so-so, but the view was gorgeous. We thought the waiters would do something special for him when we told him it was his 19th birthday but they completely ignored the occasion.

My favourite restaurant in the city is Sassafrass (spelling looks off) Sassafrazz? It's in Yorkville. The food and presentation is excellent. It is "the" place to go if you want to run into movie stars lol. All over the walls are signed photo's of the most famous of famous. That might sound cheesy, but it's not. It's one of the better places in the city to dine.

Let us know what you decide! ~song

tallandtan2k

Rough_Rock
Thank you Song. Keep the feedback coming! I'm so glad I dropped in here, even if it means I have to go back to the drawing board.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Sassafraz in Yorkville is a good suggestion. I haven't been there since it was the Belair, but I've heard that the food is good.

However, Scaramouche remains my #1 pick for romance.
1.gif
It's also in Yorkville, you should check it out, Tall.
1.gif

tallandtan2k

Rough_Rock
I'll pull up a map when I get a chance, but how far from the Royal York to Yorkville?

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
After rush hour, you're talking about a ten minute trip (if that) from door to door. Straight up University to Avenue Road.
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.toronto.com/profile/145790

tallandtan2k

Rough_Rock
How about a second choice, Canada?
2.gif

How about any of these that are on the Top 10 list?

1. Little Anthony's

2. Seven Numbers Restaurant

3. Abruzzo Pizza

4. Grazie Ristorante

5. Il Mulino

6. Terroni

7. Mamma Martino's Pasta And Pizzeria Restaurant

8. Acceso Restaurant and Wine Bar

9. Spacco Billiards Bar & Eatery

10. Spuntini Ristorante & Bar

http://www.toronto.com/best/results/231

Hopefully one that is close to downtown...

tallandtan2k

Rough_Rock
Any other reccomendations?

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
The only three on the list that I recognize and have been to are Spacco, Grazie, and Mama Martinos. The first two are uptown, and Mama Martinos is out on the Queensway. None of them are downtown and within spittin' distance of the Royal York. Uptown is about 20 minutes away, depending on traffic - and the Queensway is about 20 minutes or more, again, depending on traffic. Out of the three, I'd recommend Grazie, but it's perpetually busy and as far as I know, they don't take reservations.

If you like oysters, there's Rodney's Oyster Bar. If you like upscale, there's Canoe (TD Centre.) Jump has excellent food, too, but you're looking at around $200 for a meal for two, with wine and tip. Canoe's in that ball park too. Jump has the better food out of the two, IMO.
1.gif

I'd call the concierge and get some recommendations for local eateries. Or, walk around the area ahead of time - King West is full of good restaurants - and get an idea of what you're looking for. The Esplanade is also an option, although most of the restaurants have more of a bar-like atmostphere there.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I just saw Seven Numbers on your list. An AMAZING restaurant - terrific food - but uptown, not downtown, unfortunately.
sad.gif

k-man

Rough_Rock
On the upscale ($200+ with wine) side of things, I've been to North 44 and Scaramouche and it was great and I would recommmend both. Food was fabulous. Other upscales to think about that I have not been to: Centro, Susur, Easy on the Fifth.

On the mid scale ($150) I would suggest Goldfish, Curiosity, Patriot (although the chef has left since I was there), Rouge. All good, nice ambience, service, presentation, etc.

Good luck!

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Hi Tall,

If you are thinking of proposing at a restaurant, I would not suggest the 360. My #1 pick is Canoe. Love that place - simple, sleek, good food, most of all, the view is the best. Just amazing.

You could hardly see much of TO from CN Tower, everything looks very small. On the other hand, Canoe is located on the 54th floor at the TD Bank Tower, and you could see the lake, Toronto Islands and the sunset near CNE. It's one of the best places logistically. Just 3 minutes walk from the Royal York. You don't even need to go outside if you use the PATH.

If you decide to go with Canoe, remember to call ahead and reserve for a window seat. I think the view will just take her breath away.

Jump has good food too. It's owned by the same owners who own Canoe, however, it is located at the Commerce Court and IMO, the decor of restaurant is somewhat ordinary. For a bit more $, I'll go with Canoe. That place is so much more romantic.

Another good one around downtowm is this new place called Bymark, located at the base of TD Tower. It's the talk of the town at the moment. Opened a few months ago by the famous Mark McEwan who started North 44. Nice decor and food is great. Dinner for 2 is <$200.

Hope my suggestions help. Good luck.

tallandtan2k

Rough_Rock
I went against the advice given, and ran with the 360. No regrets though!
There were SO many other places to eat that I couldn't decide. I did go to Bistro 990 the day prior and was amazed at the food. Delicious!

The 360 worked out perfect. The food was absolutely incredible. We ordered every item off of the Pre Fixe menu and kept swapping dishes with each other to allow us to taste everything.

I came up with the proposal idea while there, when the photographer came around to take our picture. I had him come back when we received our dessert, and had him tell us that the original photo didn't turn out, so he would have to retake it. When he did, I went next to her and as we posed for the picture, I pulled the ring out and held it in front of her. When she looked down and saw it, she was in total shock. I asked her to marry me (learned from this site, not to say too much since she won't remember!) and our eyes welled up as she said yes!

She was so surprised. She suspected it, but once I checked my coat, she thought "nah!".

It was absolutely perfect.... except that the second picture that the photographer took -- when I actually gave her the ring, didn't come out.
sad.gif

Otherwise, very memorable! The staff was great, even the people near us were great! The table next to us even bought us champagne!!

From there, we went back to the room at the Fairmont, where Champage on ice, chocolates, and a rose were waiting for us. We kept that on ice, and hit some local bars for a drink. Joe Badeli's was very cool. They brought us a free piece of Tiramisu. Delish!!

We had in room breakfast delivered the following morning and then missed our 11:40 train!!
6.gif
. Fortunately, we caught one at 12:00 and got to ride coach. Very nice!!!

I'll post some pictures of the gorgeous ring later.

synth19

Rough_Rock
Is there some sort of Mediterranean themed restaurant in Toronto? I here you eat in your own private tent? True? I think a great way to surprise someone waiting alone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results