shape
carat
color
clarity

Best place to buy spinel?

ClaireH

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if anyone knew the best place to buy blue spinel? Ive been looking at jewelsapphire.com and some of the stones really take my fancy. The problem is I'm not a jewellery expert so I dont know if they are good quality stones or not, or if the site is reputable. I was looking at true blue or violet blue colour, 3 - 4 carats and antique cushion cut. I want a really beautiful stone so that I can have it set in a yellow gold ring with channel set baguette cut diamonds in the shoulders (its for my engagement ring :love: ). I just suffer from a wee bit of magpie syndrome :bigsmile: Thanks in advance!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not had a lot of luck with that particular spinel outlet. Their photos look better than the real thing. I have had a lot of success with Odysseygem and Gemburionline, if you're not picky about precision cuts. Finding a good violet spinel is difficult. I would always ask the vendor if the stone has a lot of grey and/or is overly dark.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not familiar with this vendor and can't say whether they're reputable or not, but what I'm seeing of their blue spinels on the front page is, honestly, not impressing me. On my monitor, most of the stones look very dark and/or gray. Many have pronounced bowties or show half-and-half patterning; the cutting generally doesn't strike me as very good.

For an engagement ring, I'd keep looking.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
ClaireH|1291409692|2786610 said:
I was wondering if anyone knew the best place to buy blue spinel? Ive been looking at jewelsapphire.com and some of the stones really take my fancy. The problem is I'm not a jewellery expert so I dont know if they are good quality stones or not, or if the site is reputable. I was looking at true blue or violet blue colour, 3 - 4 carats and antique cushion cut. I want a really beautiful stone so that I can have it set in a yellow gold ring with channel set baguette cut diamonds in the shoulders (its for my engagement ring :love: ). I just suffer from a wee bit of magpie syndrome :bigsmile: Thanks in advance!

I've only seen one that was a true 'blue' - it was a cobalt spinel and was VERY expensive. They're rare and your chances of finding one in a set size and carat weight would be very difficult.

If you don't mind a more greyish blue then the hunt will be easier.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock

Don't know if this is the BEST place to get spinel, but here's a nice stone. The seller is reputable and open to offers. Its not antique cushion cut but it is a cushion.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
this maby generic but just ck on ebay under spinel or blue spinel & just have a look-there is loads of the stuff-just b careful & read what u are looking at-still buying-steve...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MAC-W|1291432073|2786953 said:

Don't know if this is the BEST place to get spinel, but here's a nice stone. The seller is reputable and open to offers. Its not antique cushion cut but it is a cushion.

Why is the background blue? That's my only qualm with this photo, and no one can verify the existence of the SLP lab. It could exist, but we've had discussions about this seller before on PS, and the SLP lab.

BTW, not stating that gem-earth is selling synthetic spinels, but I would be very careful of synthetics from any ebay seller, especially lighter blue stones with no inclusions at all. When I do buy spinels, I generally buy them with inclusions, especially the negative crystal inclusions. You have to still be careful, even on ebay.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results